Hiding a cache for amuzement

Woodstramp

I've read here before about cachers seeing other cachers (both hunting the same cache) and getting a kick out of messing with the other guy a little. In other words, they mess with the other guy by appearing to be a pain in the butt muggle. That is until they've had their fun and fess up.

The other day I saw a lady in her office while she was working. Big plate glass window and a good view of the street. She looked bored....insurance agent with no customers at the time. I got to thinking that if I had an office job like that I'd place a cache out where I could see other geocachers while they hunt, just for personal amusement. Any of you did this kind of cache? You could also make it an exercise in learning stealth techniques of others.

I've read here before about cachers seeing other cachers (both hunting the same cache) and getting a kick out of messing with the other guy a little. In other words, they mess with the other guy by appearing to be a pain in the butt muggle. That is until they've had their fun and fess up.

The other day I saw a lady in her office while she was working. Big plate glass window and a good view of the street. She looked bored....insurance agent with no customers at the time. I got to thinking that if I had an office job like that I'd place a cache out where I could see other geocachers while they hunt, just for personal amusement. Any of you did this kind of cache? You could also make it an exercise in learning stealth techniques of others.

Never have but I think it would be a fun thing to do.

We have one hidden on a walking bridge near a hospital. They recently remodeled, and now there is a multi-story wall of plate glass windows overlooking the cache. Apparently it provides the workers inside with a certain amount of entertainment watching cachers search.

We found one in a little park the other day where from the moment we exited the vehicle an elderly gentleman sitting on his porch across the street directed us to the cache, and carried on a running commentary about cachers, the park, and statue, etc. the entire time we were there. It's not his cache hide, but it sure does brighten his day!

As long as it's a decent place for a cache, and not just in some grubby alleyway that your window happens to overlook, why not? Once cachers get wind of the fact that they might be observed by people who are in the know, they will either hunt for it during business hours because they do not mind being watched, or they will come at off-times to avoid it.

There's a multi near me where one of the stages is the coordinates for the next stage sitting on a desk, visible through their office window.

That is AWESOME! What's the Cache # or name of that one? I'd love to check it out.

I'd love to hide one by my office but we're fenced in like the raptors in Jurassic Park so no one can get in there unless they're an employee. That would be great fun and give me something to stare at besides the parking lot. Looking for a new job though so hopefully the next one won't be like Ft Knox and I can actually do this.

Edited by Buggheart
There's a multi near me where one of the stages is the coordinates for the next stage sitting on a desk, visible through their office window.
That is AWESOME! What's the Cache # or name of that one? I'd love to check it out.

I'd love to hide one by my office but we're fenced in like the raptors in Jurassic Park so no one can get in there unless they're an employee. That would be great fun and give me something to stare at besides the parking lot. Looking for a new job though so hopefully the next one won't be like Ft Knox and I can actually do this.

And then you can get up (everybody's gonna move their feet) to watch them as they get down (everybody's gonna leave their seat) to finding the cache.

We found one in a little park the other day where from the moment we exited the vehicle an elderly gentleman sitting on his porch across the street directed us to the cache, and carried on a running commentary about cachers, the park, and statue, etc. the entire time we were there. It's not his cache hide, but it sure does brighten his day!

This sounds interesting. Maybe planting some caches near (or in) the grounds of a retirement home. With permission, that is. Maybe we could entertain some elderly folk who aren't that mobile anymore? You get near the cache and you hear: "Boy, you're getting warmer, warmer, no....colder.. That's it."

Thanks for the replies, BTW.

Wouldn't it be neat if the elderly residents of a retirement home hid and maintained a cache on the premises? It could be in the "front yard" so cachers didn't have to go past the most public area, but I bet the residents would enjoy reading the log book and maybe meeting cachers (especially cachers with children, or dogs if allowed). Anyone know a cacher who works at a nursing home?

I placed a micro cache near a parking lot across the street from my work place. It has been in place for just about a year and has 78 finds. I had intended to watch from my office to see the fun but of those 78, I would estimate that I have only seen about 15. Since it is a very muggle intense area, most people wait until after work or the weekends to tackle it , because the area is deserted then.

When someone does search for it during work hours, everyone in the office comes to attention and watches. We have seen a few different approaches to the cache. Some are cautious and move slowly, others sit in their cars until they have a good idea where it is and then walk right up and grab it.

All in all it has worked out quite well and certainly has livened up the my officemates.

And then you can get up (everybody's gonna move their feet) to watch them as they get down (everybody's gonna leave their seat) to finding the cache.

Now you're giving me ideas....

My office is on the second floor and overlooks a small courtyard. I'd thought about placing the coordinates for the next stage in a multi cache in my window but there is a spot where I could place one low to the ground on the other side of the courtyard from my office. I could also place a web cam in my window facing the cache and call it something like "Full Moon".

My son and I found that one a couple months ago. It was really cool. We did it on a weekend so there wasn't anyone working.

I also know of another one a bit north of us. That cacher also frequents these forums so I'll wait and see if she is going to tell her stories. I haven't found that one yet, but I plan to during the week so I may get a chance to meet her.

