Tilt phone

kateweb

Im thinking of getting the tilt phone from ATT/cingular but to use the GPS software that makes the GPS antenna work you have to pay $20 a month since it is a windows mobile phone i can put what ever i want on it and not worry about the charge according to the ATT rep so anyone have any experience or suggestions ?

Should be able to unless the 20$ software has something special. I have a Sprint PPC6800 aka Mogul and it has the built in GPS chip. Sprint wanted a monthly charge for the nav software, but any one of a dozen Windows Mobile software worked on it just fine. Some were even free like Google maps.

Windows Live is another good software package for finding places and getting directions to them, real time maps with GPS, etc.

Are you looking for street level mapping software or geocaching software or what? One thing to know with some of the street level map software (ie google maps and Windows Live) is that is downloads the map segments as you need them, so you better have a data plan with your phone.

Im thinking of getting the tilt phone from ATT/cingular but to use the GPS software that makes the GPS antenna work you have to pay $20 a month since it is a windows mobile phone i can put what ever i want on it and not worry about the charge according to the ATT rep so anyone have any experience or suggestions ?
I have a Tilt. The built-in GPS works for free. If you want to use their navigation software, you probably have to pay a monthly fee and need a data plan. I bought Garmin Mobile XT on a card to use instead, since I didn't want to depend on a data connection when I get lost. :rolleyes: That said, I haven't found it particularly usable for actually finding geocaches (other than cache information, using cachemate and the gc web site) due to the static navigation problem. I'm used to caching with a Garmin 60cs which has a compass and the pointer will point in the right direction as you wander around the cache. But the Tilt with Garmin Mobile XT works better than my 60cs for auto navigation!