Geocacher Magazine

If you do a search of the Groundspeak forum and some of the larger local forums, you will discover that it seems that they shipped their first issue (May/June 2008) to some subscribers, but they have not shipped any issues since then, and there have been a number of complaints published in the forums to the extent that they are no longer responding to emails.

I can fully understand the fact that a geo print magazine would eventually flop, and probably sooner rather than later -- our sport is simply not yet large enuf nor popular enuf to support a print magazine -- and thus an eventual failure of the mag is not anything to be ashamed of, but what would bother me a bit would be the failure of the staffers or the publisher to even respond to email and other inquiries; that is downright weird, entirely uncivil, and also somewhat suspicious! Oh, and Miss Manners asks me to share that she feels that such behavior is impolite as well, and that the publishers of the magazing will NEVER be invited to ANY of her parties!

If you do a search of the Groundspeak forum and some of the larger local forums, you will discover that it seems that they shipped their first issue (May/June 2008) to some subscribers, but they have not shipped any issues since then, and there have been a number of complaints published in the forums to the extent that they are no longer responding to emails.

I can fully understand the fact that a geo print magazine would eventually flop, and probably sooner rather than later -- our sport is simply not yet large enuf nor popular enuf to support a print magazine -- and thus an eventual failure of the mag is not anything to be ashamed of, but what would bother me a bit would be the failure of the staffers or the publisher to even respond to email and other inquiries; that is downright weird, entirely uncivil, and also somewhat suspicious! Oh, and Miss Manners asks me to share that she feels that such behavior is impolite as well, and that the publishers of the magazing will NEVER be invited to ANY of her parties!

Such a shame. I would love to see a good geocaching magazine. Well the sport does seem to be growing so maybe someday there will be a reputable one. I personally do not subscribe to anything before I can try it out.

Even though I love having something physical in my hands like a magazine to read, it really seems like overall the internet 'zines can be better. Everything at your fingertips, you can look up past issues and articles, and there are no magazines stacking up in the house making your spouse go crazy. :lol: A lot of mags are going the internet route anyway, so why mess with a good thing? Today's Cacher was great.

Edited by Ambrosia

Even though I love having something physical in my hands like a magazine to read, it really seems like overall the internet 'zines can be better. Everything at your fingertips, you can look up past issues and articles, and there are no magazines stacking up in the house making your spouse go crazy. :( A lot of mags are going the internet route anyway, so why mess with a good thing? Today's Cacher was great.

I agree. Part of geocaching is Internet related, and as such many geocachers have blogs and podcasts. Then there's the various discussion forums that are filled with good advice and stories. I find these to be a much better source of info that something that was published a month or so ago... and you don't have to pay for it. :lol:

Such a shame. I would love to see a good geocaching magazine. Well the sport does seem to be growing so maybe someday there will be a reputable one. I personally do not subscribe to anything before I can try it out.

Today's Cacher was both good and reputable, and had it been kept to the Internet I think it would be the supreme geocaching publication today. It still gets more visits two years after publication ceased than any other magazine or e-zine on geocaching! Trying to go to print killed it, subscriptions just didn't come close to covering the cost. Their model was to provide some free content on the web and paid subscriptions to more content in the print version.

I think that Geocacher Magazine does the same.

This gives you the try it before you buy it opportunity.

Geocacher Magazine's status is unknown to me at this point; I haven't seen or heard anything from them lately. I had asked them to send an article about their magazine to be published in The Online Geocacher but 'we're working on it' was the last I heard several months ago. Their initial edition was excellent, so I hope they make it.

There is an online magazine available to all geocachers that I think is quite good... The Online Geocacher (published only as an e-zine, it will never go to print) is all about geocaching, is totally free and ad-free, and all content comes from you, the geocaching community.

Articles submitted are generally published within hours and all articles are kept available in archives.

Subscriber info is confidential and will never be shared or sold.

All content is available for free whether you subscribe or not; all that subscribing does is get you an email when new content is published, since we publish in real-time rather than as periodic editions. That way you don't have to check daily for new content (Like the article from catsnfish that came in last night which I will be publishing this morning!).

