So excited!

Followers 0

My family just started geocaching at the end of this summer. I was so inspired by it that I asked my principal what she thought about me taking my fifth graders geocaching as a geography activity. She loved the idea and promptly ordered my classroom 4 Garmin eTrex Ventures. We are hoping parents will pitch in to donate a few more.

I am just thrilled and can't wait to get these kidletts out into nature. I'm hoping to hide a cache together as well. :sad:

Just a note of caution. Please don't take the kids to "real" caches. Place temporary caches for them to find, and if they wish to get further into the hobby, then, their parents can help them out.

From experience near to home, a local cache was used as a "demo" for a non-geocaching youth group, and later that week, it was muggled. It was a multi, and only the final cache was taken and destroyed... After the cache was replaced months later in a slightly different spot, the same leader took another group out again. The cache owner monitored the cache the day after, and guess what? She came across "suspect" teenagers and a cache suddenly empty of swag (that was full the day before) and to make a long story short, got the license plate number off their car and proved they came from the group. The leader was notified and will setup "temp" caches from now on.

Its better to be on the side of caution then to risk someone elses cache.

Just my 2 cents.

Followers 0