Do Geocaching Google Maps Ruin the Fun.

I'm new here and I'm sure this has been beaten to death...but I want to know what others think.

I know I have the option of not using the maps...but I feel that it takes the fun out of the hobby. To be able to look at Google Earth and zoom in on a cache, right down to the exact park bench or bush it's located under just ruins the whole reason for Geo-caching. You don't even need a GPS unit! So why bother buying one to play this game? I would be fine with everything else but the magnifying glass from space is a little too much.

Rant off...nomex suit on...fire away. :rolleyes:

When you start upping the difficulty level of the caches you search for, you'll find that the maps don't help much. Try some 3's and 4's. Also, maps won't help for multi caches and then there are puzzle caches that require more work.

You are right to start off searching for the easier caches, take time developing your geo-senses. But also, appreciate the the interesting places that the 1's and 2's are taking you (assuming that you're doing caches other parking lot micros)

Welcome to the addiction! :rolleyes:

The great thing about them is you don't have to look at them if you don't want to, but they are there for those that like them.

I have limited mobility, and find the maps really help to decide which caches I can try for, and which ones may be beyond my limits.

I'm not sure what your complaint is about though. I've seen very few times the maps would give away the actual cache spot. Maybe I'm not zooming in far enough, or studying it hard enough. I just use them to get an idea how far off the main trail or into a park the cache is. I still need the GPSr to find it when I get there.

The great thing about them is you don't have to look at them if you don't want to, but they are there for those that like them.

I have limited mobility, and find the maps really help to decide which caches I can try for, and which ones may be beyond my limits.

I'm not sure what your complaint is about though. I've seen very few times the maps would give away the actual cache spot. Maybe I'm not zooming in far enough, or studying it hard enough. I just use them to get an idea how far off the main trail or into a park the cache is. I still need the GPSr to find it when I get there.

This is a really good point. I have used the maps for basic directions on how to get to the area.

- Elle

I know I have the option of not using the maps...but I feel that it takes the fun out of the hobby.

Correct, you don't have to use them. I've used Google Maps (and GoogleEarth) a lot to look at different things, but have yet to load a single cache into them or use them to zoom into a single cache location.

So I'd say no, Google Maps haven't ruined any fun for me.

I've often wondered what it must have been like in the early days of geocaching without the benefit of all the maps that we have these days.

Personally, for urban hides, maps save me the frustration of driving around and around looking for the right road. For more remote caches, maps help me to be prepared but dont diminish the experience of the actual visit. I dont actually remember a time when maps spoiled things.

Having said that, if you want to cache without maps, go for it. We all play the game differently and you're not required to use them.

Do bowling balls ruin the fun?

It depends on your definition of fun, and what you are doing with the bowling ball.

If I drop it on my toes, then to me it ruins the fun.

If I roll it down the lane and try to hit the pins, then it doesn't ruin the fun.

You, however, might like showing off your steel-toed boots, so dropping the bowling ball on your toes may be fun to you.

Same is true of the maps.

Just use them in a way that doesn't ruin the fun for you.

:rolleyes:

I find geocaching google maps to be quite handy. I use them to confirm whether caches are hidden in spots that I dislike. If the caches are in parking lots, housing tracts, or other spots I dislike, they go on my ignore list. :rolleyes:

I also use this maps (on occasion) to find routes for backcountry caches. Switching to "mytopo" helps me check for obscure trails, and avoid cliffs. <_<

They have not ruined the fun for me.

When you start upping the difficulty level of the caches you search for, you'll find that the maps don't help much. Try some 3's and 4's. Also, maps won't help for multi caches and then there are puzzle caches that require more work.

You are right to start off searching for the easier caches, take time developing your geo-senses. But also, appreciate the the interesting places that the 1's and 2's are taking you (assuming that you're doing caches other parking lot micros)

Its' relatively clear you don't use the maps to their full potential. Maps do have enough data to find any cache regardless of type or location. About 20% of my finds are 3 or above. Maps are fine for multis but you may need to print a new one for each stage. Once you work a puzzle the map is still good enough to find it.. just like with a GPS. GPSless is a different way to cache, but it's not necessarily any easier than with a GPS. For an experienced map reader some caches may be easier than with a GPS but for most caches it is certainly harder.

Edited by edscott

Don't get to confident in Google imagery. Sure, in some locations you can zoom in on the correct lamp post from your home computer. I've even found using only Google images. BUT:

- Many locations in the world have very poor quality images, such that you can barely reconize a large building, much less a cache hiding location.

- In many locations the images are of good quality, but old and/or wrong (Downtown Chattanooga, TN, USA's riverfront area was completely rebuilt about 5 years ago, including major road shifts, but Google is still using the old images)

- In some locations the images are of good quality, but aren't located correctly (some areas of Starkville, MS, USA are off by several hundred feet)

I think the Google maps are a great asset to the game for many reasons. Sometimes I do use them to locate the cache and not use the GPS. I see that as a fun variation to the game instead of a drawback. Can I read the map well enough to figure out the right place to search? Other times the maps help me understand how to approach the cache. Sometimes the maps are of little help, but then that applies to the GPS as well from time to time. And dare I say it also applies to a lot of cache pages?

