Helpme write a new go to for NGS

TheBeanTeam

I found a mark where the go to has completely changed.

A portion of the road into the mark is now a hiking trail called the Siltcoos Trail. Then the trail leaves the old road and veers down a draw toward the lake. The road is so overgrown at this point it is not discernible and the best way is to hike into the area on the trail then bushwack up to the ridge line and the mark when you about 350 feet from the location.

I didn't take any readings when I hiked in so I don't know the exact distances.

Old go to:

TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE SOUTH END OF THE BRIDGE OVER THE

OA1091'SIUSLAW RIVER AT FLORENCE GO SOUTH ON U.S. HIGHWAY 101 FOR 6.9

OA1091'MILES TO MILE POST 198, CONTINUE SOUTH ON U.S. HIGHWAY 101 FOR 0.1

OA1091'MILE TO A SIDE ROAD LEFT, THIS IS 0.45 MILE NORTH OF THE

OA1091'LANE-DOUGLAS COUNTY LINE, TURN LEFT AND GO EAST ON BLADED DIRT

OA1091'ROAD FOR 0.75 MILE TO THE STATION ON THE LEFT AT A TURN-AROUND

OA1091'AT THE END OF THE ROAD.

New proposed go to:

TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE SOUTH END OF THE BRIDGE OVER THE

SIUSLAW RIVER AT FLORENCE GO SOUTH ON U.S. HIGHWAY 101 FOR 6.9

MILES TO MILE POST 198, CONTINUE SOUTH ON U.S. HIGHWAY 101 FOR 0.1

MILE TO SILTCOOS TRAIL PARKING AREA ON LEFT, THIS IS 0.45 MILE NORTH OF THE

LANE-DOUGLAS COUNTY LINE,

here is where I have problems. How do I describe the rest of the pack in overgrown trail and all that?

PACK IN APPROXIMATELY .7O MILES TO MARK

Or something better?

I think you don't need to be extremely formal.

PACK IN APPROXIMATELY 0.70 MILES ON AN OVERGROWN TRAIL TO THE MARK.

Here is the last part of one I sent in:

HW3293'PARK AND FOLLOW THE ORANGE-BLAZED TRAIL UP THE RIDGE, TURN RIGHT ONTO

HW3293'THE BLUE-BLAZED TRAIL AND AT THE TOP OF THE RIDGE, TURN LEFT ALONG THE

HW3293'RIDGE-TOP TO THE STATION.

You could add how much elevation to climb, the time to walk, how close the mark is to the trail, and which side of the trail it is on, etc., or none of the above, your choice. I guess the main idea is to give sufficient information to walk right to the mark without worrying about how much computer memory space is used to describe it. ;) I probably should've written more for HW3293, a nice old chiseled triangle mark.

In this case it sounds like it is not really the route that has changed, but rather the condition of the road. I would probably not rewrite the TO REACH but rather note that the referenced graded road is no longer passable by vehicle and that it will be necessary to pack in approximately .7 miles from the newly established trailhead located at N x W y.

I think you don't need to be extremely formal.

PACK IN APPROXIMATELY 0.70 MILES ON AN OVERGROWN TRAIL TO THE MARK.

I guess the main idea is to give sufficient information to walk right to the mark without worrying about how much computer memory space is used to describe it. ;) I probably should've written more for HW3293, a nice old chiseled triangle mark.

I agree that I don't need to be overly formal.

Here is my dilemma.

The old road is only overgrown for the second half and is easily missed. It is like a wall of brush to continue up what was once a road.

The easiest way to it would be to follow the Siltcoos Trail approximately .7 miles then bush wack up to the ridge line to the right of the trail. My problem is I am to dense to put it in the appropriate words.

Using southpawaz wording and building on it.

graded road is no longer passable by vehicle it will be necessary to pack in approximately .7 miles from the newly established Siltcoos Lake Trailhead then climb cross country to ridge line on the right side of the trail to the mark.

I like your revised text. I would just suggest a couple of copy edits:

* Delete "this is" from the sentence about the parking lot.

* End the sentence after "by vehicle," then make a new sentence starting with "It will be necessary." Put a comma after "Siltcoos Lake Trailhead." (Is "Trailhead" really part of its name, not just a descriptor? If it's a descriptor, it should be lowercase. Although I guess that won't matter when it's displayed all uppercase on the NGS datasheet...)

Patty

Great reference, NGS Surveyor. Our forum moderator should post a link to this in the sticky topics at the top. I've been at this for years (will be 7 years in December!) and have figured out the format roughly from examples, like many others here. But it's nice to see it in writing, and learn more of the details also. Thanks!

