Strange Log

Anonymous'

So the other day I received an email notifying me of this strange log on my cache. I'm not really sure what to make of it. It's encrypted in ROT13 but even decrypted it still makes no sense. The cacher recently made his account and logged two caches but hasn't been on since and never replied to my email asking about the log. I know the easy thing to do would be just to delete it, but it's just so weird that I wanted your take on it.

So the other day I received an email notifying me of this strange log on my cache. I'm not really sure what to make of it. It's encrypted in ROT13 but even decrypted it still makes no sense. The cacher recently made his account and logged two caches but hasn't been on since and never replied to my email asking about the log. I know the easy thing to do would be just to delete it, but it's just so weird that I wanted your take on it.

Well its not a smiley log, just a note. The two caches logged were "normal" logs. My guess? He was trying out the log function and posted gibberish just to see how it worked. Or it could be spy passing valuable national security secrets. If it was my cache I probably would just leave it.

Jim

Well, as another poster has already pointed out, it is not a find log (and thus no need to worry about whether it might be fraudulent, and no need to be tempted to check the physical logbook for a log entry), and rather, it is only a log note, and so I would likely leave it, but, knowing myself, I would likely add an owner's note adjacent to this log entry explaining that its purpose and meaning are unknown at this point, but that I am leaving for the sake of the history of the cache. And... the note may also well be encrypted using a system other than ROT13. I will show it to Sue later and see if she has any ideas; she is the Puzzle Queen.

I think it's just someone who was frustrated because he couldn't find your cache. You'll notice there are no short words (a, in, is, are, the, I, and, to, etc.) in the message. How often does one write sentences containing only long words (Vinny doesn't count!)

But notice that all the words are 8 characters long. This is a common method in codes to make them a little harder to break using exactly what you were trying to do.

This sentence, if coded, would be easier to break. However...

thissent enceifco dedwould beharder tobreak

I'm sure Sue will recognize this immediately.

I think it's just someone who was frustrated because he couldn't find your cache. You'll notice there are no short words (a, in, is, are, the, I, and, to, etc.) in the message. How often does one write sentences containing only long words (Vinny doesn't count!)

But notice that all the words are 8 characters long. This is a common method in codes to make them a little harder to break using exactly what you were trying to do.

This sentence, if coded, would be easier to break. However...

thissent enceifco dedwould beharder tobreak

I'm sure Sue will recognize this immediately.

Well, I asked Sue to take a look, and she feels that it is highly significant that the post is broken into 8-character "words", and that this, along with the gibberish combo of characters, indicates that -- if this IS a coded message of some kind -- this is NOT a simple substitution (i.e., such as ROT13) encryption, but rather, that it may be any of a number of different ciphers, but for any of them, a keyword would be needed in order to decipher, and it looks in this case like the keyword was not provided (it this is indeed really a coded message and not simply gibberish...) Beyond that, Sue was not willing to spend any further time on the matter, and so there it rests for now! :rolleyes:

I must also note that the cacher in question also left a rather questionable find log on one of his/her two finds to date, because while the cache listing page clearly states that finders should ONLY try to retrieve the cache from its high hiding place if they have the equipment at hand to allow successfully replacing it, and yet, the cacher in question announces clearly in her/his log entry that s/he retrieved the cache and then did not bother to return it to its original high position, and his/her replacement of the cache in a lower spot was confirmed by the subsequent finder. Of course, since s/he is likely very much a newbie cacher, such a misunderstanding/ mistake is perhaps understandable... All in all, the whole picture -- that is, the new account, the two finds, the exact nature of the finds, and the subsequent encoded log note -- is kinda odd!

The other day I got an email from VT_EMT saying he had solved the strange code: "I decoded it. It's a Vigenere square cipher w/ a random a keyword. But w/ some of my utilites I was able to decode it."

The email goes on to list what the code decrypted into...coordinates. I've been really puzzled by the whole deal and excited at the same time to go see what was at the coordinates.

Today I went to the coordinates which led me to a bench. Under the bench was a pre-existing cache which many logs inside. I emailed the owner of several mystery caches in the area to see if it was one of their caches that the coordinates led to. The whole deal is very strange and just has me utterly perplexed as to why someone would encrypt the final coordinates for someone's mystery cache and post it as a note on an entirely different cache.

quite the unique story, many would have deleted the log or taken no action - good job. Now, you can't leave the job incomplete, send your new friend a message using their code and see what you get.

Send a message with the numbers to the cache you found to your VCR and see if they can determine what the cache# is

I got an email from the owner of the cache that I found. It turns out the note that was posted on my cache page was copied and pasted from one of their mystery caches. What's weird though is that the code word you have to use to decrypt their puzzle is different than the one that the code cracking software found.

Thats not really a strange log, they are just waiting for you to forget about it so they can change it to a find.

This is a strange log:

Found the cache location but cache has been removed. We'll replace it weekend.

It was a "needs maintenence" log from someone with 0 finds - and the cache was there.