talking stick?

chuck3

Ive just recently started looking into geocaching. i figured its a good way to enjoy more of the outdoors than i already do. unfortunatly i dont have a gps quite yet, but soon enough ill be joining the ranks.

anyway, to the questions!

i understand what a talking stick is according to history, but what is its purpose in geocaching? why should I bring a talking stick if muggles are around? is it just basically a walking stick?

thanks for the help! i cant wait to start.

Ive just recently started looking into geocaching. i figured its a good way to enjoy more of the outdoors than i already do. unfortunatly i dont have a gps quite yet, but soon enough ill be joining the ranks.

i understand what a talking stick is according to history, but what is its purpose in geocaching? why should I bring a talking stick if muggles are around? is it just basically a walking stick?

Well with a talking stick you can carry on a conversation with the stick. When most muggles see and hear this they quickly leave the area, which makes it easier to find the cache without worrying about prying eyes.

On a more serious note, did you mean this?

Jim

I've never heard of a "talking stick" in reference to any aspect of geocaching. Someone may be pulling your leg, or you've completely misunderstood what was being discussed.

ive read in a couple of descriptions to bring a talking stick. quite possibly it could hvae been a typo.

and yes, the NA talking stick is what i was reffering to..... i think...

EDIT:

"I tried to think of clever things to say but decided that less is more. This is a place with year round access and that my dog likes to play in the water. Enjoy the area, have a picnic, go fishing or swimming in the summer. There is also a very nice trail all the way around the lake.

This is a log sheet only so bring a talking stick. "

here is what i was reffering to. i guess he means bring a pen/pencil.

can anybody tell that im new to this?

I sure dont think so!

Edited by chuck3

I think that maybe Talking Sticks should be required or optional in geocaching. Everyone could come up with their own version. It would be like Harry Dresden using a drum stick(books) or a Hockey stick (TV show) as a wand. Maybe carrying a drum stick would come in handy. Same motif as a towel. Who leaves home without thier towel?

Rather have a talking stick and not need it than need a talking stick and not have it.

I think that maybe Talking Sticks should be required or optional in geocaching. Everyone could come up with their own version. It would be like Harry Dresden using a drum stick(books) or a Hockey stick (TV show) as a wand. Maybe carrying a drum stick would come in handy. Same motif as a towel. Who leaves home without thier towel?

Rather have a talking stick and not need it than need a talking stick and not have it.

Maybe one of WorkerofWood's magical wands?? Guess you could talk to it as well

gald to see i could be of humorous help for all of you! thanks for the help, even if it was more pink and ponyish than helpful!

:ph34r:

werent making fun of you! I never heard of it either!

But i love those expressions! english can be so colorfull, much more then dutch.

should try understand that London cockney slang. DEAD FUNNY

its WEIRD! uses english words but i have NO clue what they are on about.

Wilson: Can't be too careful nowadays, y'know? Lot of tea leaves about, know what I mean?

Warehouse Foreman: Excuse me?

Wilson: "Tea leaves"... "thieves".

Wilson: Eddy... yeah, he's me new china.

Elaine: What?

Wilson: "China plate"... "mate".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney_rhyming_slang

although "talking stick" could be more for a cellphone then a pen.

gald to see i could be of humorous help for all of you! thanks for the help, even if it was more pink and ponyish than helpful!

:)

werent making fun of you! I never heard of it either!

But i love those expressions! english can be so colorfull, much more then dutch.

should try understand that London cockney slang. DEAD FUNNY

its WEIRD! uses english words but i have NO clue what they are on about.

Wilson: Can't be too careful nowadays, y'know? Lot of tea leaves about, know what I mean?

Warehouse Foreman: Excuse me?

Wilson: "Tea leaves"... "thieves".

Wilson: Eddy... yeah, he's me new china.

Elaine: What?

Wilson: "China plate"... "mate".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney_rhyming_slang

although "talking stick" could be more for a cellphone then a pen.

Oh, trust me! I know your not making fun of me, Im laughing just as much as you guys are!

have you ever posted a question were you figured out the answer to right after you click "submit"? well this is one of those cases.

Sounds to me like the CO had heard of the phrase "talking stick", and just made up his own definition - a pencil - missing the actual meaning - an object passed around that gives one the right to talk during a meeting. Sort of like being given "the floor" to speak in Congress.

Except I've seen the phrase "talking stick required" in more than one cache. It has always meant a pen/pencil in the cases I've seen. I know the original meaning is an actual stick that gave the person holding it the floor to speak. But I definitely think it's a term that's been co-opted by geocachers, like "muggle" and others, at least here in the southwest.

Team MamaLlama

Sounds to me like the CO had heard of the phrase "talking stick", and just made up his own definition - a pencil - missing the actual meaning - an object passed around that gives one the right to talk during a meeting. Sort of like being given "the floor" to speak in Congress.

Except I've seen the phrase "talking stick required" in more than one cache. It has always meant a pen/pencil in the cases I've seen. I know the original meaning is an actual stick that gave the person holding it the floor to speak. But I definitely think it's a term that's been co-opted by geocachers, like "muggle" and others, at least here in the southwest.

Team MamaLlama

Let's pray it doesn't catch on.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I know of your concept of talking stick and have used it with Scouts... and the PENCIL/PEN route is the most likely version in caching, I agree.

Another device, that I have been using is a TRACKING Stick... which is often a walking stick modified with movable markers for indicating stride and footprint lengths, sometimes widths or stagger... Aside from being something to prop me up, I have managed to locate one cache with it by tracking the last finder...

I'm not very good at tracking yet, mostly I just check to make sure I'm following a person, not a BEAR.

Good Luck..

Well with a talking stick you can carry on a conversation with the stick. When most muggles see and hear this they quickly leave the area, which makes it easier to find the cache without worrying about prying eyes.

On a more serious note, did you mean this?

Jim

I just spent a week on the pacific NW coast camping, and one of our stops was an indian museum.

One of the displays was a "Talking Stick". The description of the display said with was improper for the Chief to brag about his adventures to the tribe, so he would pass the Talking Stick to a tribe member would would tell of the great exploits of the Chief on his behalf.

http://www.treesofmystery.net/museum.htm

Uggg..... love this discussion, went far out to left field tho, didn't we. 

On 9/12/2008 at 9:30 PM, Ed & Julie said:

I just spent a week on the pacific NW coast camping, and one of our stops was an indian museum.

One of the displays was a "Talking Stick". The description of the display said with was improper for the Chief to brag about his adventures to the tribe, so he would pass the Talking Stick to a tribe member would would tell of the great exploits of the Chief on his behalf.

http://www.treesofmystery.net/museum.htm

Thanks for this info... and thanks for joining our little community, and always BYOP, or talking stick..