The geocaching community in another thread asked for a magazine, so I created The Online Geocacher to give them a way to publish whatever they wish that is at all related to geocaching. It's not a business and I cover any costs as a gift to the geocaching community.

Even so, subscriptions and content submissions are fairly slow, confirming my belief that geocachers don't want one in large enough numbers to ever make a print, or even a for-fee online, magazine fly.

Hopefully all that qualifies it as "reputable"!

There are a number of other geocaching blogs and online magazines out there, I list all of them as I find them in the Links section of The Online Geocacher.

Whichever magazine, e-zine or blog you choose, none of them will fly without your content submissions... share your stories, ideas, news and information - just write something and send it in!

I hadn't meant to ignore the Online Geocacher in my post. Honestly, while I must have noticed a thread about it in the past, it hadn't registered in my mind and I've never looked at it. I'll have to check it out. :P

Oh, it's gooooood.... especially the story about the Serial Finder...

AR, will there be more chapters to that story? I didn't like the way it ended. :anibad::blink:

Edited by TeamAtlas

Looks like their still trying to keep it going. Her's a copy of email I got from them a couple minutes ago.

Greetings fellow cachers & GeoMag subscribers!

This email is to advise you of a few changes we are undergoing and to keep you Up To Speed on the current status of the publication.

We have had to relocate our offices on short notice including rerouting phone service, utilities, mail, internet, etc. During this transition, we have also sadly lost a key member of our staff, our much valued editor, Elisika Arango.*

* You can read her farewell blog posting at http://www.geocachermagazine.com/blog

As a result, the content for the July / August issue did not go to print on time and is now out of date.

We are working with some new staff members and plan to get the next issue to print in the very near future.

Every subscriber will receive their full subscription, but not quite as timely as we had originally planned.

Please continue to send us your wonderful stories, ideas and suggestions and more of those great photos of you, your friends and your family out caching!

Send to: http://www.geocachermagazine.com/about_you.php

Thank you very much for your continued patience and support of Geocacher Magazine. Keep an eye out for an email notification from me with the production date of the next issue.

Cache On!

Michael Jacobus - Publisher

Geocacher Magazine

I recently hauled a load of newprint, and picked up the shipper's company newsletter while I was loading. The price of newsprint is going up, magazines usually use a higher priced bleached paper. Along with shipping and handling cost, you will see more magazines and newspapers having troubles or raising rates.

What I saw of the GeoCacher Magazine was great, but so many start-ups spit and jump in the beginning. I wish the publication well, but there are serious hurdles to overcome. Please help if you can.

Edited by Trucker Lee
Assuming that you are talking about Today's Cacher, I think that the experience (and the piles of unsold magazines in his basement) left a sour taste in the publisher's mouth. Lots of us have encouraged him to bring it back on line, I hope he does.

Thats a darn shame. I seriously am willing to purchase a set from him if he is willing to do something like that. I loved all the articles in them, and they gave me some great ideas.

If you can get in touch with him, tell him I am interested in a set of the magazines. I would love to have them at work, they would be great lunch time reads.

Assuming that you are talking about Today's Cacher, I think that the experience (and the piles of unsold magazines in his basement) left a sour taste in the publisher's mouth. Lots of us have encouraged him to bring it back on line, I hope he does.

Thats a darn shame. I seriously am willing to purchase a set from him if he is willing to do something like that. I loved all the articles in them, and they gave me some great ideas.

If you can get in touch with him, tell him I am interested in a set of the magazines. I would love to have them at work, they would be great lunch time reads.

Jerry Carter, aka El Diablo, Publisher of Today's Cacher, can be contacted at jc364@aol.com. I have no doubt that he'd love to sell as many of the old copies as you want to buy!

His experience is why I decided that The Online Geocacher would not be a business. No staff, no meetings, very little cost, no begging folks for content to be in before a deadline... just an open invite for anyone to send whatever they want when they want. I published two new articles today; if no more come in for a week I am not out anything except the enjoyment of reading them.

If Jerry ever does reprise Today's Cacher he may adopt some of those ideas as well.