Vehicle Travel Bug

JandN93

Over a year ago our friends from Wyoming pulled into our drive way in the first "America's largest Travel bug." It was a very long, new motor home. It was the first travel bug of this type that we had ever seen. Now, we have 3 automobiles that are each a travel bug with their own tag numbers. It is fun to receive an email from someone who saw us driving down the Interstate, or in a shop parking lot, and even at events. It is so much fun. We even had a cacher pull in the driveway just to get the number because they had heard about the TB's. There are several companies now making the decals, I would suggest that you inquire how large and tall the numbers are. I have seen some that are to small to read from the road. The bigger, the better. Karen

Well, we decided to bite the bullet and order one. We got a new (to us) truck and we also want to get a custom see-thru graphic for the back window. It's going to become our caching vehicle.

Any thoughts on the custome see-thru graphic? We already have somewhat designed something, but we are trying to figure out where to get it.

Thanks!!

Mine is on order.

With all the threads talking about TB's going missing, I figure it's less likely (but not impossible) that someone will take it without logging it properly.

But where am I going to find an ammo can big enough to hold an F250? :rolleyes:

It arrived in yesterday's mail. :) Now I guess I have to wash the truck :ph34r:

The Golden Cachemobile should be on the road soon. B)

Mine is on order.

With all the threads talking about TB's going missing, I figure it's less likely (but not impossible) that someone will take it without logging it properly.

Make sure your truck is completely dry in the spot you place the magnet otherwise dirt can get in behind it.

Mine is on order.

Make sure your truck is completely dry in the spot you place the magnet otherwise dirt can get in behind it.

Good advice, even though we got the sticker and not the magnet.

Well, we decided to bite the bullet and order one. We got a new (to us) truck and we also want to get a custom see-thru graphic for the back window. It's going to become our caching vehicle.

Any thoughts on the custome see-thru graphic? We already have somewhat designed something, but we are trying to figure out where to get it.

Thanks!!

How about the travel bug bug in its side with the number below itlike this

truck.jpg

Edited by stryder717

Ours just came in today. We got the stickers, too. We are in the process of having a really cool rear window graphic made and then we will have the travel bug stickers in the back side windows of the truck. Hopefully we can have everything in place before we go to the GeoCoinFest in Pittsburgh next month!! This is all so fun :-)

My car TB will be here today! Can't wait to put in on the car for discovery. :rolleyes:

Aha! I shall have to be on the hunt! Seriously though, once I find it you'll have to tell me how it works...I've been thinking of getting one too.

It works just like a TB only you don't let people take your car and move it. You only log "discovered" instead of "retrieve" (take from a cache) or "grab" (get it from somewhere else, or another cacher) on these TBs. Some are magnets, some are stickers, some are decals. Some are home made, some are not. There are no approved vendors that can be listed in here for this item. Easy method: You can simply buy a set of TB tags, take the number to someone who makes decals, magnets or stickers, and have one made up using the number from the TB tag. And then if you ever sell the car (or something else happens to it) you still have the tags to release or make another sticker.

I have one -- it should be my avatar -- but I can't get anybody to DISCOVER it. Dunno why -- the magnet with the number on it is on the side of the sleeper. Maybe it's too high for the average person to notice, but that's the only magnetic thing on the truck!

I picked up a baseball hat with a trackable TB code on it here. Don't have to leave it to chance for someone to find my vehicle - it goes with me to events, caching, anywhere...

But where am I going to find an ammo can big enough to hold an F250? :huh:

Try a 2nd hand shipping container... they are big enough (some), and weather proof if you shop to avoid rusted out ones... Just paint them whatever you wish... Heck you might get some US Army surplus already in camo.

But where am I going to find an ammo can big enough to hold an F250? :laughing:

Try a 2nd hand shipping container... they are big enough (some), and weather proof if you shop to avoid rusted out ones... Just paint them whatever you wish... Heck you might get some US Army surplus already in camo.

Good idea! Just think of how much swag that would hold :D:laughing::D:D

I'm trying to buy a Black Jeep Geocoin, which I will then activate, and put the tracking number on one of my Jeeps.

At least, when anybody discovers it, they will get the Jeep icon.

If I can't get the coin with a Jeep Icon, I will probably go with the Tread Lightly Icon instead.

