logging with a sticker?

wapahani

Over the weekend we had some out of state cachers inbound. They found a few of my caches (one of which is a 5 star) and I questioned this (since they only have a handful of finds). Since they found my other cache close to my home I checked it out. Their logs state "left our seal". When I opened the log book, there was no signature. But in the plastic bag was a small sticker.

When I checked the other cache that was the 5 star, I found the same, no log signature, but a sticker instead, that was in the bag.

Another cache had the same, but no sticker in the log, instead it was just in the bottom of the locknlock.

I've see the stamps that people use, but never a sticker with no log. Or as they call it a "SeaL"

Anyone seen this before?

Clearly they found the cache, right? They didn't beam the sticker into it from space.

I'm not saying they "didn't find it". Never said that. I just found this as odd. Most people sign the log.

I also will mention that another cache I watch over, I wasn't able to find said sticker. Its a 1 of 1 cache that everyone finds (its so easy) no sticker.

So I checked another, and the sticker was on the ground.

I'm thinking of emailing them and saying they need to sign the log. I'm just not sure the point of the sticker since its not always staying in the cache!

My first thought was that they were out for a numbers run and just throwing the sticker in instead of taking the time to actually stick it in the log book. But looking at the caches, these aren't typical PNGs.

Anytime I've seen people log with stickers, they've actually been stuck in the log book. Of course, if they've just left the stickers in the cache, I would have overlooked them.

My guess is they are just new, and think that leaving something with their name is as good as a log. If it were my cache, I would let them keep the find, but maybe send them a polite email suggesting that in the future they stick the stickers in the logbook, to avoid any confusion. Stickers in caches do get lost, wet, traded, etc.

Clearly they found the cache, right? They didn't beam the sticker into it from space.
I'm not saying they "didn't find it". Never said that. I just found this as odd. Most people sign the log.

I also will mention that another cache I watch over, I wasn't able to find said sticker. Its a 1 of 1 cache that everyone finds (its so easy) no sticker.

So I checked another, and the sticker was on the ground.

I'm thinking of emailing them and saying they need to sign the log. I'm just not sure the point of the sticker since its not always staying in the cache!

From reading your posts, I believe that you fully believe that they found the caches. If this is true, why would you ever consider taking the position that they should return to the caches to sign the books? In general, I believe that it's best to only draw a line in those circumstances that require it. I don't see this as a situation that requires upping the angst level.

There are a few people out here in Socal that do the same thing. They don't sign the logbook, instead they leave their little tag in the cache container or baggie for the logbook. They still found it, so I don't question their find. What I dislike the most is that those little tags often fall out when others find the cache, instantly turning into trash. Its kinda like those geocachers that leave personal business cards in caches. It clutters most micro caches.

So bottom line, whether they signed the log in pen, pencil, crayon, stamp, sticker or otherwise, its a valid find. How they wish to personalize their log is totally up to them.

My son & I have a sticker that we use, but we put it in the logbook. We don't have a signature item, so it's sort of like one since it's something we made from the heart, plus it's bright and is much more legible than if we wrote our names.

Stickers on normal sized log books are fine. Cachers who use a sticker and cover two or more positions on a micro sized logbook are... [FILL IN THE BLANK].

My son & I have a sticker that we use, but we put it in the logbook. We don't have a signature item, so it's sort of like one since it's something we made from the heart, plus it's bright and is much more legible than if we wrote our names.

Stickers on normal sized log books are fine. Cachers who use a sticker and cover two or more positions on a micro sized logbook are... [FILL IN THE BLANK].

That mostly depends on their individual signature/sticker ratio and is off topic to this thread.

I'm thinking of emailing them and saying they need to sign the log.

I've seen this conversation/debate before, and it never seems to turn out well when cachers start confronting each other.

As mentioned by others, it appears that you believe they found the cache, so you might just want to suggest that in the future that they put it in the logbook itself so that it doesn't disappear.

I've seen this conversation/debate before, and it never seems to turn out well when cachers start confronting each other.

As mentioned by others, it appears that you believe they found the cache, so you might just want to suggest that in the future that they put it in the logbook itself so that it doesn't disappear.

This sounds like a good idea. They're clearly newbies in this case.

We have some local cachers who will drop their caching business card into the cache as proof of visit. Sometimes they sign the log, other times they don't -- it depends on a number of factors, for example:

-- Weather (If it's raining, why get the logbook wet? If it's cold, dropping in a card is faster.)

