Delete log for including spoiler

LEGO

A local cacher posted a spoiler for one of my caches in his found-it entry. I emailed him and politely asked him to remove the spoiler. So far, I have received no response.

How many of you would delete the log entry? I have thought about doing that, but have been hesitant.

I wouldn't have even waited to hear back from an email, I would have deleted it immediately and then sent an email explaining why.

What Mushtang said plus welcoming them to repost their find WITHOUT the spoiler.

I've done this numerous times, and never had any backlash.

Edited by Kit Fox

A local cacher posted a spoiler for one of my caches in his found-it entry. I emailed him and politely asked him to remove the spoiler. So far, I have received no response.

How many of you would delete the log entry? I have thought about doing that, but have been hesitant.

I would give them sometime to answer your e-mail. The one thing everybody should remember is not everybody checks their e-mails on a daily basis. But it's your cache and if they did find it but you wish the log to be removed you can encrypt it and wait for there response if any or delete it but please send them a e-mail saying why and invited them to please relog it but without a direct spoiler.

But I would say give them a little time to respond to your e-mail.

Which cache is that by the way? I was poking around tonight on caches to do in the area and would like to see that. :rolleyes:<_< Just kidding.

Personally I couldn't tell you if I'd deleted it or not. It would depend on how I want that cache page to stay spolier free. Some I would like too due to a spolier but then I think you know most caches don't read past the four logs anyways anymore. I don't unless it was one I really liked or if everybody (in those four logs) has some interesting logs to read. But there's been a few that I would have really like the cacher to change but I don't fight it.

Good luck with that. That can be a pretty hairy situation.

I would give them sometime to answer your e-mail. .....

It needs to be done quickly if you want to preserve the cache in the way you designed it. It bothers me when I design a cache at a particular difficulty level and someone else tries to modify it via the logs. Some of mine have a warning on the page that spoiler logs will be deleted, but that acceptable replacements are encouraged.

I would probably ask the finder to replace the log with another one that isn't a spoiler. I know some people go ahead and encrypt the spoiler-but that backfires with people like me. If I see an encyrpted log I always decrypt it to see what it says.

I might skip over a spoiler log not realizing it is a spoiler until after I have done the cache. Sometimes what seems like a huge spoiler to one person is fairly enigmatic to someone else.

Of course, if they said (About one of my caches in particular) "I didn't want to reach up inside the hollow tree to pull out the container attached to the stick, sitting on the lip inside the tree trunk, because I was afraid of spiders" then I *might* go ahead and delete that log. That's not just a spoiler, that is a complete giveaway!

The cache is GC1FCMY. I did delete the log entry, since I did not want the spoiler to remain on the page.
You gave them a chance but I would also send them another email explaining that you deleted their log because of the spoiler and offer them the chance to repost a log without it. No problem not wanting spoilers in the logs as that's the owner's call. Looks like everyone has fun so keep it that way.

We have caches we have requested "no pictures" as the whole idea is the uniqueness of the hide and so far no one has posted any. We have seen people post a picture stating that it's them pointing out the exact hiding spot location and when you click on it the caption says it was at night and it's a solid black JPG.... hehehehe

It really depends on the difficulty. If it's a one star cache, I'd probably leave the spoiler. Who cares if there's a spoiler on a cache that is easy to find?

If it's on a more difficulty hide and if it will spoil the fun then I'd go ahead and delete. Send a message of why it was deleted.

Here's the problem though, if someone is working on a puzzle or difficult hide, and has that cache on their watch list, then deleting the log with accomplish nothing. They'll get the notification the same time you do.

Here's the problem though, if someone is working on a puzzle or difficult hide, and has that cache on their watch list, then deleting the log with accomplish nothing. They'll get the notification the same time you do.

It's not THE problem, it's just A problem. THE problem would be having the spoiler in the logs. Either for someone going to find it and reading some past logs before they head out, or for the next round of PQs that people will then keep in their database until they go to find it months later. The sooner you delete the spoiler the fewer people will likely see it.

The watchlist thing is definitely a problem too, and there's nothing much you can do about it I suppose.

It depends.

When I leave a clue they are pretty explicit on where the cache is. For those caches where I have a clue and someone does a spoiler I'll ask them to encrypt that part of their log. If they don't I do it for them. Their spoiler isn't worse than my clue.

If I don't have a clue and don't want a clue I'll email and ask them to get rid of that part. Thus far I've had 100% compliance.

If I don't care, I'll do nothing. That's always easy. Most caches I really don't care. There was nothing special enough about the find to need a clue and if one is provided it doesn't take away from the nothing special part about the actual find.

If I had to delete a log, I would. But I weigh it against the goal of the cache. Most times it's to bring them to an area and the spoiler doesn't change that.

If I had to delete a log, I would. But I weigh it against the goal of the cache. Most times it's to bring them to an area and the spoiler doesn't change that.

Agreed. The only caches that I have that I'm concerned about are caches where the challenge is in the route choice to GZ. The logs I deleted were the ones that explicitly gave away the best route.