Kent Cache Machine

Berta Nick Zoey

Thanks Harriet,

I have emailed the cache owner on this. If she cant replace it by the time the cache machine rolls around. I will take it off the route. It wont impact the route at all.

I always double check the "Found Last date" prior to the event and pull things that are questionable. I just hadnt gotten that far on this route yet. Guess I better get a move on.

Nick

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

I have a couple of requests for the upcoming CM. First, add an overview map of the CM. It helps those who are unfamiliar with the surrounding area so you can get some bearings and also if you want to get a couple of extra of caches along the way, such as puzzle caches or that Flaming Geyser virtual, for example. It also helps if you start running out of time, you know where you can trim your route so you can make dinner. There wasn't one for the Sumner CM. Second, post the starting cache and meet up time of the first cache on the cache page so people know where and when to can say howdy at the start of the CM. Thanks and see you in a few weeks.

Second, post the starting cache and meet up time of the first cache on the cache page so people know where and when to can say howdy at the start of the CM. Thanks and see you in a few weeks.

I'm going to respond to this request. The 'new' format of the cache machine event pages was very carefully worked out with Groundspeak. Leaving the starting cache and meet up time off of the event page is not an oversight. All of the details of the 'cache run' need to be handled in the forums or on an off-site event landing page.

In the past few days there have been reports getting back to me on some of the caches on the Kent Cache Machine. Any changes will be reflected in an updated route that I wll get out this week. Any other changes between then and the Cache Machine will show in the final.

The bookmark list will also be updated.

A few changes are as follows.

#4 GCRG1K No Snow Today originally showed access from 210th SE. That has been corrected and the parking with be on 212th SE (right in front of the park).

I have decided to remove: # 29 GC12947 Beyond the Gate and #GC15Z12 Beyond Beyond the Gate because of limited parking.

There are several others that havent been found in over 6 weeks and I will be making trips to those before the final is posted to see if they are still there.

Thanks

Nick

Hi,

Being this is our first CM are there different requirements for logging a cache, ie do we sign the log as a group or as individuals?

SEattleWinter

Contrary to the KCM's approvers idea of what a Cache Machine is all about it is all about the numbers. So the faster you get the log signed the bigger your numbers are at the end of the day. The group I Cache Machine with can sometimes get pretty big so instead of standing around waiting for 10 people to sign the log, we have a Cache Menagerie sticker that we use for the whole group. Slap a sticker on the log and you're outathere.

But if you're not in in for the numbers you can stand aroud waiting for each person in your group to sign the log or wait for them to dig their stamp out of their bag of stuff but of course they don't start this process until they have the actual log book in their hand, then after stamping the log wait for them to decide which one of their 10 pens or pencils they want to use to date the log.

Edited by LandRover

Hi,

Being this is our first CM are there different requirements for logging a cache, ie do we sign the log as a group or as individuals?

SEattleWinter

Contrary to the KCM's approvers idea of what a Cache Machine is all about it is all about the numbers. So the faster you get the log signed the bigger your numbers are at the end of the day. The group I Cache Machine with can sometimes get pretty big so instead of standing around waiting for 10 people to sign the log, we have a Cache Menagerie sticker that we use for the whole group. Slap a sticker on the log and you're outathere.

But if you're not in in for the numbers you can stand aroud waiting for each person in your group to sign the log or wait for them to dig their stamp out of their bag of stuff but of course they don't start this process until they have the actual log book in their hand, then after stamping the log wait for them to decide which one of their 10 pens or pencils they want to use to date the log.

This exemplifies one of the reasons I haven't ever done a cache machine and doubt that I will. I actually feel a little strange when I find a cache with someone other than a Team Wrastro member. I have done it a few times, including a great day on the Iron Horse with LR and Nick, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

Hope everyone has a great time and the weather cooperates.

Hi,

SEattleWinter

This exemplifies one of the reasons I haven't ever done a cache machine and doubt that I will. I actually feel a little strange when I find a cache with someone other than a Team Wrastro member. I have done it a few times, including a great day on the Iron Horse with LR and Nick, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

Don't let that hold you back Wrastro. Everyone has their own cache machine style. Some team up, some go solo, some go as fast as they can, some go at a leisurely pace and only do part of it. Do it your way and you'll have a good time.