Its' relatively clear you don't use the maps to their full potential. Maps do have enough data to find any cache regardless of type or location. About 20% of my finds are 3 or above. Maps are fine for multis but you may need to print a new one for each stage. Once you work a puzzle the map is still good enough to find it.. just like with a GPS. GPSless is a different way to cache, but it's not necessarily any easier than with a GPS. For an experienced map reader some caches may be easier than with a GPS but for most caches it is certainly harder.

Ed,

My point was that using maps doesn't "ruin the fun". A hide that has a 3 or more difficulty level can still be a challenge to find even if a map shows you exactly which bush to look under. It may be well camo'd or a clever hide. And of course you can use a map after you solve a puzzle cache, but isn't part of the fun in solving the puzzle?

I am an orienteerer too, not an expert like you- but yes, I can read a map. And I believe the OP was speaking about Google Earth maps not topographical maps.

Google maps aren't always the best; many parts of my area are in the 'lower' resolution images. I can usually only tell if there's green or non-green (pavement) in an area. That's not too much help.

And that's considering I switch to satellite view. Which I don't. I just use the map to get a cache area figured out, then off to the PQs.

I've often wondered what it must have been like in the early days of geocaching without the benefit of all the maps that we have these days.

I don't profess to be around in the very early days of geocaching, but yet over 5 years. I do remember we had Microsoft Terraserver B+W images. I suppose you could find most parking lot micros from the Google sat view, but I don't find those anyways. There is a series of 30+ caches in my area where you don't even need a sat image, just a quick glance at mapquest is good enough (I don't find those either). So I guess what I'm saying is, if you find it no challenge, ignore it. Or at the very least, ignore the images, you don't have to look at them. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I don't profess to be around in the very early days of geocaching, but yet over 5 years. I do remember we had Microsoft Terraserver B+W images. I suppose you could find most parking lot micros from the Google sat view, but I don't find those anyways. There is a series of 30+ caches in my area where you don't even need a sat image, just a quick glance at mapquest is good enough (I don't find those either). So I guess what I'm saying is, if you find it no challenge, ignore it. Or at the very least, ignore the images, you don't have to look at them. ;)

Yes the maps have been around since before geocaching, but the links from the GC site are relatively new. When I started caching I used Lostoutdoors.com, then they went away and I used Topozone. Now I use the Google link from the GC page. Each had its good points and bad ones, but it is possible to learn their individual strengths and weaknesses and focus on using the strengths for navigation. Since I got here via Orienteering my "fun" is more in the navigation than in the search. My favorite caches usually involve spending an hour or so navigating to a spot then a couple minutes finding the box rather than the other way around.

Thanks everyone...being a newbie at this y'all opened my mind to other ways of looking at this hobby. I was looking at it from the perspective of using a GPS unit as "THE TOOL"...not as "A TOOL".

The Google Earth Sat. photo imagery in my neck of the woods is very, very good…in fact you can zoom on individual trees in a lot of locales....gives ya a whole new perspective on the Big Bro thing. ;)

Yes the maps have been around since before geocaching, but the links from the GC site are relatively new. When I started caching I used Lostoutdoors.com, then they went away and I used Topozone.

I still weep for the loss of lostoutdoors.com. ;)

Yeah, me too. I remember Navicache had it on cache pages, but I'm almost positive they never did here. Imagine when Navicache actually had a feature that was better then they had here. :D

I still have a couple of lostoutdoors.com images uploaded to my cache pages, where I plotted out parking, trailheads, and cache locations (In the woods, of course).

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

[its' relatively clear you don't use the maps to their full potential. Maps do have enough data to find any cache regardless of type or location. About 20% of my finds are 3 or above. Maps are fine for multis but you may need to print a new one for each stage. Once you work a puzzle the map is still good enough to find it.. just like with a GPS. GPSless is a different way to cache, but it's not necessarily any easier than with a GPS. For an experienced map reader some caches may be easier than with a GPS but for most caches it is certainly harder.

Not quite...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...26-3e6494bd20e0

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b1-5cf99d10fbd2

...To be able to look at Google Earth and zoom in on a cache, right down to the exact park bench or bush it's located under just ruins the whole reason for Geo-caching. You don't even need a GPS unit! So why bother buying one to play this game? I would be fine with everything else but the magnifying glass from space is a little too much....

It's like sex as you get older. Sure you see them all day and yes age has taken it's toll, but you always have the option to turn off the light when the time comes.

Maybe you saw the cache on google maps, but your memory is likely fuzzy enough by the time you get close enough to where you would have to refresh your mental map as you get close to looking. It's at your discression to leave the light on or off. You have to work out your own deal.

FYI.

