Scout geocache evening

SkiBums (UK)

Our Scout Group are finally venturing into Geocaching and have decided to hold a couple of caching evenings in October.

Unfortunately, or fortunately for us we are a large troop and have 40 boys and girls regularily attend, and only a couple of GPS's.

Is there anyone close to us in Wickford Essex that would be prepared to come along with your GPS to help out?????

Too far away to help, however, I have tried caching with a small group of my Scouts (Navigator badge part D). So far a couple of them (those who had a GPS at home) have started to cache on their own.

I am running an Expedition this weekend where I will be introducing caching to 4 more Scouts. I have also bought a cheap second hand GPS for the Troop so it could be loaned out if someone wants to try it with their parents before buying their own GPS.

Good luck with your event. I am sure that most of them will enjoy something different.

Too far away to help as well (and my GPS is my phone!) but good luck!

We've done Geocaching with our Rangers and we all loved it - it's actually how I got started. We're all the outdoors sort so we're planning on writing more into our programme this term.

Maybe next time we go on camp somewhere with the Guides and if we can get hold of/discover parents who have GPS units we can try it with them sometime. I think most of them would be really into it given the chance.

Hi All

given the comments here about shortage of GPS units, here's a thought. Try approaching your District Exec/DC/ADC Activities about buying a pool of GPS units for the District, which could be borrowed as required.

OK, I was a Caching DC, so that made it a bit easier, but I got my Exec to approve the purchase of some Yellow Etrex that were on Special offer.

My trouble was finding the groups that wanted to borrow them!! :laughing:

If anyone finds problems with the factsheet, please let me know.

We announced it being published here at post #107.

Best of luck with the Scouts B)

Thanks for all your replies, hopefully I have got back to people have offered help.

I will let you know how we get on.

As we will be caching in the dark, I don't think I will actually hide caches in the true sense of the word (there will be no chance of them finding them). Thinking of placing four or five tags around a local park that will give the final coords to a proper cache that they will then have to find.

My explorers has been introduced to Geocaching in the last 2 years though my random trips over to landmarks etc whilst we are on expeditions.

I did run a geocaching item in our programme over the summer and I had 6 fairly enthusiastic explorers (being teenagers a glimmer of enthusiasm was all I hoped for). It worked out quite well because some wanted to operate the GPS whilst others wanted to find the clues. Two wanted to gossip until the search started!

Certainly more GPS units would be needed if I had more with me and to be honest that could have been a logistical nightmare with just two leaders, and only one being a geocacher.

We used the same area for navigation so if we were to have more explorers turn up then we would run both activities simultaneously with 2 or more leaders extra.

Mark

Just a thought, seeing as how some have tried and failed. How about some one collecting all the info on what was and what wasnt successful and trying to put together a lesson plan for others to follow.

As a Troop we have placed 4 caches now in various parts of Northumberland/Newcastle and this term we are starting TB/Coin race with all 3 sections(Beavers, Cubs &Scouts). The scout troop will be selecting the sites for the starting caches and logging the co-ordinates. Doing the cache info and filling the boxes with stuff. If I ever get my hands on another GPS then I will start using caching as part of the navigation skills, at the moment only having one machine makes it too difficult.

Our Scout Group are finally venturing into Geocaching and have decided to hold a couple of caching evenings in October.

Unfortunately, or fortunately for us we are a large troop and have 40 boys and girls regularily attend, and only a couple of GPS's.

Is there anyone close to us in Wickford Essex that would be prepared to come along with your GPS to help out?????

Hi,

I might be able to help out, as I live in Billericay. Email me if you need a hand.