Release notes 09/03/08

OpinioNate

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: Sept 3, 2008 Release

5116: Latvian cache note

• Added Latvian cache note to /seek page

4870: One of the Irish "states" is misspelled.

• Fixed misspelling of Irish region "Connacht"

4503: Remove checkbox from search results when user not logged in

• Removed superfluous checkbox from search page when user is not logged in

5112: replace text: "Geocoin or Travel Bug"

• Changed text on /track search page to refer to "trackable items" rather than geocoin or travel bug

4900: links in encrypted log entries

• When a link is included in an encrypted log entry the link text is no longer encrypted

4915: Edit Trackable Language Update

• Removed references to "travel bug" and replaced with "trackable item"

4654: Error message when creating from Bookmarks and too many PQ's listed

• Clarified the error received when attempting to create 41st pocket query from a bookmark list

4946: Apostrophes in User Name causing errors

• Fixed issue with apostrophes in username causing URL issues

Please reply in this thread if you notice any issues surrounding these updates. Thanks!

Edited by OpinioNate

I don't see how it could possibly be related to the updates, but for the first time in about a year I am suddenly getting this error message (for about the past hour or so now) and am unable to access gc.com at all (except for the forums). Using IE7 and Vista, by the way, if that is relevant.

Edited to add: I can actually access some of the pages, like people's profiles that I have on my Favorites list or the new caches in PA page, but I can't get onto the homepage or connect to profiles from the forums for some reason.

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Edited by whistler & co.

Release Notes - Geocaching.com: Sept 3, 2008 Release

5116: Latvian cache note

• Added Latvian cache note to /seek page

4870: One of the Irish "states" is misspelled.

• Fixed misspelling of Irish region "Connacht"

4503: Remove checkbox from search results when user not logged in

• Removed superfluous checkbox from search page when user is not logged in

5112: replace text: "Geocoin or Travel Bug"

• Changed text on /track search page to refer to "trackable items" rather than geocoin or travel bug

4900: links in encrypted log entries

• When a link is included in an encrypted log entry the link text is no longer encrypted

4915: Edit Trackable Language Update

• Removed references to "travel bug" and replaced with "trackable item"

• Clarified the error received when attempting to create 41st pocket query from a bookmark list

4946: Apostrophes in User Name causing errors

• Fixed issue with apostrophes in username causing URL issues

Please reply in this thread if you notice any issues surrounding these updates. Thanks!

I am getting a ASPX runtime error when I open geocaching.com

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

I am getting the same thing. Not able to access the home page.

Due to some complications with this code release we have had to roll back to a previous build. Once these issues have been addressed the site will need to come down again briefly.

Please try to save any important changes you make to cache details or profile pages so you don't lose anything when the site goes down again. I'll keep you posted.

Edit: It's getting to be too late in the day to release, so we're going to do this tomorrow morning. I'll update the thread at that time. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Edited by OpinioNate

Hi,

It's now been over a month since geocoin/travelbug notifications for owners has been broken. August 7th, you asked us for more information and many of us have provided it. Since then, we have not heard a single thing concerning the bug. There have been a couple of updates to the site since then, yet this still is a big annoying problem to a lot of your paying users.

Could you please provide us with an update as to where we stand on this bug?

Thanks OpinioNate.

Maybe I missed something, but I received notices in the last couple of days on movements of my GeoCoins. What's broken? I just checked my coins and all movements are accounted for by received e-mails

If you take a look at these two threads:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=199376

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=200411

You'll see that there are quite a few of us who are not receiving "dropped" notifications for our coins. The only thing we receive are the "retrieved" notifications.

Print pdf feature doesn't seem to work. No logs in the pdf even if this opion is selected, and no short nor long cache description. Basically just name, coords, hiding date, hint and a lot of blank space.

This used to work a few days ago.

Tested with IE7 on XP.

Print pdf feature doesn't seem to work. No logs in the pdf even if this opion is selected, and no short nor long cache description. Basically just name, coords, hiding date, hint and a lot of blank space.

This used to work a few days ago.

Tested with IE7 on XP.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing this in IE7 with XP. Can you link to a cache that displays this behavior?