If there is a Jeep Liberty icon, attached to a coin, I would like to use that on one of the Jeeps, and keep the TJ icon for the other.

Ivan

I am new to geocaching and saw the vechile travel bug on a web page so I ordered one to place on my dodge daytona and so far there has only been one reply to the bug but since I just got it I have not had much time to drive it around except to and from work at night and the rest of the time it remains hidden durring the day. I am just getting into this and it combines my two hobbies, computers and gps, now only if I could find a way to combine it with my third hobby, ham radio. Hopefully, the more I drive the car around there will be more responses to the travel bug. I also thought that the bug design fit really well with the car type.

:ph34r::blink::):P

I am new to geocaching and saw the vechile travel bug on a web page so I ordered one to place on my dodge daytona and so far there has only been one reply to the bug but since I just got it I have not had much time to drive it around except to and from work at night and the rest of the time it remains hidden durring the day. I am just getting into this and it combines my two hobbies, computers and gps, now only if I could find a way to combine it with my third hobby, ham radio. Hopefully, the more I drive the car around there will be more responses to the travel bug. I also thought that the bug design fit really well with the car type.

:ph34r::blink::):P

Have you looked here for combining GPS and HAM?

My car has been a travel bug for over a year now... I get more interest in wal-mart parking lots from little old ladies trying to figure out what my liscence plate is spose to say (yes, I have custom plates to match the little TB decal in the window)

I tell them when they figure it out...they can share thier results on geocaching.com

LOL and maybe I have helped a few find a new sport in the process!!

I have had a TB hanging in my vechile for a little over a year now. Just saw the sticker and magnet ideas and that is really cool. No one has logged the travel bug yet but I drop it in and pick it up of every cache I go to in order to track my milage. Might try to make an event every now and again so people can see them.

I have had a TB hanging in my vechile for a little over a year now. Just saw the sticker and magnet ideas and that is really cool. No one has logged the travel bug yet but I drop it in and pick it up of every cache I go to in order to track my milage. Might try to make an event every now and again so people can see them.

Ayep. Two years, two logs. I've never really encouraged people to get one. Just answered questions on where and how.

seems this thread has answered a question i had,

i have a vinyl cutter at home (only just got it) and we're getting a new car in May, which i want to have as a TB (it's a smart car, so may be small enough to be carried between caches :antenna:

i was going to buy some regular dog tags, and make my own car TB logo up with the dog tags tracking number on my vinyl cutter, but was wondering if that would be against some rules... like you must buy the car TB sticker from a registered seller or something.

i want to make my own TB sticker as i want a specific colour to go with the cars colour scheme. and i want it to be a specific size too, and of course as i have a vinyl cutter it'd be silly to take the design to someone else and pay for it to be done.

i have an idea for my car and TB sticker... i cache with pet rats, so i was going to put a stripe over the car made of ratties paw prints, and when they get to the back of the car, there'll be a rat sat on the bumper eating something,

was going to be the car's logo in his paws with a nibble out of it, but now i'm thinking of having him eating the TB logo,

Holding the bug by it's body and nibbeling on one of it's legs, the tracking number will still be below it's rear legs, so it'll be recognisable as a TB to log.

seems this thread has answered a question i had,

i have a vinyl cutter at home (only just got it) and we're getting a new car in May, which i want to have as a TB (it's a smart car, so may be small enough to be carried between caches :laughing:

i was going to buy some regular dog tags, and make my own car TB logo up with the dog tags tracking number on my vinyl cutter, but was wondering if that would be against some rules... like you must buy the car TB sticker from a registered seller or something.

i want to make my own TB sticker as i want a specific colour to go with the cars colour scheme. and i want it to be a specific size too, and of course as i have a vinyl cutter it'd be silly to take the design to someone else and pay for it to be done.

i have an idea for my car and TB sticker... i cache with pet rats, so i was going to put a stripe over the car made of ratties paw prints, and when they get to the back of the car, there'll be a rat sat on the bumper eating something,

was going to be the car's logo in his paws with a nibble out of it, but now i'm thinking of having him eating the TB logo,

Holding the bug by it's body and nibbeling on one of it's legs, the tracking number will still be below it's rear legs, so it'll be recognisable as a TB to log.

7000 ton TB... I'm gonna need a bigger ammo can! would a 1000 cal work?