garmin complaints?

cb12374

are the gps units by Garmin truly that bad or are the complaints coming from people that just are not happy innless they are complaining? are they asking to much? I like to have all possible info on something before I buy it and as of right now I'm thing of getting the 60csx or the Colorado 400t so any info on them that is not on the Garmin site "pro or con" will be greatly apresheaded.

are the gps units by Garmin truly that bad or are the complaints coming from people that just are not happy innless they are complaining? are they asking to much? I like to have all possible info on something before I buy it and as of right now I'm thing of getting the 60csx or the Colorado 400t so any info on them that is not on the Garmin site "pro or con" will be greatly apresheaded.

We have a Garmin 76CSx and really like it. The reception is very good and it is easy to download to and use. I have heard very good things about the 60CSx but we had the opportunity to get the 76 on sale for the same price as the 60 from one of the Canadian Groundspeak authorized retailers so I went with the 76.

I personally don't know anyone who is using the Colorado but it really looks cool. I have only seen the eTrex and the 60 series other than ours and out of these the 60 & 76 seem to be very similar in performance.

IMHGLO. :sad:

Garmin generally makes great units. I rarely see complaints about them. Many geocachers feel that the 60CSX is the best hand held unit available today.

The Colorado seems to be Garmin's one mistake. I have seen a lot of complaints about that unit and from what I've read I wouldn't buy one.

If you want to see complaints read up on Magellan.

Moving to appropriate forum

I have only had experience with Magellan and Garmin. The Magellan I have used was an Explorist 210 and the two Garmin units are the Etrex and 60CX. The Garmins are much easier to use in my opinion. The Garmin 60cx (my latest unit) is very easy to use, I've had no problems whatsoever, and I like most of the geocaching capabilities. The one complaint I have with the 60CX is that when you tell it to locate nearest caches it doesn't update as you move unless you again tell it to find nearest caches. The Etrex, a much cheaper model automatically updated as you move closer and further from each cache. The Etrex does not have mapping capabilities though and caching in an unknown area is much easier with mapping.

All in all they each have positives and negatives but anyone complaining much about the Garmin units probably works for a competitor.

You will see far more positive things about the 60csx than many other GPS units. They are rock solid. I use mine for geocaching, hunting, and of course street level routing when I travel for work.

The 76csx and 60csx use the same 'guts' just a different form factor. Some like the button placement better on one or the other. 76 floats too whereas the 60 does not.

Now if you want a unit that does paperless geocaching, then maybe the Oregon is what you need.

But for an all around rock solid, high sensitivity GPS, you can't go wrong with a 60 or 76. I see more of those with geocachers than anything else.

Oh yeah - if you want to save a few bucks you can get the 60cx instead of the 60csx. Only difference is some of the built in sensors and electronic compass (which I never use on mine). Perfectly fine unit for caching and street routing.

You will see far more positive things about the 60csx than many other GPS units. They are rock solid. I use mine for geocaching, hunting, and of course street level routing when I travel for work.

The 76csx and 60csx use the same 'guts' just a different form factor. Some like the button placement better on one or the other. 76 floats too whereas the 60 does not.

Now if you want a unit that does paperless geocaching, then maybe the Oregon is what you need.

But for an all around rock solid, high sensitivity GPS, you can't go wrong with a 60 or 76. I see more of those with geocachers than anything else.

Oh yeah - if you want to save a few bucks you can get the 60cx instead of the 60csx. Only difference is some of the built in sensors and electronic compass (which I never use on mine). Perfectly fine unit for caching and street routing.

I think you see so many people complaining because we expect more than we get. I might be wrong, but the most accurate gps i have ever had in the past was a Garmin GPS V Deluxe, and when it got stolen from my car i replaced it with another Garmin! That one was stolen as well (gotta love L.A.) and I bought another Garmin (2820), which is a great GPS. I was unable to geocache with that one, and ended up buying a Garmin Quest II, which I just didn't like at all, and sold immediately, so i could buy another Garmin! This time i bought the Colorado 400t, and i have felt that it is really not all that accurate from day one. I plan on going to REI this week (now that the sale is over and the Colorado's are the same price as the Oregon's) and exchanging the Colorado for the Oregon, simply because I think there are less people complaining about the accuracy of the Oregon. I went out geocaching yesterday with the Colorado and 3 out of 3 i just plain gave up on because the Colorado had me either in the wrong spots (here, no over there, no wait...over there...no...back there...but there's nothing there....no...over there...ahh screw it!) and have had this happen more than once where i just feel it's making me not want to geocache as much just because of all the wandering around it does.

We all want different things in a GPS, so no one GPS will ever be perfect. However when you spend many hundreds of dollars on an electronic device whose main goal is to tell you where you are, and it cannot do that correctly, i think the complaints are warranted.

I purchased the Oregon 300 a few weeks ago from REI, the touch screen is awesome, but we are having trouble downloading caches from our MAC. Until this is solved the GPS doesn't do me much good as this is the main reason I purchased it.

If using for driving, the maps aren't very detailed for the roads. Only main roads show up - and it says something the to effect that maps aren't supported when asking to make a route. We will need to by the map upgrade I suppose. Also, I haven't figured out how to put in street numbers.

In addition, I haven't figured out a way to manually enter coordinates - this may occur once I can download successfully. I don't know.

Keep in mind I am new to this unit, so there is a bit of a learning curve.

I purchased the Oregon 300 a few weeks ago from REI, the touch screen is awesome, but we are having trouble downloading caches from our MAC. Until this is solved the GPS doesn't do me much good as this is the main reason I purchased it.

If using for driving, the maps aren't very detailed for the roads. Only main roads show up - and it says something the to effect that maps aren't supported when asking to make a route. We will need to by the map upgrade I suppose. Also, I haven't figured out how to put in street numbers.

In addition, I haven't figured out a way to manually enter coordinates - this may occur once I can download successfully. I don't know.

Keep in mind I am new to this unit, so there is a bit of a learning curve.

To edit coordinates...make a way point....then edit the waypoint...its a little odd but it works.

I have been buying Garmin since the mid to late 90s...all have been good reliable units. Garmin seems to be on top of things when bugs occur, Many may disagree with me. I have heard therewere troubles with the Colorado but it looks like Garmin is trying to fix them.

I just purchased a Oregon 400t and this is the easiest unit I have ever owned. I think most of the gripes come from people expecting a military grade unit in a consumer package.

I love the paperless GC feature and the touch screen speeds things along. Is it perfect of course not but I am happy so far.

are the gps units by Garmin truly that bad or are the complaints coming from people that just are not happy innless they are complaining? are they asking to much?...

Garmin tried a new product using a different forumula than their staples. They fell on their face with the product launch. Worse they did it by not doing what they were already good at doing.

If they are willing to learn, all that 'complaining' will do them a world of good. Their staple products are still all good.

Edited by Renegade Knight