-- Time (On a numbers run, dropping the card is faster.)

-- Availability of a pen/pencil (sometimes the pencil is buried in with the swag and hard to locate)

The only annoying part is that when you open the logbook or the baggie the cards fall all over the place. Also, as noted by others, sometimes people who collect sig items come along and remove the cards as collectibles which leaves no proof of visit.

I have no objection to the practice. I'm not one of the people who believe signing the log is the ONLY way to provide proof of a find.

So I probably shouldn't be using them on nanos? ;)

Just kidding. Yeah, we use common sense and will not use them in caches where a signature (or initial if it's super small) would work better.

From reading your posts, I believe that you fully believe that they found the caches. If this is true, why would you ever consider taking the position that they should return to the caches to sign the books? In general, I believe that it's best to only draw a line in those circumstances that require it. I don't see this as a situation that requires upping the angst level.

When did I say I would make them "relog" the caches? I said I might email them and tell them to sign the logs, not meaning what they have already found, but doing so in the future. Don't make an assumption, because you completely missed that one.

I'm not going to delete their finds because in each of my caches they logged, I have found stickers.

What causes the issue is one cache that I watch was missing the sticker, and probably fell out of the matchsafe. Another one I visited was missing a sticker, but I located it 10 feet away on the little path.

Without signing the log, some CO's might dump their finds! That is all I was getting at.

John Hancock?

It could be worse. They could be signing the outside of the CONTAINER with a Sharpie.

I have done that...Cache was placed without a log and pencil...

Being it was a new cache...I assumed it had a pencil and a log ("Regular" sized cache)...nope had nothing and I had no paper...so I signed the container!!!

Edited by ArcherDragoon
When did I say I would make them "relog" the caches? I said I might email them and tell them to sign the logs, not meaning what they have already found, but doing so in the future.

Thanks for clarifying. I, along with other I think, thought you meant make them go back and sign into the caches that had the sticker in the bag/container.

It could be worse. They could be signing the outside of the CONTAINER with a Sharpie.

I chuckled, but I saw this 1 time. When I saw it I thought perhaps they owned it. Made a note, got home found they didn't! LOL :laughing:

This actually happened during a record numbers run. The record cachers were in a hurry so they signed the outside of many of the caches. They didn't expect the firestorm afterwards.

I would be extremely unhappy if someone used a sharpie on the outside of my hand crafted camouflaged caches.

As for stickers, I used to use Avery labels about 700 find ago. I resorted to signing the log, because I noticed the stickers fell off on occasion. I've thought about a self-inking stamp.

Edited by Kit Fox

I bought some return address labels and printed up a page of Sparticus06 stickers. I stick them in the log book next to a date and something short that I write. It has worked out well for me, except for really small micros. Next I am thinkin about going to a small rubber stamp...not sure yet as the stickers are still working out pretty good.

I'm pretty new to the sport yet so I just make sure to always bring along a pen AND a pencil (in case the log is damp and won't accept ink), and just use whichever item is most convenient. However, I've also spotted many log books that have rubber stamped ID's and address labels used as signatures. A few have even had specially printed "caching only" stickers with their caching username and some additional info printed on them, and I think THOSE are pretty clever. I personally don't mind if someone has used one of these stickers to indicate their find. They obviously found the cache...who cares HOW they "sign" the long book??

Some people have small stickers and there is a spot for the date to be written in, too, and they stick it in the log book. But we have been to caches where the log book was too wet so they signed a slip of paper and stuck it in the cache. Or scratched a signature in with a charred stick when no pen was around. Or left their geocaching business card inside. While I agree it has the potential to be misplaced it's still a find any way you slice it. And I kind of like the idea of open the cache, toss in a card, reseal it and run. Sometimes we have vicious saber-toothed skeeters eating us alive while we sit there struggling to find the last signature to sign after, messing with a pen that doesn't want to write or wrestling with a baggie that doesn't want to zip shut... :laughing:

Why not take the time and trouble to sign the log. Leave a signature item too if you wish.

The cache owner has taken a great deal of time and trouble to set up the cache - I reflect a little time and trouble by signing the log - even if it does take over 10 seconds.

That's what I do. I have business cards - which aren't business cards - just a personal card with my geocaching info on it.