Sorry, I'm just not seeing this in IE7 with XP. Can you link to a cache that displays this behavior?

Tested again now with Firefox 3... This was supposed to contain 5 logs. Below is a copy paste

of all the text parts in that file. (accurate coordinates hidden by me)

Edit: Same thing with GC12, so it doesn't seem to be the scandinavic letters causing this problem.

Is this really happening just to me?

Railway Station of Salo

Created By: Kissa, adopted by Varvikello GCK46D

N 60° 23.xxx E 023° 07.xxx

Difficulty Terrain Date Hidden

7/29/2004

Cache Size

Attribute Types

TB and Coin List

Cache Details

Additional Hints

[in english:] arne gur pbeare bs gur ohvyqvat [suomeksi:]

yäuryyä enxraahxfra xhyznn xvivwnynffn

Decryption Key

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

Log Notes

Edited by Geostapo

Don't worry. I posted the release notes *before* the actual code release, so you're just seeing the transition. Please be patient and the site will be back up shortly.

Good, but does that also possibly mean that you did not list all the things that are going to get fixed?

I'm referuing to many things in the prior release, many of which I mention within the first 50 replies to that, that have not yet been fixed. Are they being overlooked because it's me reporting them?

1. 2 week travel bug reminder asterix

2. not being able to go to the forums from geocaching.com unless you are logged in there or unless you know that the direct link is forums.Groundspeak.com

3. no asterix for GPS Maze Exhibits and Wherigo cache types, this when the one for Mega-Events was specifically fixed in that release.

....the new site is very "shiny".. and I *know* that http://wap.geocaching.com has been updated for WAP browsers... but now the new code on http://www.geocaching.com won't even load on my WAP browser due to the shiny new features. I love the rich functionality of the "complete" site and it worked like a charm on my cellular WAP browser (heck, I've even listed caches with my Sony Ericsson 810i!) .. and indications if this is something I can work around, potentially with another URL? Thanks for the enhancements. Not complainin' just askin'

every time i try ang log on geocaching .com an runtime error page comes up?whats going on?

Hi there... i am a reporter in edmonton, alberta looking to follow some cachers on one of their journeys... not sure if anyone has ever done a story on this.. I think its pretty rad and believe the story would capture the imagination of a lot of people... if anyone in edmonton is interested in taking me with them please drop me a line...

thanks,

rob

here is an alternate email address: rmcanally@ctv.ca

Last night and this morning, I successfully logged MY4964 (the session remained open on my desktop overnight), but just now, as I tried to log MY0235, I got the same error screen everyone else is reporting. I tried again, with a new Firefox (newest version) window and a new login to GC.com before punching in the PID (which works) and attempting to log it (which does not).

Still getting the error of "your request received an error" after clicking on "log this benchmark"

database index error?

parameter truncation between the "log this benchmark" and whatever fetches the next screen?

Looking at the page source of the error screen it shows this possible error code:

ctl00_SiteContent_lblSubmitErrorInfo

test were tested with IE6 and Firefox 3

marks for which others have posted a recovery log and "log this benchmark" behaves correctly and goes to the "post a new log" page:

DU2194

DU2223

ES1001

DU2224

marks which both I and others have recovered for which "log this benchmark" gets the "your request received an error."

DU2221

marks which only I've posted a recovery report and which behave correctly on "log this benchmark"

ES0997

ES0998

marks which nobody has logged a recovery report and which receive the "your request received and error" message after clicking on "log this benchmark"

ES0999

ES0994 - still get the error with IE 7

DU2196 - still get the error with IE 7 (didn't try any of the others)

DU2195

ES1164

Marks which nobody has logged and which behave correctly - getting to the "post a new log" page.

ES1180

ES0980

ES0992

ES0993

Edited by sjkimmel99

I have a feature request...not sure if this is the place to put it but I know your watching this thread so heck this is as good a place as any.

The "Map it" Feature that shows up on the top of the page...sometimes....

I would like to see that feature on the state pages like so...

List of all events and caches in RI

The reason I would like this is for selfish reasons... I like to visit alot of events....instead of clicking on each event to see where it will be held...I can save myself some clicks and simply click on the "Map it" link and it will show me where the up coming events are.