Hi,

SEattleWinter

Don't let that hold you back Wrastro. Everyone has their own cache machine style. Some team up, some go solo, some go as fast as they can, some go at a leisurely pace and only do part of it. Do it your way and you'll have a good time.

What she said. Few of us can keep up with PP, LandRover, and their Cache Menagerie, so we don't even try. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, PP is correct - not everyone starts at oh-dark-thirty with the herd and follows the prescribed route at breakneck speed. Usually, if I attend, I team up with a couple folks, pick our own start time, choose a section of the route that most interests us and start there, and travel at our own pace. It IS nice to have an optimized route of caches for an area I don't frequent (thanks, Travis!), and to have a bit of a numbers fling once in a while, with the bonus of seeing other cachers along the way, both friends and new acquaintances. For most of us, the social aspect is as important as the caches on a CM.

But agree that CMs are definitely not for everyone, at least not all the time. This year, I attended Yakima, but skipped two recent ones (Missoula, Victoria) cos I wasn't interested in doing those areas in hyperdrive (cost was a factor, too). I also missed the local Sumner CM, and wasn't planning to attend this one - but Wrastro, if you want to dip your toe in, drop me a note, and maybe we can head down for a bit of a lark and see some of the gang.

Hi,

SEattleWinter

What she said. Few of us can keep up with PP, LandRover, and their Cache Menagerie, so we don't even try. :)

Seriously, though, PP is correct - not everyone starts at oh-dark-thirty with the herd and follows the prescribed route at breakneck speed. Usually, if I attend, I team up with a couple folks, pick our own start time, choose a section of the route that most interests us and start there, and travel at our own pace. It IS nice to have an optimized route of caches for an area I don't frequent (thanks, Travis!), and to have a bit of a numbers fling once in a while, with the bonus of seeing other cachers along the way, both friends and new acquaintances. For most of us, the social aspect is as important as the caches on a CM.

But agree that CMs are definitely not for everyone, at least not all the time. This year, I attended Yakima, but skipped two recent ones (Missoula, Victoria) cos I wasn't interested in doing those areas in hyperdrive (cost was a factor, too). I also missed the local Sumner CM, and wasn't planning to attend this one - but Wrastro, if you want to dip your toe in, drop me a note, and maybe we can head down for a bit of a lark and see some of the gang.

I definitely understand the appeal of the route planning in an area you don't know. I will think about your offer and drop you a note later.

Heres an update on the Kent Cache Machine route.

These changes will bereflected in the final routw which I will publish early next week. If anyone wants a GPX file of the route, email me and I'll send it to you.

Removed Stop 37 GCRX47 - Soosette Creek Micro

Added IC70Z - Evil ©ammo 6

Added GCID5CZ - Fork In The Road

Added GCVEGQ - Curious George

Added GC1073X - Historic Maple Valley

As far as the caches that are currently disabled, I have been told by all owners that these wold be back up in time for the Cache Machine. Theres also two other caches that I want to add to the route that have been published since I did the map, but if I cant figure out how to cut/paste them from another map, I wont be able to add them.

Addressing Wrastro's comments, with Berta and I being on the fairly new end of events. I actually enjoy meeting my fellow cachers more than the hunt itself.

One other item, If there is any one that wants/needs 30 cal ammo cans, Let me know and I will bring some to either the Friday or Saturday night meal. Or my house is right on the route and I will give coords to you. Im asking $4 per can. If you want alot, I may discount them for you.

Thanks

Nick

I have gotten the Final Route completed, however the link on the Event Page will not be available until Monday afternoon.

Im fairly pleased with the variety on this route and make sure you have your hiking shoes on because theres several stops along the way where as many as 4 or 5 caches will be available from one parking spot.

Any further changes and I really dont anticipate any will be announced on Friday evening at Godfathers.

PLEASE BE ADVISED CACHES 59 THROUGH 64 ARE IN A LOCATION WHERE THERE HAS BEEN COUGAR SIGHTINGS DURING THE PAST WEEK.

I walked 2 miles out there on Saturday and didnt see anything

Okay, lets see how good my memory is as far as the caches that have some walking to them.

