Temper Tantrum Throwing Bar Raising Nuisance Cachers

So a local cacher sets out to raise the bar. They rant, they rave, they throw tantrums, hold events, have classes, write smarmy logs, shotgun the forums, arrange for accidents to happen to bad caches, point fingers, call cachers average, create a list of rules for raising the bar, email cachers helpful hints, or any of a hundred other things they can do that makes them a nuisance on the issue.

As a rule when you find the caches they actually placed, was the bar raised? Did you enjoy them at a level "above average"?

Looking back I really can't say any bar raising nuisances did a better job than any of the other average folks they didn't like. One who comes to mind I can't specificlly recall any of his caches. Just the irony of him placing exactly the kind he hated. Others, well I didn't even get the satisfaction of irony. Just bland. What's your experience?

Edited by Renegade Knight

I have seen caches placed in tribute of another cacher in the style of that cacher and such caches are enjoyed by all.

But that's not what you're referring to, is it?

- Elle

Not in this thread. That a style that's enjoyed by all is recognizable and copyable and enjoyed says that the orginal cacher had something good going...worth mentioning in the counterpart to this thread.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Of course we should continually strive to raise the bar - whatever that means.

If this means I can find caches that I find enjoyable or interesting while having a walk in the country then I am allfor it. I accept that city caches are more difficult due to poor gps reception so we reuire to develop different aproaches to raise the bar. If someone discovers a etter way to place and maintaintain caches then let us share it.

This does not make me raise my temper or have a tantrum..

They rant, they rave, they throw tantrums, hold events, have classes, write smarmy logs, shotgun the forums, arrange for accidents to happen to bad caches, point fingers, call cachers average, ..... or any of a hundred other things they can do that makes them a nuisance on the issue.

When did you move to Mississippi?

I think we're very lucky here in eastern Washington to not have the problem you describe. There is an enormous number of cachers here and a continuous stream of travellers. Just for kicks, I receive notifications of all finds and hides in a 50-mile radius of my home location and, although I actually read very few of them, they are usually very up-beat even when logging DNFs. The local group is always working on ways to "raise the bar"... almost every other new hide is described as "a tricky new kind of cache." Yet, the same folks will rush out quite literally in the middle of the night to get a FTF on the latest magnetic keyholder on a guard rail, and post a pleasant log about it!

I read some of the rants in these forums and just scratch my head and wonder...

Since this is more of an individual sport, then it would be our own individual bar that needs to be raised. Each new cacher must learn that the lamp post skirt actually lifts and could hide a film can or key holder. As long as they stay in the sport, they grow. Perhaps more difficult hides, perhaps getting more involved in the community, perhaps getting the community more involved, perhaps just more numbers.

As the sport matures, the bar gets more difficult to raise. Using the 4 minute mile as an example, it took until 1954 before anyone was recorded to run the mile in under 4 minutes. 3:45 was broken in 1999. It's a matter of time until someone breaks 3:30. Each record milestone gets harder to break, but possible.

Can the bar be raised? Yes. But it will take a lot of work.

I've never met someone like you describe. I have, however, met a few cachers who pride themselves on going the extra mile to provide a quality caching experience. These folks will tell you they just don't comprehend the whole P&G phenomenon. They have been known, (on occasion), to poke fairly generic fun at particular cache types, without openly insulting any specific cache or cacher.

It's been my experience that their caches are way above par.

Does this mean my cache with the 62-mile/6-day hike to the film cannister ain't gonna be very well appreciated? Hey, I thought it raised the bar - I couldn't find a single dang piece of metal to stick the nano to up in that mountain lake!

:laughing:

~*

I would find that frickin hilarious.

a 6 day hike up to a forest near the top of a mountain,

and there's a lampost in the middle of nowhere with a film canister under the skirt.

B)

Sometimes I wonder if some cachers look at placing a cache the same as finding. In that I mean, seeing how many caches you can place, the same as being a number hound on finds.

In that respect, raising the bar isn't hard at all, and it does matter.

How hard is it to actually walk around the location you intend to place the cache to find a good hiding spot?

How hard is it to make a good container to hide your log in?

Sure, I believe we are all due a nano or a bison tube. But take time, be creative.

I can think of several people who I found quite annoying in their complaints and other actions concerning cache quality and/or what caches should be like. A couple of them had very nice caches in my opinion, perhaps better than most others in the area. A couple of others had caches that were nothing special at all. Not bad or anything, but certainly not to the standard that they seemed to want from others. Well actually, one comes to mind who perhaps had almost bad caches, yet that person threw some amazing tantrums. Anyway, I guess I would say it was an equal split.

In the end though I just find the caches I think I might like or desire to find and generally ignore the annoying people. Or if I can't avoid them, then I at least ignore their annoying behavior. Life is happier that way. :laughing:

I've never met someone like you describe. I have, however, met a few cachers who pride themselves on going the extra mile to provide a quality caching experience. These folks will tell you they just don't comprehend the whole P&G phenomenon. They have been known, (on occasion), to poke fairly generic fun at particular cache types, without openly insulting any specific cache or cacher.