Thanks for the consideration and keep up the great work!

Mapping every cache in the state would be a tax on system resources (Rhode Island, with less than 1,000 caches, being an exception.) Think of how your suggestion would work in California or Texas.

Workaround: Set up a pocket query that returns all event caches and CITO event caches and Mega-Event caches within X miles of your home coordinates. Preview the map at will, without even running the pocket query.

Okay, I have been having problems trying to log BM's in the Auburn, WA area for the last 4-5 days. I thought it was my computer and have now tried to log the BM's on 2 different computers with no luck. I have noticed that if I log onto BM's that no one has found and click on "log your find for this BM" then I get the page to write my log. However, if I click on a BM that someone else has found and click on the same button that I get an error page. The error page says to type in what you were doing when the error happened and I assumed that a message was sent to geocaching.com. I have not recieved any communication back to make me believe that the report was ever recieved. Will try to be patient in waiting for word of a fix.

Thanks.

HDmama2002

[*]Clarified the error received when attempting to create 41st pocket query from a bookmark list

Are we ever actually going to be able to create a full 40 queries? Right now I can only have a maximum of 39 queries, since the all finds PQ counts as one.

The "Map it" Feature that shows up on the top of the page...sometimes....

I would like to see that feature on the state pages like so...

List of all events and caches in RI

This could easily be accomplished without a map by showing a distance and direction on all searches, not just those that the people at Groundspeak call 'location based searches'. I've asked for this for 3+ years now, at least 5 times.

Sure you might still have to click on each event, but the human mind can easily dismiss some events in say, New York state, as being of no possible interest at 400+ miles away instead of some at 100 miles away.

But this post is about the STILL incorrect formatting of search pages on geocaching.com. I know it's been reported at least 500 tiimes since the July 'Release' but here is a photo of mine just taken and it's possibly the first time it's happened to me.

fe8bd94a-8b20-4790-b232-c5ae611f8a87.jpg

No left hand navigation capability. No chance of seeing distances and directions (if they exist) on a particular search page...

Is "Latvian cache note..." more important than things that have been broken for 2 months now?

Trainlove, since all you included there was a screen cap without any "info" could you help me by telling me what version of IE you're running there and if you're using any type of font size increase and what you're screen res of the monitor is.

Thanks

-Raine

Trainlove, since all you included there was a screen cap without any "info" could you help me by telling me what version of IE you're running there and if you're using any type of font size increase and what you're screen res of the monitor is.

Thanks

-Raine

Sorry.

I was at a public library that did not permit me to check the screen properties. But it was Windows XP and it was Internet Explorer perhaps version 6. I'll attempt to get that information next time I'm there. I did try to shrink and expamd the 'Text size' through all possible settings on the mouse wheel to no avail.

But I'd suggest you try to simulate all possible public domain settings that one might be forced to have to use when on someone elses computer, not everyone can have 16,384*24,576 pixel resolution LOL, and some might still be in the dark ages of 600*800.

Has there been any progress with the problem of the advertisement window on the top left of the page, that is preventing use of the nearby links?

John

Sounds like something your ISP, or some hidden ad-ware is inserting.

Hidden adware from Google or GC.com!

How many screen shots do I need to post to show the difference between Firefox browser and IE7 before you understand that things worked just fine until the "Update" in July?

John

Has there been any progress with the problem of the advertisement window on the top left of the page, that is preventing use of the nearby links?

John

Sounds like something your ISP, or some hidden ad-ware is inserting.

How many screen shots do I need to post to show the difference between Firefox browser and IE7 before you understand that things worked just fine until the "Update" in July?

Based on your screenshots and information you posted in the 7/23/08 thread, the "problem" is a result of your use of a very large minimum font size (20) together with the change in July by Groundspeak making the word "Advertisement" text (it had been an image previously). Now this word is forced to display in Font Size 20 in your browser, and it thus spreads out over other things on the page.

Groundspeak should be able to correct this, but if they don't get around to it, all you need to do is lower the minimum font size in your browser until it does not overlap.