I only put them in caches that can hold it and I also sign the logs. I don't let the card be my log signature.

I also don't leave these every time; just sometimes - depends on the cache type and cache size.

the rules clearly state that they must SIGN the logbook.

Well, I don't think a bank would accept a sticker on the back of a check instead of a signature, so why should a cache owner? :lol:

Seriously, though, why would someone throw in a loose sticker and not take the few seconds to affix it to a log book page? Very strange.

I bet I can tell you exactly what happened with the stickers this post is about.

Somebody had 'Ye Brite Idea' and printed up stickers in advance of the run.

Got on the run, & soon discovered that pulling out a sticker, picking picking picking at & finally peeling off the backing, & 'accurately' sticking it in place in the log (which, discovery #2: prolly 90% of 'em didn't wanta stick) was 5x the PITA that just signin' the stinkin' log would've been......BUT.....not wantin' all those precious stickers & the effort that went into making 'em to be a complete waste, decided just putting one in with the log was "good enough"....and soon even that deteriorated into just tossing one in the general direction of the cache.

How do I know this? Ask my girlfriend.

Oh well....she tried.

We cachers -- such a responsible lot!

~:lol:

Next topic - WATERPROOF INK'd STAMP PADS

~*

I'll chime in as another collector of sig items. I trade for any sig items that I find, including "business" cards. Loose items (even stickers) are swag or travelers. Loose items are not signature substitutes.

I don't have a problem with stickers on the log. I know a few geocachers who use them because their handwriting is illegible. And locally, groups that go on all-day caching hikes sometimes print stickers with the names of all the geocachers in the group.

And it's okay if the stickers take up a couple spots on a micro-cache log sheet. Some handwritten signatures take up "extra" space too.

When we have a large group going together, we print out stickers with the cachers going, the logo and website for our local caching group, and a spot to add the date. We always peel off the back and stick it on the appropriate page in the logbook, though.

I kind of like it like that. It lets people know about our group and gives the people who aren't stuck with sticking the sticker ( :lol: ) a bit of time to go through the swag. Not to mention with some of our handwriting, the sticker takes up less space then if we all signed the log!

Edited by SilverHorse

Over the weekend we had some out of state cachers inbound. They found a few of my caches (one of which is a 5 star) and I questioned this (since they only have a handful of finds). Since they found my other cache close to my home I checked it out. Their logs state "left our seal". When I opened the log book, there was no signature. But in the plastic bag was a small sticker.

When I checked the other cache that was the 5 star, I found the same, no log signature, but a sticker instead, that was in the bag.

Another cache had the same, but no sticker in the log, instead it was just in the bottom of the locknlock.

I've see the stamps that people use, but never a sticker with no log. Or as they call it a "SeaL"

Anyone seen this before?

Although I feel that this is a highly individual matter for cache owners, and I would not try to present it as a matter of right versus wrong, nor as a fundamentalist position firmly based in scripture in all the holy books of all the major religions of the world, I personally find even the practice of leaving only a small adhesive label (aka "sticker") affixed to the page of the logbook in lieu of a handwritten signed entry to be rather weird and offensive. And, if a putative finder did not bother to affix their label to a page of the logbook, and rather simply left a label lying in a plastic bag inside the cache, I would find this even far less acceptable by my standards, and I would, if I was feeling cranky or curmudgeonly that day (perhaps if I were having a bad hair day or a bad brain cell day that day...), be strongly tempted to void and delete their online find log, and further, if were having a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD bad hair day, then I would go the extra step and I would even consider hiring a skilled geo-assassin (www.geo-assassins-for-hire.com) to rub out the offending cacher, just as a matter of principle, and to keep the sport on the up-and-up by getting rid of the smelly riff-raff trash element types.

:lol:

:(

the rules clearly state that they must SIGN the logbook.

Well, I don't think a bank would accept a sticker on the back of a check instead of a signature, so why should a cache owner? :lol:

Seriously, though, why would someone throw in a loose sticker and not take the few seconds to affix it to a log book page? Very strange.

You know, it all boils down to

"What Would God Do?"

and I must say that I have a very hard time believing that God would accept an adhesive label, much less one found lying loose, as an acceptable substitute for a signature for any of the paperwork up in the heavenly realms.

