Geocoin/TB Bummer

puzzlefam

The first time we encountered a geocoin, we were intrigued. We went home, looked up the tracking number then did research about them. We were ALL excited! We went onto eBay and a couple coin sites and each of us got a coin we just HAD TO HAVE! My husband went the TB / Bison tube route. We came up with missions and sent them on their way, eager to learn of their travels. My older kids' coins were in a race to see which one could go to the most states in a year! (TB2224N & TB22M1Z) People were posting photos...everything was great. THEN IT ALL WENT TO **LL! Half of our coins/TBs are missing! The kids are bummed. I'm bummed! The baby's coin was suppose to travel for a year, then the coin and log was going to be apart of his baby book. (TB1WHAT) ITS GONE! Grrrrrr :laughing: I am orginally from Chicago and had found a coin that looked JUST LIKE a Chicago Hot Dog. If you have ever been to Chicago you KNOW the obession we have with the perfect hot dog. (No ketchup, thats just wrong! Tomatoes, please and don't forget the celery salt...okay I am getting WAY OFF TRACK) That coin, GONE! B)

The first time a saw a "paper" coin, I though, "HOW CHEESEY!" Boy do I ever get it now! For now we have our coins, here at home, safe and sound, but with no travel logs....HOW SAD! I can't send anymore out right now...I couldn't stand having yet another one go missing!

I KNOW I am not the only one who has dealt with this...but I am wondering, why do we still send them out?

Even though I've had nearly 70 geocoins go missing, I keep sending them out because I enjoy seeing photos of my geocoins at different locales. I also enjoy reading about geocachers finding their first geocoin in the wild.

But yeah, it is a bummer when your first geocoin goes missing. Hopefully some day it resurfaces. I've had geocoins go missing for over a year to one day being found in a cache.

It appears that the thrill of the unknown keeps coins going out. We all wish for the best of a coin but yet if we accept the fact that anything can happen on it's journey then it will lessen the impact if something does. I am going to release my first coin very soon on it's way. It is like a close family member. It travels will become its memories that it shares with me and like all good things it's travels will end and I will treat it as a death in the family. I will be sad at first but will remember it always when I look at it's travels in the logs.

Have you sent a question message to the 6th grade cacher that logged a visit to the cache after the coin was dropped.

A quick glance shows that s/he picked up two trackables back in April and is still holding them. Perhaps they have yours too...

But then again, maybe not...

So sorry that this happens, reality hits hard.

Yes, Actually I have. I went back and e-mailed a BUNCH of people who found the cache after my coin was dropped and then went missing! I actually found 2 that way with the cachers apologizing A LOT. I was just thankful they had it!

Have you sent a question message to the 6th grade cacher that logged a visit to the cache after the coin was dropped.

A quick glance shows that s/he picked up two trackables back in April and is still holding them. Perhaps they have yours too...

Yes, Actually I have. I went back and e-mailed a BUNCH of people who found the cache after my coin was dropped and then went missing! I actually found 2 that way with the cachers apologizing A LOT. I was just thankful they had it!

Then you really have done all you can other than rename the coin STOLEN which is what anyone who tries to log a discover or buys it off another website sees it.

Then you really have done all you can other than rename the coin STOLEN which is what anyone who tries to log a discover or buys it off another website sees it.

Hadn't thought of that! Thanks! Will do that when I get home from work!

I sometimes go back to look at logs for caches I've visited. I recently noted that a coin I discovered in a cache was reported as not being there two cachers later. I emailed the cacher who found the cache after I did and she replied that the coin was not in the cache at the time she logged her visit. I checked the history of trackables for the cache and made a very interesting discovery. The coin had been grabbed by a cacher who never logged a find for the cache itself. In fact, this cacher (resisting the temptation to use an accusatory word) shows 14 coins in her hands. She has NO cache finds. In every case, she retrieved the coin with the comment "found and moving". I emailed her and posed this question to her...

Please take a look at the August 27th through September 10th logs for "giont,s

standing tall" [GC1C5QY]. I see that "Signal Geocoin - Apr 07" is in your hands,

yet you show no cache finds. The coin was never logged out of that cache. I'm

curious how that came to be. Could you shed some light on that? Obviously, I've

a thing or two to learn about geocaching.

I'll be curious to see what reply, if any, I get back. I wonder if I should report this to geocaching.com.