logging with a sticker?

wapahani

Clearly they found the cache, right? They didn't beam the sticker into it from space.
I'm not saying they "didn't find it". Never said that. I just found this as odd. Most people sign the log.

I also will mention that another cache I watch over, I wasn't able to find said sticker. Its a 1 of 1 cache that everyone finds (its so easy) no sticker.

So I checked another, and the sticker was on the ground.

I'm thinking of emailing them and saying they need to sign the log. I'm just not sure the point of the sticker since its not always staying in the cache!

From reading your posts, I believe that you fully believe that they found the caches. If this is true, why would you ever consider taking the position that they should return to the caches to sign the books? In general, I believe that it's best to only draw a line in those circumstances that require it. I don't see this as a situation that requires upping the angst level.

I agree...Why does anyone give a hoot if someone signs a Cache with a pen/pencil/sticker or just by leaving a sigitem. What's the big deal? Would you refuse to accept your paycheck because the signature of the treasurer was PRINTED rather than SIGNED. I will just never understand what the big deal is.

We have just ordered a self inking stamp in order to do the local letterbox hybrids and plan to use it to sign our geocaching logs as well. As we usually write quite long logs for anything other than a micro it will be a part of our log but not the extent of it. Just our 2 Canadian cents! :D

I just checked that in the currency converter, and it's worth the same as 2 American cents ;)

I would be extremely unhappy if someone used a sharpie on the outside of my hand crafted camouflaged caches.

What about a cacher who sticks brightly colored "signature" labels to the outside of the cache container?

Maybe he was probably glad the cache was actually there, and that the owner hadn't ran out and moved it :):D

And maybe the cache owner said leave one of those brightly colored stickers for me :);)

And maybe in the whole scheme of life, it just doesn't make a hill of beans what anyone else thinks, because some people will always, no matter what, think the worse, if in fact they think at all :D:D

Clearly they found the cache, right? They didn't beam the sticker into it from space.
I'm not saying they "didn't find it". Never said that. I just found this as odd. Most people sign the log.

I also will mention that another cache I watch over, I wasn't able to find said sticker. Its a 1 of 1 cache that everyone finds (its so easy) no sticker.

So I checked another, and the sticker was on the ground.

I'm thinking of emailing them and saying they need to sign the log. I'm just not sure the point of the sticker since its not always staying in the cache!

From reading your posts, I believe that you fully believe that they found the caches. If this is true, why would you ever consider taking the position that they should return to the caches to sign the books? In general, I believe that it's best to only draw a line in those circumstances that require it. I don't see this as a situation that requires upping the angst level.

I agree...Why does anyone give a hoot if someone signs a Cache with a pen/pencil/sticker or just by leaving a sigitem. What's the big deal? Would you refuse to accept your paycheck because the signature of the treasurer was PRINTED rather than SIGNED. I will just never understand what the big deal is.

I'm guessing you just didn't get it? If you received a check with a smiley face sticker as the sig, would you think its valid?

Was that the original point of the post? I'm guessing you didn't bother to follow the entire post and just bailed in on it? Certainly appears that way.

Go back and reread.

Here's the problem that I have with this theory (and the OP's post):

When you print out labels, they are not individuals like band-aids. They print in sheets. To use one, you peel the label off the sheet and stick it wherever you want it. When all the labels are gone, you are not left with a pile of individual 'backings', you are left with a big slick piece of paper.

Isn't it much more likely that the cacher was simply using cheapo labels that didn't stick so well and fell off?

And what was the "THEORY". I never questioned the find, but for whatever reason you jumped in and acted as I did in your first response.

I just asked if anyone had seen this before.

Your theory was from your own response, and actually it was then directed toward the second poster and not me. You really need to read before you respond.

Here's the problem that I have with this theory (and the OP's post):

When you print out labels, they are not individuals like band-aids. They print in sheets. To use one, you peel the label off the sheet and stick it wherever you want it. When all the labels are gone, you are not left with a pile of individual 'backings', you are left with a big slick piece of paper.

Isn't it much more likely that the cacher was simply using cheapo labels that didn't stick so well and fell off?

And what was the "THEORY". I never questioned the find, but for whatever reason you jumped in and acted as I did in your first response.

I just asked if anyone had seen this before.

Your theory was from your own response, and actually it was then directed toward the second poster and not me. You really need to read before you respond.

I read the posts and reread my response. My position seems to be quite clear. Perhaps if you read my post in context, it would make more sense to you.

Sbell, your original response has nothing to do with what I asked. You didn't answer my question, therefore your response didn't answer anything for me.

You responded to the second poster. Then ranted in another post about ME as I was the OP. You have seemed to miss the question.

I asked if others had seen this.