#4 Mill Creek Swamp about .46 round trip

These two are at the same stop: about .44 round trip

#35 Camo My Eggo

#36 Elves Watch The World Go By

#46 Dragonfly Nest

These two are at the same stop less than 1/2 mile round trip

#49 The Hidden Valley

#50 South Of Eastwood

These two are at the same stop less than 1/2 mile round trip

#59 Black Bear Trail

#60 The Bear Is Curvy

These three are at the same stop about 1.6 miles round trip

#62 E T's Last Ride

#63 Evil ©ammo 6

#64 Boo!

Thes five are at the same stop about 1.2 roiute trip

#69 Danville Stumped

#70 Pandora's Big 'Un

#71 Loopy Ridge

#72 Trail Crossing

#73 Sinusitis

These four are at the same stop about 1.7 round trip

#84 Elves Love Green

#85 Elves Dropping By

#86 High Hopes

#87 Curious George

These two are at the same stop about .6 round trip

#89 Cedars Bend

#90 ClarkPark

All of these are best guess estimates

I've been stationed at Fort Lewis for about 2 months now. I'm just getting here from TX. Looking for a team to cache with as this will be my first Cache Machine. Jennifer may be taking our 2 year old down to the shore with her folks and family, so I can start as early or late as possible. KITCHEN PASS! :grin: Please don't pick me last... :D

As of right now, ALL caches on the route are up and running.

MtnMutt and Combatnurse2003, If you come to the Meet and Greet on Friday evening, you may be able to 'hook up' with someone else who may have some cache machine experience. Also, alot of times at the start of the route, people will gather for a bit before they take off and you may find someone who will help you out.

Id like to hear if everyone wants to meet for a group photo at 630 on Saturday morning? :D:grin:;)

Beware those of you preparing for this by downloading one of the bookmark lists...

According to the Final Route, these caches are missing:

#60 - The Bear Is Curvy

#63 - Evil ( C )ammo 6

Maybe more. I stopped trusting the one I used at that point and just ran a two more PQs to fill in my GSAK database.

Beware those of you preparing for this by downloading one of the bookmark lists...

According to the Final Route, these caches are missing:

#60 - The Bear Is Curvy

#63 - Evil ( C )ammo 6

Maybe more. I stopped trusting the one I used at that point and just ran a two more PQs to fill in my GSAK database.

Better clarify that Allanon means missing from the bookmark, not that the containers are missing out in the field.

I've been referring to Berta, Nick, & Zoey's bookmark since he is the one who created the entire route. Evil ©ammo 6 is on there, but it looks like he overlooked including The Bear Is Curvy in his bookmark. Probably because it was just published.

#60 -The Bear Is Curvy is my cache.

It was temporarily disabled yesterday when I found that the log book had gone missing. I replaced the log book and it has been enabled as of last night.

# 63 - Evil ( C )ammo 6 shows as Active today. The logs for that cache show no inactivity. It was found on the 6th of October.

I do know that there are several people who have created bookmarks. I have one also, and I try to make sure that its accurate. As of yesterday it was and still is.

My bookmark list shows 98 caches. Yet my The Bear Is Curvy cache doesnt show when I bring up the list. I have noticed that at other times too. It almost seems like theres a lag time between when I add it and it shows up. I dont know if others are seeing that cache or not when they bring up the list.

I had a similar issue with my non cache machine bookmark earlier but they eventually showed up.

:huh: I wish we can attend this fun cache event but we most likely to be 2 hours north. I saw 3 of my caches in the route and Bert if you want to you can add a 4th (GC1GE73) Rock around the block. We will see if I can get the other half to say ok to going to this and not going to my brothers stables. But we will see.

Don't forget to stop by the COWWS Meet-n-Greet while you are out and about.

We'll have both banquet rooms from 11:00 - 1:00 so stop on in whenever you are in the area.

Team "It's the Water" or whatever name we run with this round will be bailing off the route at it's southern tip to hit the COWWSs event for lunch, then planning on jumping back onto the CM route whereever to continue till the dinner.

Going to be a fun day!

Does anyone have a PQ for this cache machine they can email to those of us who can't get one out of gc.com today. The PQ generator seems to be broken.

Thanks to Rusty Hingepin, I can sent it to you right now.

If anyone else needs it please email me and be sure theres a return address.

Edited by mudsneaker

Does anyone have a PQ for this cache machine they can email to those of us who can't get one out of gc.com today. The PQ generator seems to be broken.

Thanks to Rusty Hingepin, I can sent it to you right now.

If anyone else needs it please email me and be sure theres a return address.

You're a life saver! Email sent!