Cache listing denied

Meet_the_Robinsons

Has anyone else had their cache listing denied because of no logbook in the cache?

Just got this email when I tried to list a cache and I thought it was odd since I had no idea a logbook was an absolute requirement for a cache.

---

Thanks for your new cache submission.

1. Your listing says that you don't think that there is a logbook in the cache. That's a problem, because a logbook is the only item that is an essential requirement for a geocache. It is also unacceptable to ask finders to bring your cache up to the minimum specification for you. Therefore, I regret that I cannot publish your cache as it stands. Once you have placed a logbook or logsheet in the cache, or confirmed that it does actually contain one, please log a reviewer note on your cache listing and I'll have another look at it.

2. I don't understand your hint which says "Hidden sub-terrain... no real digging required tho'". Please describe how you have hidden the cache, and what the reference to digging means.

I've placed your cache on hold for now, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

IMPORTANT

To respond, please log a reviewer note or email Reviewer Please DO NOT click "reply", because I will not receive it.

To post a Reviewer Note, go to your cache page awaiting review. On the menu (top right of the page) select "log your visit". As you own this cache one of the options in the drop down menu is "Post Reviewer Note". Select this, write your note and click "Submit log entry" as usual. This will add the note to the cache page, and will send me an email. Reviewer Notes are only visible to you and a reviewer, and are automatically deleted when I publish the cache.

---

Anyone else have this experience?

*Private Information removed - Mod

Edited by GlobalRat

Yep - I think that is pretty straight forward. The minimum requirement for a cache would be a logbook - or at least a logsheet that the cacher who finds the cache can log that he has in fact found it. Even the smallest Nano caches have a logsheet in them - very small and normally quiet difficult to remove, sign and return, but a logsheet nonetheless. Micro and Nano caches might not have pens or pencils in them, but they will always have a logbook or logsheet.

As for the "sub-terrain" reference. The guidelines are clear that a cache may not be buried at all.

Good luck and I hope that you get your cache published when it gets its logbook / logsheet.

1. The reviewer is 100% correct. No logbook – no cache. The logbook is the one cachers used to complete their visit. With an earth cache it is not needed but you have to reply to the owner of the earth cache with answer which will give you permission to log a find.

2. Cachers are not allowed to bury caches in circumstances where any tool is needed to dig for it. You need to explain to the reviewer how the cache was hidden. The reviewer is not your enemy he is only applying the rules. If you drop him an e-mail I am sure he will assist and help where possible to make it possible to comply with the rules.

Gerhard

I think you have your answer. But while we are on the topic of cache placements and their contents, an extract from the guidelines regarding such:-

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

These items are still frequently found in caches, even new ones, please remove them if safe to do so, or contact the owner/reviewer.

Also, check out the New Groundspeak Knowledgebase for guidelines for all things caching.

Last, but not least, welcome to the forums.

Hi MeettheRobinsons

Keep on - don't get too worried about this - just a way to keep consistency. The only "non logbook" caches are virtual and webcam caches (both of which one can not place anymore) - event caches and earthcaches.

So get a logbook in - there are a few websites with downloads for small caches if you need them (just get in pdf or Word format and print).

But do keep on - and the cache will be published easily enough.

I trust that it isn't really difficult to get to.

Hi MeettheRobinsons

Keep on - don't get too worried about this - just a way to keep consistency. The only "non logbook" caches are virtual and webcam caches (both of which one can not place anymore) - event caches and earthcaches.

So get a logbook in - there are a few websites with downloads for small caches if you need them (just get in pdf or Word format and print).

Well it's a pity because I asked the FTF to bring a logbook in my posting but evidently it can't be posted now. I won't get to the site in the next few months likely so it's prolly just going to be written off.

Did the FTF drop a logbook off?

If they did - then you have met the requirements, - get it listed and then they can log a FTF in retrospect?

:laughing: CH - If the cache wasn't published then there would not have been a FTF me thinks! B)

Meet the Robinsons - there is always a way around your problem. Contact a cacher in the area where you have hidden the cache and ask for assistance to get a logbook placed in the cache. Every "new" cache is an asset to the game. "Advertise" on this Forum for a cache who might be willing to help you. I am sure you will find a willing helper in no time at all.

Good luck and I am looking forward reading that your cache has been published.

Meet the Robinsons - there is always a way around your problem. Contact a cacher in the area where you have hidden the cache and ask for assistance to get a logbook placed in the cache. Every "new" cache is an asset to the game.

We all want new caches, however do take the maintenance requirements into account and discuss these with the reviewer if you are unable to visit the cache on a regular basis yourself.

Again, from the guidelines:-

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe your maintenance plan on your cache page. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

Some other reading you may find of interest here

Edited by GlobalRat

Hi MeettheRobinsons

Well it's a pity because I asked the FTF to bring a logbook in my posting but evidently it can't be posted now. I won't get to the site in the next few months likely so it's prolly just going to be written off.

So you also placed a cache that you can't maintain for months at a time? :laughing:

Anyway, see if someone can go put a log book in it for you and will also help maintain it. Then it can be up and running!

Edited by carleenp

Has anyone else had their cache listing denied because of no logbook in the cache?...

Yes. Back in late 2002 log books became mandatory. Before that they were optional (strongly suggested though) in micro's.

As for writing off the cache. What the heck is up wiht that? I fully undertand if you don't get back to a remote area for a few months but if you are willing to write it off, that just means you were never willing to maintain the cache at all. Which brings us to Carleenp's advice.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I forgot to put a cache not and log book in my last cache... That was until I had a look at the pics I took and found that I had indeed left a micro sheet in the cache... So it counts. Anyway it has been active for over a month and I will be going to it on Saturday to put in a logbook and stash note... But it was listed anyway.

But all caches must have a stash note in at the least.

Thanks, just another small problem. I was there and the waypoint is not accurate – would you please be so kind to check on it next week? :laughing:

Thanks mate.

Gerhard

Not a problem could you please bring a long your GPS and we can confirm it's accuracy as to mine and Rhino's. I did a 30 min averaging while placing the cache so it should be spot on. Arrange the date and we can do a double check on it. By the way the guided tour to the top does not come cheap....!

And while on that subject anybody keen to do the hike to the top.... I am willing and barely able....!

Thanks, just another small problem. I was there and the waypoint is not accurate – would you please be so kind to check on it next week? :laughing:

Thanks mate.

Gerhard

Not a problem could you please bring a long your GPS and we can confirm it's accuracy as to mine and Rhino's. I did a 30 min averaging while placing the cache so it should be spot on. Arrange the date and we can do a double check on it. By the way the guided tour to the top does not come cheap....!

And while on that subject anybody keen to do the hike to the top.... I am willing and barely able....!