The Pixel on a google map is about as accurate a a GPS. Give or take a few feet. Your GPS would take you to the same park bench as the map. You still have to find the cache, which may or may not be under the bench.

[its' relatively clear you don't use the maps to their full potential. Maps do have enough data to find any cache regardless of type or location. About 20% of my finds are 3 or above. Maps are fine for multis but you may need to print a new one for each stage. Once you work a puzzle the map is still good enough to find it.. just like with a GPS. GPSless is a different way to cache, but it's not necessarily any easier than with a GPS. For an experienced map reader some caches may be easier than with a GPS but for most caches it is certainly harder.

Not quite...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...26-3e6494bd20e0

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b1-5cf99d10fbd2

OK.. checked out the first map you suggested. It looks innocent enough, but since you suggest it is a challenge I'm assuming there is more there than I can see. Unless the whole area is now a Walmart, a landfill or something similar, I can get to ground zero using the outlying details.. pathways buildings etc. Did one that looked a bit like this once that was in a tunnel about 10 feet under the surface with an entrance some distance way. Bottom line is I'll end up right where the GPS users end up and after that we're all on the same footing. Couldn't see map 2 as I don't have a premium membership. I've never found a feature among the all GPS related premium perks that I could really use effectively.. but that's a different thread. :laughing: All I can say is that for me it's the maps that make it fun and without them I would stick entirely to Orienteering or hiking and forget about caching.

yeah, ill use google maps when doing several in an area, so its easier to figure out a route, but still use the GPS to actually get the cache

would be hard to get to a cache if its not nearyby something that will be spotted on the satpics

screenshot1jo2.th.png

and ill have the numbered list printed out.

Edited by Guinness70

I used Google maps to help me find a cache without having my gps.

I was far from home, on a business trip, and had not brought my gps. I saw there was a cache very close to my hotel. It was a puzzle cache, I figured out the message that gave the real coordinates, and used google maps to help me visualize where to go.

I found the cache easily, and since I didn't have my gps, I would not have had a chance without google maps.

Edited by theduffster

I'm new here and I'm sure this has been beaten to death...but I want to know what others think.

I know I have the option of not using the maps...but I feel that it takes the fun out of the hobby. To be able to look at Google Earth and zoom in on a cache, right down to the exact park bench or bush it's located under just ruins the whole reason for Geo-caching. You don't even need a GPS unit! So why bother buying one to play this game? I would be fine with everything else but the magnifying glass from space is a little too much.

Rant off...nomex suit on...fire away. :unsure:

With or without the maps, satellite or aerial shots, with or without the GPS, it's all been done. Play the way that suits you best.

I think it really depends on why you geocache. I do it mainly because it gives my exploration of the world purpose. Geocaching has taken me to some truly amazing places that I never would have found otherwise so for me it is the journey and the location far more than the hunt. I recently finished 10/11 legs of a multicache in the mountains west of the US Air Force Academy that included numerous mining trails, historic rotting structures, mountain peaks, etc. Using a map and all forms of navigation (car-powered laptop with cell phone internet, google earth, 4WD, jeep trails, mountain bike, trailblazing, etc) is the most thrilling form of the craft. Now, I know others enjoy the thrill of the search, of finding that needle in the haystack. I just don't have the patience to search a boulder-field for a micro, and it blows my mind to hear people actually try this without a GPS--crazy! But, like others have mentioned, each person has a different reason and different aspects of the hobby that they enjoy. For you, it may ruin the hunt to use maps. For me, I love it (and the new Google maps street view is crazy!).

If you could zoom all the way in to spot the micro hidden under the bench, I could see your point, but as it stands, when you arrive at ground zero, you will be able to see everything that Google Maps showed and lots more. Given this, how could the map 'ruin the fun'?

There's actually a puzzle cache in town that gives you nothing but 4 Google Maps Satellite pictures. Each one zooming in a bit more. From that you have to find the cache location. Turns out you can see exactly where the cache is hidden from that alone, but it seemed different when we got there.

When originally published, there was an alternate method to find the cache, but it looks like the owner took that option away.

Edited by Skippermark

Sounds like its time to update the official description of Geocaching. Hope nobody minds if I try my hand at fixing it:

Getting Started with Geocaching

Geocaching (pronounced geo-cashing) is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology or Google Maps and then share the geocache's existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit or the internet can then try to locate the geocache.

1) Easy Steps to Geocaching

2) Register for a free account.

3) Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

4) Enter your postal code and click "search."

5) Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

6) Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS unit or zoom in on Google Maps.

7) Use your GPS unit or Google Maps to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

8) Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

9) Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

Sounds like its time to update the official description of Geocaching. Hope nobody minds if I try my hand at fixing it:

Getting Started with Geocaching

Geocaching (pronounced geo-cashing) is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology or Google Maps and then share the geocache's existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit or the internet can then try to locate the geocache.

6) Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS unit or zoom in on Google Maps.

7) Use your GPS unit or Google Maps to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

or even better...

6) Find the hidden geocache.

KISS