This sounds interesting. Maybe planting some caches near (or in) the grounds of a retirement home. With permission, that is. Maybe we could entertain some elderly folk who aren't that mobile anymore? You get near the cache and you hear: "Boy, you're getting warmer, warmer, no....colder.. That's it."

I found one like the quoted one. A guy always takes his lunch break on a bench outside his building, which happens to overlook a well-disguised cache. The guy complimented me, saying I'd found it faster than most... but he didn't know that I'd already spent about 15-minutes around the corner of the building because my cheap beginner receiver was having major problems with the tall buildings.

The "warmer", "colder" bit gave me an idea... plant speakers in the bushes outside my office and talk to the cache hunters from the 3rd floor.

:rolleyes:

Gotta lose your mind in Detroit, Rock City! LOL <_<

Wouldn't it be neat if the elderly residents of a retirement home hid and maintained a cache on the premises? It could be in the "front yard" so cachers didn't have to go past the most public area, but I bet the residents would enjoy reading the log book and maybe meeting cachers (especially cachers with children, or dogs if allowed). Anyone know a cacher who works at a nursing home?

What a great idea! My parent's live in a historical village where the house across the street and the one next door are two stages of a large multi and I can just picture my dad sitting and a-rocking (Now that he knows what geocaching is all about) and offering to help the cachers.

Now that I think about it, I've done several of these. I did one that was under the picnic table where the hider takes breaks. I did one last weekend that was across the street from the hider's place of work so they could watch cachers try to find it. I have done several front yard/back yard caches where it is at the hider's house or the house of a family member. I recently went looking for one and there was a guy mowing his lawn. When he saw us, he immediately parked the mower behind a shed and headed to the house so we could go about our business.

Done it, but the main prob is that most caching done here is in the weekend, though I did spring one cacher :laughing:

We have found a cache like this in Spearfish, SD, right in front of a retirement home. The description used to tell you where you would be going and what to expect, but it was still a little strange pulling up there the first time with the residents watching us. We pulled up, tried to be stealthy as we searched, then oh so carefully grabbed the container (a 50 cal ammo can), about that time out comes this great older gentleman to talk to us, ask about where we were from, where we had been caching that day (it was early evening when we arrived). He told us how much the residents there enjoyed the cachers coming by and getting to meet them and 'shoot the breeze' for a while. That was over two years ago and we have stopped there on several other occasions on our way to the Black Hills or to Deadwood to drop TBs and coins just because we enjoyed our original visit so much. Usually there will be a 'welcoming committee' of at least one or two residents to greet you! :laughing:

I can't seem to find the previous thread (perhaps someone else will). They discussed a very public cache, where cachers had to find the cache without being spotted by the property owner. Cachers resorted to elaborate disguises to mask their activity.

I don't normally care for "High Visibility" caches, but that one sounded fun.

I found one of those kids of caches. There was this goofy Jeep wannabe rig there so I made fun of it, and the mandatory trade item (a button). The owner emailed me. Turns out he also owned the rig. Apparently making fun of his rig broke the ice. We discussed a few things via email and I ended up giving him a 5 gallon bucket (by leaving it on his rig) for a cache he was planning. We met on the trail a few months later. He was trying to bury a cache about 20' from where one was hidden.

We placed 2 puzzle caches one is NIMBY #1 (not in my backyard)

it is just a few meters from a cachers home,

The aim was to get as close to the cachers home without getting spotted.

I might do some more..

It was hard to get it placed but the results were great.

A rookie cacher team got the FTF,,which was the idea of the cache,

Now the nearby cacher watches from his window as cachers try to find the container.

We used to have one like that around here. But it wasn't maintained and got archived.

We did a cache in Basel Switzerland, and the cache was on the ferry. The only way to get the cache was to ask the owner/operator for the cache. I found it rather strange to ask for, and receive a cache box while sitting with a bunch of muggles, crossing the Rhine river. Of course I needed to get it logged before the boat crossed the river.

Fun, and I got a TB and left a TB out of the cache.

We did a cache in Basel Switzerland, and the cache was on the ferry. The only way to get the cache was to ask the owner/operator for the cache. I found it rather strange to ask for, and receive a cache box while sitting with a bunch of muggles, crossing the Rhine river. Of course I needed to get it logged before the boat crossed the river.

Fun, and I got a TB and left a TB out of the cache.

Polly's Potpourri

http://coord.info/GC1788G

Edited by Great Scott!

A couple months back we found a cache where you had to enter through a bar because it was hidden in the outside patio area which was fenced in. So, of course when we walked through the bar which was in the day time we were welcomed by all the regulars. At first, we felt a bit uncomfortable, but in the end it turned out to be a cache we'll never forget. Everyone was really friendly and got a kick out of us being there just for the cache.

I put out my first cache a week after I started caching. I wanted it to be close for several reasons. To meet other cachers, to observe them in the hunt and probably mostly to get comfortable snooping around for a cache. It is about 50 feet from my residence in a narrow band of woods between me and a Senior Center. I named it Senior Cache. With 29 finds I have noticed 3 groups and 3 single cachers during their hunt. I would have thought I would have noticed more but, when I am at home my back is to the window when I'm at my computer or watching TV so I have missed many. It is fun when I spot cachers and get to visit for a while. I would recommend placing a cache where you can observe it. I have enjoyed it thus far.