Fascinating reading, George!

I was paying particular attention to the photographic requirements, and find myself very glad that I don't have to follow all of these for my images on GC.com. :D All those "within-image" "tags" would drive me nuts (but would indeed clarify the 3% of my shots that give rise to considerable head-scratching back at home when I try to figure out "what was that one?" Getting images like this streaming in from all over the country would be truly mind-bending! [i'm now trying to get used to using the audio tagging capability of my camera so that I can make voice "notes" of what is going on while I'm out there.]

I was interested to see that most of my logs are non-compliant ;) . Specifically, I rarely take a shot oriented like your "Eye-Level" required pic. I usually use a shot like this only if there's something remarkable about the setting of the mark that I couldn't illustrate in one of what I call my "Area" shots (your "Horizontal Views"), usually taken from 15 to 30 ft. away. I now also frequently place a brightly colored marker on the station disk or its RM(s), so that I can find them later in my image/s. And I'm getting into the habit of using SnagIt to do "screen grabs" of many of my Area shots in which I put a bright-colored square around the station mark and a circle around an RM, and add descriptive text in an opaque "text box" in an unimportant corner of the image. I would think that s/w like SnagIt would be so helpful to your contractors that it could itself merit becoming an NGS "standard."

As far as the Descriptions are concerned, I was interested to see that the specs still don't seem to require specifying the city or town in which the station is actually located. This drives me nuts oftentimes when I need to enter a city name into my GPS to program the address of a mark. It was a great day when I found that my car's GPS would accept lat/long "Go Tos", but I still need the city/town ID from time to time (e.g., to know which town's Water Dept. to call to gain access to their reservoir).

Any chance that NGS will ever let us post our recovery images along with our GEOCAC reports? I would think this would do more than about anything else you could do to make finding old stations and RMs easier for future users.

Well I am back with another one that I want to run my updated "to reach" description past other more experienced benchmarkers.

I recovered one that I was sure was destroyed due to the massive changes in the area. A bridge was removed and a new one replaced it in 1991.

Here is my log.

When I first saw this BM I was certain it should be listed as destroyed. It seemed that the structures had likely been moved to create the overlook and monument. I don't think so after reviewing photos of the original structure before its removal at the Library of Congress and elsewhere. (visit link)

The Library of Congress documentation confirms that the pylons on the north abutment were left in their original location. See paragraph 3 Alsea Bay Bridge Interpretative Center (visit link) Given this record I think the mark is in its original location on the north abutment.

(visit link)

Here is my proposed updated recovery report.

THE ORIGINAL ALSEA BAY BRIDGE WAS REMOVED IN 1991. THE NORTH ABUTMENT WAS LEFT IN ITS ORIGINAL POSITION AND IS NOW PART OF THE ALSEA NORTH WAYSIDE. A NEW TO REACH FOLLOWS:

0.65 MI N FROM WALDPORT. ALONG U. S. HIGHWAY 101, APPROXIMATELY 1 MILE NORTH OF WALDPORT, LEFT AT INTERSECTION OF U.S. HIGHWAY 101 AND MINOR PARK ROAD. PROCEED SOUTH TO OVERLOOK AND PARKING. MARK IS SET IN THE BASE OF IN SOUTHEASTERN MOST PYLON IN THE OVERLOOK.

Should I also add?

WHILE THE POSITION IS REPORTED TO HAVE NOT BEEN DISTURBED SOME CARE MAY BE BE WARRANTED AS IT MAY HAVE BEEN DISTURBED DURING THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW BRIDGE

The reason I ask this last question is that the original to reach indicates that the mark is in the "IN THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF ALSEA BAY BRIDGE, IN A SMALL SHELF AT THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE EAST PYLON, 2.5 FEET ABOVE THE WALK." Today the mark is in a small shelf at the Northwest corner of the east pylon. Was the pylon moved after all? or was the original report incorrect.

I found this little mystery while posting this forum request so will have to update my original GC log as well it appears.

Thanks to all.

-----NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE EAST PYLON, 2.5 FEET ABOVE THE WALK." Today the mark is in a small shelf at the Northwest corner of the east pylon. Was the pylon moved after all? or was the original report incorrect.

I found this little mystery while posting this forum request so will have to update my original GC log as well it appears.

Thanks to all.

TheBeanTeam,

I was concerned that the disk was not recessed,

fdf2e79d-958a-4612-9f13-1fab03fc5774.jpg

QE1316

but A 2 appears the same.

0d0a764d-d52e-428e-9e3a-bd42ab82e743.jpg

QE1309

Just another clerical error. kayakbird