Essex Help required

lilbrownpony

Hello all, I work for the Council and would like to present the huge potential of Geocaching at the next management meeting. Obviously I need to have as much information on how I would take this forward before the meeting next week. If there is anyone out there that would be prepared to help me with this please contact me. Thank you

which Essex council????

We currently cache around the Basildon/Rochford/Southend council areas.

What sort of help do you need?

Yes Essex County Council, I am the Education Officer for the Country Parks and have no experience of caching but would personally like to get involved and also feel that it would be a great activitiy for the Country Parks to promote.

I would like to be able to run some training days in the country parks at weekends. Maybe do an annual event across several parks in one day. We have just been given the Mountain biking venue for 2012 so possibly even tie that in too. I keep having the ideas of what I would like but know nothing about ettiquette or procedure.

Several other councils have already given permission for caching, here is a link to our permissions database. Some are actively promoting caching as a way into their parks and to get exercise, for example Hampshire County Council.

If you put a caching permission in place then cachers will happily place caches to bring people into your parks. Yorkshire Dales National Park monitor the logs on caches to get honest feedback on their land and facilities.

Both Yorkshire Dales and Shropshire provide facilities for the public to borrow a GPS and try caching.

I am on the committee of the GAGB which liaises with landowners and I'd be happy to provide you with more information about other councils/landowners and agreements although one of the local cachers will be better placed to demonstrate and talk you through caching.

Thank you to eveyone for their help with this. I am so much more confident that this can now go forward and be successful. I am in the office tomorrow and really excited about getting on with this adventure.

With regards to the education side of things I will need help tying this into the NC so any assistance with that would be gratefully received.

Will contact all those who have emailed me in the morning. regards Jo

Jo has also been in touch with me at the Isle of Wight Council - we have run a very successful season of caching on the Island at council-run sites, with grant funding from Europe. See http://iwgeocaching.org for all the details.

We didn't have any trouble with TPTB, by the way. Quite the opposite. Although we were quite careful to ensure that our caches complied with guidelines, as being listed on geocaching.com is more-or-less essential for successful public caches.

Thank you to eveyone for their help with this. I am so much more confident that this can now go forward and be successful. I am in the office tomorrow and really excited about getting on with this adventure.

With regards to the education side of things I will need help tying this into the NC so any assistance with that would be gratefully received.

Will contact all those who have emailed me in the morning. regards Jo

How did it go?

Do you have plans to incorporate caching for all abilities? Hope so! :D

Hello again!

After a sucessful meeting flogging the good name of Geocaching. I skipped off into Chelmsford to purchase our first GPS....... 2 hours later I return emptied handed and battered by hail stones. I had all great intentions of buying the Megellan 200 but discover you cant buy anything other than Garmin in Chelmsford and unfortunately the one in Blacks wouldnt work. Huge thanks to the lovely Jeremy who tried his hardest. I will not give up though and intend to return to the same shop on Thursday after I hope they have all had a practise run!

Now I am at the stage where I really do need some kind person to volunteer to come and face the Site Managers at a meeting and walk them and me through the whole process. The best way to promote this is from the people themselves.

I have been asked to provide figures................ how many people do I think geocache in Essex? Does anyone have any idea or know where I could find this out?

One good of bit of news today........ the very posh and flashy canisters used by IOW gecaching that I thought had been custom made were in fact ones purchased from Matalan!!! So at the end of the day we may not have a GPS yet but I do know where I can get some lovely containers to hide all the stuff in eventually.

Please keep in touch if there is anything you would like me to include in meetings or you think I should be aware of.

Thanks Jo

Not sure how to find out numbers of cachers in Essex. However remember cachers are typically a mobile bunch and will travel for a good set of caches, so maybe you should be looking at numbers of cachers in surrounding areas as well.

A local area cacher is currently setting up an event with the rangers at Hadleigh Country Park (planned for January).

As for cache containers the Clip Lock boxes you can purchase cheapily from supermarkets do the job wonderfully

Edited by skibumsuk

Hello again!

Now I am at the stage where I really do need some kind person to volunteer to come and face the Site Managers at a meeting and walk them and me through the whole process. The best way to promote this is from the people themselves.

whilst I am not an essex cacher, if you get stuck and its not too far from Herts then I could come across and help out.

I suspect you will find a more local helper.

Hi

Thanks for keeping in contact with me. I am busy beavering away in the background on this.

I am hoping to speak to someone who has placed a few caches in Hadleigh Country Park next week. Although in the early stages it is moving closer every week. My aim is to hold a Mega Event next year including all of the Country Parks. It would be great if we could get an experienced geocacher in each park for the day......................... do you know any!!!!!!! hint hint!

I found my first geocache today... It was great, I loved every minute.

Hi

Thanks for keeping in contact with me. I am busy beavering away in the background on this.

I am hoping to speak to someone who has placed a few caches in Hadleigh Country Park next week. Although in the early stages it is moving closer every week. My aim is to hold a Mega Event next year including all of the Country Parks. It would be great if we could get an experienced geocacher in each park for the day......................... do you know any!!!!!!! hint hint!

I found my first geocache today... It was great, I loved every minute.

I love Alfarrows caches in Hadleigh Park they are some of our favourites.

There are already a series of caches in Thorndon Country Park

Edited by skibumsuk

Sorry to come in so late on this, but you have a colleague in Basildon Council who is also keen to incorporate Geocaching into their website & policy for open spaces as it "ticks many of the Council's Performance Management boxes".

You many already be aware of him, but I will send his details to your work e-mail

Hi

There are some differences between the Country Parks that I deal with for Essex County Council and Basildon and the surrounding areas. However, that does not mean that we are unable to work together on this.

I look forward to getting in touch with him and seeing what his plans are. This is just the sort of information that I need to help make this project work. Thank you.

I am still in need of some figures............. I have been asked to provide numbers of people who reguarly geocache. Do you know if anyone has ever carried out a survey?

Many thanks

Jo