And, for the atheists and agnostics and subquantum physicists among us, to put the touchy "God" issue aside for a moment, at the very least, the matter then boils down to

"What Would Paris Hilton Do?"

and I must say that I have a very hard time believing that Paris Hilton (aka She Who Is) would accept an adhesive label, much less one found lying loose, as an acceptable substitute for a signature on any of her paperwork in the heavenly realms (for it is She who is the True Center of the Universe and of All Creation, and it is She Who Created Our Universe and Who Breathes Grace Into Each of Us.)

Anyone seen this before?

I just modeled what I tell my students to do. Find the question. Underline or highlight the question. Then answer the question!

My answer = No

Short, sweet, and simple.

:lol:

I bet I can tell you exactly what happened with the stickers this post is about.

Somebody had 'Ye Brite Idea' and printed up stickers in advance of the run.

Got on the run, & soon discovered that pulling out a sticker, picking picking picking at & finally peeling off the backing, & 'accurately' sticking it in place in the log (which, discovery #2: prolly 90% of 'em didn't wanta stick) was 5x the PITA that just signin' the stinkin' log would've been......BUT.....not wantin' all those precious stickers & the effort that went into making 'em to be a complete waste, decided just putting one in with the log was "good enough"....and soon even that deteriorated into just tossing one in the general direction of the cache.

Here's the problem that I have with this theory (and the OP's post):

When you print out labels, they are not individuals like band-aids. They print in sheets. To use one, you peel the label off the sheet and stick it wherever you want it. When all the labels are gone, you are not left with a pile of individual 'backings', you are left with a big slick piece of paper.

Isn't it much more likely that the cacher was simply using cheapo labels that didn't stick so well and fell off?

I have found many stickers lying loose in caches. However, in these cases, I also found the spot in the log book where the sticker was originally attached. Many of the stickers in use discolor the paper and then fall off in the heat. Look nice at first stick, kinda yucky a couple years later.

As for the sig being the ultimate proof of finding ... does that mean I have to delete the find logs of those who signed the log book that disappeared along with the rest of the cache before I had a chance to see them?

round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round we go ...

Edward

if yer name is not in my logbook when i check it, you dont get a find.

or you show me a !to me! clear and !to me! unambiguous picture of you with the cache open.

-//-

-- Weather (If it's raining, why get the logbook wet? If it's cold, dropping in a card is faster.)

-- Time (On a numbers run, dropping the card is faster.)

-- Availability of a pen/pencil (sometimes the pencil is buried in with the swag and hard to locate)

:unsure: LOL ... those wont float with me ^childish excuses

wet: use your body/coat as shelter for the notebook

cold: north pole? Ild make sure i would log my name in that logbook!

time: gotta be kidding. ild reply with : get in shape and run faster but take 60seconds to sign the log.

pen : and you go caching without a writing instrument? I always take at least 2. my main one is a Fisher space pen : if this pen doesnt write, its either empty or you lost movement in your fingers.

The only annoying part is that when you open the logbook or the baggie the cards fall all over the place. Also, as noted by others, sometimes people who collect sig items come along and remove the cards as collectibles which leaves no proof of visit.

I have no objection to the practice. I'm not one of the people who believe signing the log is the ONLY way to provide proof of a find.

unless its a virtual or variant thereof : see first line of this post.

i can just imagine the reply : "I DID find that cache, somebody must have taken my logging card" or "the ants ate my card"

or "isnt there a mushy blob of paper in your cache that could be proof of me my find?"

excuses. sign the log with whatever you want, but sign it.

Step 4 – The Actual Find

Hurray! You found your first geocache. Congratulations! Now what?

1. Take note of the style and method of this hide. Where did this geocache bring you? Enjoy the location.

2. Sign the logbook with your name, the date, and a few words about your experience.

you dont HAVE to sit back and enjoy the location, that's just optional.

In one micro the logroll had turned into papier maché, some logs where unreadable and NOTHING would write on that "paper". I couldnt have logged it without my stickers.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...13-903f031fedbc

Edited by Guinness70

Yes, I have seen stickers (seal) lying in the bottom of the cache, where they fell when their adhesive gave up.

I don't like stickers.

Takes up too much space on the log scroll. (already covered)

Bad penmanship? Try printing, maybe a little at-home practice would help? Abbreviate and mention it in your online log.

While it might be a time-saver for the multi-team out-of-town group passing through, I sometimes wonder if they didn't each grab a sheet of stickers and head in different directions from the hotel that day...