Same here. Never met or even heard of anyone like you describe. And I'm talking my entire region, not just locally, I belong to well over a dozen geocaching organizations in NY, Pa. and Ontario. Hold seminars and events? Must be something in the water out your way. B)

You sure that lamppost isn't photoshopped in? :laughing:

So a local cacher sets out to raise the bar. They rant, they rave, they throw tantrums, hold events, have classes, write smarmy logs, shotgun the forums, arrange for accidents to happen to bad caches, point fingers, call cachers average, create a list of rules for raising the bar, email cachers helpful hints, or any of a hundred other things they can do that makes them a nuisance on the issue.

As a rule when you find the caches they actually placed, was the bar raised? Did you enjoy them at a level "above average"?

No, and no.

Sometimes I wonder if some cachers look at placing a cache the same as finding. In that I mean, seeing how many caches you can place, the same as being a number hound on finds.

I actually had a yahoo in the forums tell me once that since he'd hidden 10 times as many caches as I had then he was a better cacher, and had given back much more to geocaching than I had. :laughing:

I've been riding around for 6 months with an ammo can in my car. It's one that I've made some special modifications to and it needs just the right spot for it to be effective, so I'm waiting to place it rather than rush out and dump it in the first place that doesn't already have one.

On the other hand, I'll find any cache I come across. B)

I actually had a yahoo in the forums tell me once that since he'd hidden 10 times as many caches as I had then he was a better cacher, and had given back much more to geocaching than I had. :laughing:
Back in the olden days of geocaching this was a pretty common position.
Back in the olden days of geocaching this was a pretty common position.

True, but this happened to me just a few months ago.

When I found that one, the log was full and soaking wet. I had forgotten to bring an extra log book, so I had to scratch my name in the dirt beside the post with a stick. The CO deleted my log entry because my name was not in the log.

Looks like the water level in the lake sometimes rises higher. Must have been why the log book was soaked. :laughing:

...It made me think of Narnia. :laughing:

- Elle

Funny thing. Yet another LPC. Yawn. That same LPC accessed via a wardrobe would be way too cool. Go figure. The kind of person I was thinking about when starting this thread would not "get it" when it comes to the difference between the two.

For what it's worth, Old style LPC's can have "toes" that come up instead of a skirt.

lake.jpg

When I found that one, the log was full and soaking wet. I had forgotten to bring an extra log book, so I had to scratch my name in the dirt beside the post with a stick. The CO deleted my log entry because my name was not in the log.

============

Guyz....I sweartagawd that lamp post was NOT there when I hid that cannister!

That's why I hid it where I did. In the bottom of the lake.

And sorry 'bout the wet log sheet. Don't tell me my film can leaked! That would never happen would it?

Geez. Maybe too much water pressure at 47' depth, ya reckon? Or maybe the holes I had to drill so it'd stay on the bottom. But I put it (log) in a zip-lok! I don't know what happened....but sorry to disappoint. I'll replace the zip-lok next trip out, k?

:lol:

Now, all seriousness aside....

Y'know, I'm about to decide that if I ever started holding seminars on Geocaching, this is what I'd say.

"In conclusion, after my considerable experience in playing this game, I've come to an inescapable conclusion.

It's a stupid, STUPID, STUPID game. And YOU're stupid for wanting to play it.

Now, go out & play the stupid game, & just shut. The. Hell. Up!"

& 'at oughta 'bout cover it.

Peace, out. See ya at th' next lamp post.

~*

Looking back I really can't say any bar raising nuisances did a better job than any of the other average folks they didn't like. One who comes to mind I can't specificlly recall any of his caches. Just the irony of him placing exactly the kind he hated. Others, well I didn't even get the satisfaction of irony. Just bland. What's your experience?

The people in my area are great. No complaints from me.

realistically, the forums are largely ignored by the caching community at large so grutzing in here is probably a waste of time.

As for negative logs, they don't raise the bar. They just discourage cachers from placing any more caches. Sometimes the cynic in me says that was the whole reason that people were negative in the first place.

If someone truly wants to raise the bar they have to encourage everyone. Any criticism should be constructive, not abusive. However, from my experience there are many people who just want to bash the heck out of people whose caches don't entertain them.

There are a whole lot of people who want to declare "open season" on anyone whose cache doesn't measure up to their own personal expectation. That's just wrong, IMHO.

Does this mean my cache with the 62-mile/6-day hike to the film cannister ain't gonna be very well appreciated? Hey, I thought it raised the bar - I couldn't find a single dang piece of metal to stick the nano to up in that mountain lake!

:unsure:

~*

last week in luxemburg we must have done over 400 steps (as in stairs) placed along and carved in a vertical rock for one VIRTUAL cache

BUT WHAT A VIEW, who needs a box with that kind of experience.

dscn1651wp1.th.jpg

last week in luxemburg we must have done over 400 steps (as in stairs) placed along and carved in a vertical rock for one VIRTUAL cache

BUT WHAT A VIEW, who needs a box with that kind of experience.

That is a gorgeous view! I'm wondering though, if there had been an ammo can filled with high end swag at the end, would that have detracted from your experience or would it have improved it, in your eyes?