I DID NOT ASK IF I SHOULD DELETE THEM.... That was the context of the other poster, not ME. You obviously didn't reread that part.

Edited by wapahani

Sbell, your original response has nothing to do with what I asked. You didn't answer my question, therefore your response didn't answer anything for me.

You responded to the second poster. Then ranted in another post about ME as I was the OP. You have seemed to miss the question.

I DID NOT ASK IF I SHOULD DELETE THEM.... That was the context of the other poster, not ME. You obviously didn't reread that part.

whatever

whatever

I get it now. Whatever is the answer. Nice

Like I said.

Back to the point of this thread.....

Seems that its a pretty common thing or was at one point to place stickers on the logs.

Thanks to those that actually answered the question.!

-//- I sometimes wonder if they didn't each grab a sheet of stickers and head in different directions from the hotel that day...

^ thats another reason not to allow these "throw ins"

my stickers are those used on conserves that go in the freezer

(they dont mind moisture that much and STICK )

where you still have to write on yerself, not preprinted with name and TFTC

and I till write up a few sentences in the log.

I know that even if the book/sheet goes soggy, my sticker will survive and the name is written with one of them water resistant felttippens.

whatever

Like I said.

Seems that its a pretty common thing or was at one point to place stickers on the logs.

It's a wonder that you didn't simply do a search if all you wanted to know is if it's common for people to log with stickers.

whatever

Like I said.

It's a wonder that you didn't simply do a search if all you wanted to know is if it's common for people to log with stickers.

2 years ago, that isn't recent.

whatever

Like I said.

2 years ago, that isn't recent.

Please see post 61.

Thanks.

Hello All,

Been a member for some time now but this is my first post as I recently purchased a GPSMAP 60CSx and just started finding caches.

Question, are the threads always so intense over such mole hill things around here? Been reading much the last week and it seems so! Ouch...

Frank

www.ZoarValley.us

Edited by Frank Broughton

I haven't seen a 'seal'.

I have seen stickers with the geocachers name on it, but they usually stick it on the log page.

Mostly in our neck of the woods I see stickers used for group finds at events, etc...

I believe that's done so a larger group can keep moving on the caches. When out finding 10-15 caches in a large group, it kind of slows things down if you wait for each individual to sign. So they either use a sticker or sign as 'the breakfast club group' or something like that.

Frank, welcome to the forums. You will find that there are generally a small number of very vocal and opinionated individuals who post often and quickly. Those tend to be the 'ouch' ones you are talking about. You'll also find that there are a great majority here who are helpful AND friendly! :)

(snip)

Frank, welcome to the forums. You will find that there are generally a small number of very vocal and opinionated individuals who post often and quickly. Those tend to be the 'ouch' ones you are talking about. You'll also find that there are a great majority here who are helpful AND friendly! :cute:

Thank you for the welcome! I be looking for the friendly ones then -_- & just :) at the rest!

-//- I sometimes wonder if they didn't each grab a sheet of stickers and head in different directions from the hotel that day...

That would be my only concurn... if I even cared that much.

The only time I ever police my logs is for my EarthCaches.

Frank, welcome to the forums. You will find that there are generally a small number of very vocal and opinionated individuals who post often and quickly. Those tend to be the 'ouch' ones you are talking about. You'll also find that there are a great majority here who are helpful AND friendly! :)

Most of us try to be helpful.

Welcome, Frank.

Hope you enjoy caching in that beautiful area you are from - There are some great hides there.

- Rev Mike

Two pages in and I am still chuckling over the "beam it in" comment. However, this takes the cake...

the rules clearly state that they must SIGN the logbook.

so, obviously you must delete their find, burn down their house, and eat their first born.

rules are rules.

:)

Gitmo is going to be losing many of it's inhabitants after Jan 21st. Perhaps there is space there for the offenders?

Dude, they found it. If it really chaps your a** that much, then send a polite note saying sometimes stuff happens and it's a really good idea to sign the log and hey, congrats on finding my 5* cache!

Breath in, Breath out, repeat.

My son & I have a sticker that we use, but we put it in the logbook. We don't have a signature item, so it's sort of like one since it's something we made from the heart, plus it's bright and is much more legible than if we wrote our names.

Stickers on normal sized log books are fine. Cachers who use a sticker and cover two or more positions on a micro sized logbook are... [FILL IN THE BLANK].

My caching partner and I see a lot of this out where we are. We personally enjoy signing the cache log rather then just slapping a sticker (which usually does not have a date on it) on the log. To each their own I guess though it is a bit annoying as you say to see 5 or 6 stickers on a really small log where 8-10 signatures could have easily fit. There is a lot of empty space on those stickers and sometimes I will actually sign on the sticker(s) themselves - though not on the actual name on the sticker..in order to preserve the life of the log.