Bridges of Caching County...

greg1701

Hi all..

Finally got around to placing some caches and I must say I've enjoyed it immensely... looking to expand my current area of placement. (I posted earlier about keeping them close to home and whether it was a good idea... a lot of people said no but I've run into many people looking for mine, and helped them along the way and made a few new friends.. so I'd say Yes to anyone who asks that same question again... but I babble.. anyway..)

There is a large interstate bridge near me where you can bicycle under it on a well marked path.. there are giant holes in the bridge that are perfect for a cache placement, but I was wondering in our post 9/11 world whether anyone would get in trouble rooting around a large public transporation structure...

Has anyone had any experience with this? Are caches near bridges and the like discouraged now?

Just wonderin' out loud...

thanks

Greg

As with any advice you can take it or leave it. There is no other way I can say this. DON'T Do It!!!

When it comes to historical placements, government like buildings, public bridges, airports, etc. Leave them be... Go that half mile away and find some other area. They are not worth the drama they can cause to muggles and the general public. How big of a flashing neon sign does anyone in the caching community need after reading the dozens of articles showing law officers blowing up lock n lock boxes wrapped only in duct tape???? In addition, if you do decide to put ANY geocache in an area that the public can accidentally find your hide; for crying out loud label the darn thing.

If we are clever enough to hide caches in plain site we should be intelligent enough and take responsibility for hiding smartly.

Phew, my .02c

-HHH :laughing:

I get enough submissions like this that I have a form letter for them:

Sorry, but I cannot list your cache because it is placed on or beneath a major highway bridge. See the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines regarding off-limits locations here: (visit link) and you will see that "highway bridges" are specifically mentioned. I would gladly allow a cache under a footbridge, pedestrian bridge, a rural bridge near a fishing area, or a historic covered bridge. All of these are places where pedestrians might normally be found, and where a searching geocacher would be unlikely to cause alarm. But this bridge does not appear to be at an acceptable location. In today's heightened security environment, there have been too many reports to the police about caches of this type, and that is the reason for this listing requirement.

I am archiving this listing. Please remove your cache and feel free to submit it at another location.

Thanks for your understanding,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer