Cache repair!

Cherokee Bill

:sad: How many caches have you found, that needed repair, clean-up, etc? Out of my first 38-finds, I'd say 10-15% need repair. :sad: According to cache-logs, the owners have been told for months, with no action>>

Do any of you folks carry "repair-kits" to repair the caches of others?

Also, according to logs, we have a young girl in our area picking up Trackable-Coins and KEEPING them. Folks have e-mailed her with no response. Where are the Geocache Police when you need them :D

:sad: How many caches have you found, that needed repair, clean-up, etc? Out of my first 38-finds, I'd say 10-15% need repair. :sad: According to cache-logs, the owners have been told for months, with no action>>

Also, according to logs, we have a young girl in our area picking up Trackable-Coins and KEEPING them. Folks have e-mailed her with no response. Where are the Geocache Police when you need them :D

We carry items in our geo-bag to repair caches and do so on a regular basis. We've even replaced stages to multis before to keep them going when the CO has not responded to e-mails and when the local caching community is fairly certain the stage is missing and not just well hidden. If its a minor repair we'll just write it up in the log. If its major we'll e-mail the CO and let them know we've either repaired it or are planning to on our way to the cache. We've never had a problem with a CO being mad at us for making repairs.

As far as the coin thief is concerned, that blows but its a bag-o-worms that I'm sure others will want to comment on, but its part of the hobby you just have to unfortunately deal with. Hawaii has a huge problem with a coin thief so every time (when I was out there) I found a cache with a coin, I would update its status or pick it up to move it along.

-galaP-

We have a mixed feeling about this subject.

If a cache owner has been missing for more then a year, then there isn't much need under the new policy to repair it. Put in a SBA and move on.

However if its known that the CO is just ill or taking a bit off, then fix it if you can.

We don't mind fixing logs and or pill bottles and whatever.

I hate hitting the SBA and have only done this a couple times, and in both cases, the CO has been gone for over a year and many DNF's had been logged.

Generally I find other cachers that I know who have found it, talk with them and even ask if they will revisit to confirm.

Situation #2 had a cache that had been replaced not once, but twice in total to this point. CO had been gone almost 2 years and only hid one cache and found something like 20.

I ended up contacting the second replacer and we talked it over and came to the conclusion it was MIA. I never got to log the find. Oh well...

It is what it is. Use your head in each case.

We keep, in no particular order, duct tape, log books of varying sizes, IKEA (the unofficial Sponsor of Geocaching) pencils, a pencil sharpener, inexpensive but nice swag, and various sizes of zip log bags in our caching bag.

If we come across a cache in need of repair, we do it if possible, using the duct tape and ziplocs as needed.

If the log book is a disgusting, wet mess, we replace it, take the yucky one home to dry it out, and contact the owner to see if he wants it back.

If we come across a cache full of geotrash, we replace it with kid friendly, inexpensive swag.

We also carry a supply of film cannister caches with us to replace caches we see have been muggled via logs that might be on our route in order to keep them going until the owner has had a chance to get up to replace them.

We always notify the owner of what we do and we have never once received a less than happy, enthusiastic thanks from them and from other cachers who have subsequently hit the caches we've performed maintenance on.

I think that Geocaching is a "family" sport, and I don't mean mom, pop, brothers and sister, I mean that I think of us as a big family, and this is just part of taking care of each other! It doesn't cost much to do a repair, it helps other cachers and owners, and in the end, you feel pretty decent when you get an email from someone thanking you for fixing something so that they could experience the cache or area afterwards.

Win win situation :sad:

Naomi

I'll make minor repairs if I know the owner is active. Things like adding a new Ziploc, pencil or duct taping a cracked container.

If the cache appears to be abandoned by the owner, sometimes it's best to put it out of its misery, so I'll issue an SBA and hopefully open up the area for someone who will take care of his cache.

If I have repair materials on me, I'll repair a cache and have had to do it.

I'm pretty jaded with hitchhikers. Every hitchhiker I've ever had a part of, from created TBs to adopted ones (Jeeps and Diabetes) have been removed from the game. For the red Jeep, someone stole the Jeep and left the tag. New cachers picked up the diabetes and promised to move it along... two years later (!!!) they haven't bothered to answer messages or fuss with what they picked up. It just amazes me what junk people will pocket simply because it was attached to a TB tag.

So, don't put a hitchhiker in a cache unless you're saying, "I never want to see or hear from this again."

Blessed are the cachers who post status updates on hitchhikers.

- Elle

Edited by HauntHunters

The amount of effort I'll put into cache repair depends on the cache. For remote backcountry caches, I've gone as far as replacing the container with an ammo can (usually with the owner's permission). I've also adopted and refurbished quite a few, primarily on mountaintops.

Lesser caches, I'll do simple repairs (drying them out, repackaging or replacing the logbook, repairing the container). For neglected, poorly thought-out and unmaintained caches in undistinguished locations, I say let 'em sink. Archive.

Lately, I've run into several relatively new caches in great locations with lousy containers, mostly placed by the same couple of cachers. These folks seem to be counting on others to upgrade their caches. I'm feeling a little used on this account. If they fall into disrepair and get archived it'll free up some great spots...

Ditto HH on hitchhikers. It's a shame.

We keep, in no particular order, duct tape, log books of varying sizes, IKEA (the unofficial Sponsor of Geocaching) pencils, a pencil sharpener, inexpensive but nice swag, and various sizes of zip log bags in our caching bag.

If we come across a cache in need of repair, we do it if possible, using the duct tape and ziplocs as needed.

If the log book is a disgusting, wet mess, we replace it, take the yucky one home to dry it out, and contact the owner to see if he wants it back.

If we come across a cache full of geotrash, we replace it with kid friendly, inexpensive swag.

We also carry a supply of film cannister caches with us to replace caches we see have been muggled via logs that might be on our route in order to keep them going until the owner has had a chance to get up to replace them.

We always notify the owner of what we do and we have never once received a less than happy, enthusiastic thanks from them and from other cachers who have subsequently hit the caches we've performed maintenance on.

I think that Geocaching is a "family" sport, and I don't mean mom, pop, brothers and sister, I mean that I think of us as a big family, and this is just part of taking care of each other! It doesn't cost much to do a repair, it helps other cachers and owners, and in the end, you feel pretty decent when you get an email from someone thanking you for fixing something so that they could experience the cache or area afterwards.

Win win situation :rolleyes:

Naomi

<_< You are a true "Family Member"of the sport. If all felt as you do, the sport would so much the better. God Bless you>

Yes, I carry extra logs in my billfold to replace wet and full logs. Sometimes I will even replace the container if needed...It is the right thing to do. I appreciate it when my cache logs are repaired and at today's gas prices any time I don't have to make an owners maintenance run it is well appreciated....Cache container maintenance is one of the requirements for placing cache containers...I want a geocacher on the hunt to find my placed caches in top condition...It makes for a fun caching experience. Happy Trails

I usually carry the usually goodies with me to help a cache in need of maintance if I find it. Personally I'm not a big fan of replacing the container cause how do I really know it's gone. But if I see a torn ziplock I'll swap that out for some one. If the log book is getting full but still has some left to go, I'll usually make a note of that in my log just to give the cache owner a heads up. I've added a log book or two as well when I have one with me if I see one that is full. I don't take the old sheet though unless I know I can get it to the cacher.

If I come across a leaky container I'll try and clean it up as best as I can but do let the owner know the container is leaking and if I know why I tell them , like the lid wasn't closed or the decon strap was snapped in the lid when last closed or if there is a crack or something.

I find most cache owner's really appreaciate it when you take a little bit of time to help clean and make sure there cache is in good shape.

We carry some repair stuff, log sheets and such. I've replaced the occasional 35mm container or similar, but I don't think I'd replace a larger lock n lock or anything like that. Simple fixes are appreciated by cache owners - and I appreciate it if somebody replaces a full log or whatever, but I certainly wouldn't expect somebody to refurbish an entire cache for me, nor would I presume to do the same.

The few times that we've done a bit more than add a new log sheet or whatnot, we usually get a hearty thanks from the cache owner, whom we've saved a trip for some simple fix-ups.

I've picked up geo-litter from archived caches for other locals. One cache not too far from me, the last finder noted that the container lid was broken, contents a mess - they did nothing to help repair it or anything but noted it in the log. The CO lives a fair distance from here, she archived the cache (which was on my watch list because it's one that interested me) so when I saw she did that, I contacted her and offered to pick up the remains, which she appreciated.

I think it's good caching etiquette to leave things better than you found them - if that means cleaning out some geo-trash out of a cache and putting in a piece or two of decent swag, putting in a new log, repairing a container, we should all do our little part, within common sense limits.

It kind of makes me crazy that somebody would take the time to hunt a cache, log that it's in deplorable condition, and not do at least a little something like empty the water out of it, give it a tidy-up, or stick it in a baggie, to try and at least keep it somewhat viable until the owner can maintain it... yet I see logs like that all the time.

As for travelers... don't get me started. I had one turn up today only missing for a month... but I have one that's disappeared for over a year with no sign of returning - new cacher picked it up, logged it and then never bothered to move it. I have another that vanished out of the last cache it was logged into ... ironically it was my daughter's "odd sock" travel bug. I guess the dryer monster found the cache and sucked the sock into the void! And I have another one that may be MIA in Washington State... it logged into a fairly busy cache a few months ago and hasn't been logged, moved or discovered since, so it may not even be there anymore.

I hate when stuff goes missing ;)

Jenn

Note the trunk of my CacheMobile:

07-26-08_1510.jpg

The item in the forground plays a part of a cache I recently adopted. The trunk in the background shows a large storage tub that holds everything from individual log sheets of every size, ziplock baggies, every cache size and shape from nanos to small ammo boxes, swag, my trusty backpack and everything it takes to repair, clean or just plain create a cache at will. Hey ya never know when you are going to need one...

I always try to dry out a wet cache. It could be something as the top not being put on correctly by the last cacher, wipe it out and put it back. When it comes to repairs duct tape will fix many a problem till the owner can come out and replace it themselves. If it is something like a 35mm I will replace it without a second thought. I try to adopt caches where the owner has lost interest, moved or no longer can do maint. Many cases unfortunately they do not respond when an attempt to contact is made. I really think there should be a way of archiving a cache if the owner cannot be contacted over an extended period of time. Even with a year passing, no contact of the owner and the cache is gone or completely destroyed it should be archived.

I'm not obsessed.... right?

-HHH :laughing:

Edited by Headhardhat

Well I was wondering about the ethics of replacing a cache but what you all have said pretty much assured me what I did was OK. A cache was listed a being destroyed by an animal in a great location very close to my home. A number of caches by this owner have gone unmaintained. I e-mailed him/her asking if I could help in maintenance and received no responce. Well today I decided to go find the cache after preparing a replacement with swag and a new log and pen. I found it out in the open chewed and looking like trash. I replaced it then e-mailed the owner to let them know a replacement was done.

Well I was wondering about the ethics of replacing a cache but what you all have said pretty much assured me what I did was OK. A cache was listed a being destroyed by an animal in a great location very close to my home. A number of caches by this owner have gone unmaintained. I e-mailed him/her asking if I could help in maintenance and received no responce. Well today I decided to go find the cache after preparing a replacement with swag and a new log and pen. I found it out in the open chewed and looking like trash. I replaced it then e-mailed the owner to let them know a replacement was done.

It was probably best off archived. Obviously the owner is no longer interested in maintaining the cache. Then you could have placed your own at the location.

Edit: After seeing the other caches from this owner it absolutely should have been archived. The guy does not maintain his caches.

Edited by briansnat

I try to carry extra baggies, little notepads, small lock n' locks, and other repair items with me, and even when I forget those items I frequently try to dry out damp caches and logs. The only time I won't try to fix up a wet cache is if it's raining when I find it, and trying to fix it will only make it worse.

If I know in advance that I'll be visiting a cache that has been reported to be in bad shape, I will often go prepared to fix or replace it. A lot of people in the Ottawa caching community take care of each other's caches. In the case of caches where the owner doesn't seem to be around anymore, it's common for other cachers in the area to formally or informally adopt them. There are even a bunch of old caches that our local club has adopted as a group, and we all keep an eye on them.

I try to carry extra baggies, little notepads, small lock n' locks, and other repair items with me, and even when I forget those items I frequently try to dry out damp caches and logs. The only time I won't try to fix up a wet cache is if it's raining when I find it, and trying to fix it will only make it worse.

If I know in advance that I'll be visiting a cache that has been reported to be in bad shape, I will often go prepared to fix or replace it. A lot of people in the Ottawa caching community take care of each other's caches. In the case of caches where the owner doesn't seem to be around anymore, it's common for other cachers in the area to formally or informally adopt them. There are even a bunch of old caches that our local club has adopted as a group, and we all keep an eye on them.

Very cool. I wish more cachers would do the same. I try to do this also.

Another question though about replacing logs? I found a nano the other day with a full log. Would it have been appropriate for me to remove the full logsheet and replace it, then email the cache owner and offer to send him the full log? or just leave it be and post a note telling him the log is full as I did?

We (I, actually) crunched one the other day. It was buried deep in the snow, 35 ft. from GZ and consisted of a really cheap plastic container. One tap with the size 12 broke it wide open in the below zero f. weather.

Luckily, we had just purchased a decent stash of Lock-n-Locks and hadn't yet taken them out of the truck! I sure do hope that CO appreciated the upgrade! :ph34r:

EDIT: 703 miles from home, to boot!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If you place a cache, you are responsible to maintain it.

Once you stop maintaining the cache, when it needs maintenance, it should be archived.

Cachers who graciously help maintain caches are only delaying the inevitable, that the cache will eventually be archived.

If you help out an active cacher by helping them maintain their cache, cool. If you are maintaining it because the owner won't, then the cache should be archived so someone, who will maintain their caches can place a new one.

Very cool. I wish more cachers would do the same. I try to do this also.

Another question though about replacing logs? I found a nano the other day with a full log. Would it have been appropriate for me to remove the full logsheet and replace it, then email the cache owner and offer to send him the full log? or just leave it be and post a note telling him the log is full as I did?

I own one cache that is sometimes a nano (it depends on the season) and I do appreciate it when someone puts a new log in for me - I think any reasonable cache owner would appreciate that. But mentioning it in your log is fine too.

Posting a "Needs Maintenance" over a full logbook is kind of infuriating, unless it's been a long time and it's been mentioned several times in previous logs.

Once you stop maintaining the cache, when it needs maintenance, it should be archived.

Cachers who graciously help maintain caches are only delaying the inevitable, that the cache will eventually be archived.

If you help out an active cacher by helping them maintain their cache, cool. If you are maintaining it because the owner won't, then the cache should be archived so someone, who will maintain their caches can place a new one.

We grapple with this a lot in Ottawa, because the area is pretty saturated with caches, and there are some older cachers who have vanished from the scene. There are some caches in our area that have taken on a bit of a life of their own because they're very old, very challenging, and much loved by many cachers. It's hard to let go of caches like that, even if, in the long run, it's the right thing to do.

It really depends on the cache. I try to fix worthwhile and older caches, but some are just not worth it and a bad idea from the start. In the past every cache seemed worthwhile to be fixed as they were fairly unique. When the community feels a need to take care of the caches they tend to last longer. Nowadays many really are not unique and should be put to rest. The owner has the ultimate responsibility, but also can get disgusted when the community doest really care either, and doesnt uphold their responsibility to rehide well, trade fair, or even put the lid on properly. :ph34r:

I do, however I will not waste my time or resources attempting to breathe life into what I consider to be a crappy cache. Yes, this is entirely subjective. I'm OK with that. A quality hide, (again, entirely subjective), is worth preserving. A hide-a-key in a drain spout of a Burger King that, (surprise!), has a wet log, will get no CPR from me. I refuse to be a crappy cache enabler. :huh:

A couple of caches I found yesterday were in really cool locations and it was obvious they were being found on a regular basis, but both needed repair badly. COs were not on-line since last fall. Both already had NM logs.

If I had the necessary stuff to repair the one that needed a fix, I would have. The other container was totally inappropriate for the location and was badly damaged. I didn't have an extra cache container to throw down in its place on me. I also admit that I would have felt a little twinge of guilt had I done so, because it is not my cache to replace. I feel it is too early to post a NA log. Thus, I was conflicted.

I just don't think it is always so black and white. If it had been closer to a year that the COs had been MIA, I probably would have posted a NA log. To me, it is a judgment call. I realize that others will have differing opinions. :huh:

One downside to informally adopting a cache is you would never know if people were trying to relay info by emailing the cache owner.

I don't have a ton of repair stuff but carry extra pens, lots of ziplocs, cable ties, and trash bags (for geo trash and dirty napkins/tissues after cleaning out a muddy cache. If a cache is so full of awful/broken/muddy stuff that it is practically empty or very pitiful looking after a cleaning out, I'll add some swag.

I do, however I will not waste my time or resources attempting to breathe life into what I consider to be a crappy cache. Yes, this is entirely subjective. I'm OK with that. A quality hide, (again, entirely subjective), is worth preserving. A hide-a-key in a drain spout of a Burger King that, (surprise!), has a wet log, will get no CPR from me. I refuse to be a crappy cache enabler. :lol:

heh, glad to see I'm not alone.

There was once a magnetic keyholder stuck on a gate post near a flood ditch. There's nothing special about this place, and nothing special about the cache description. The magnet had fallen out of the keyholder, so the cache was buried under rocks at the base of the gate post. Cache got muggled; I went to check on it and found an ideal way to hide the cache with the exact same coordinates that would be invisible to muggles. When the keyholder got archived, I thought long and hard about placing a new one.....was the spot THAT AWESOME to go to the trouble of planting a new cache there? No, it wasn't. And I prefer to put caches in awesome spots instead of 'in the smoking corner of the dumpster behind the business' (that was an icky cache). I also won't go to caches that are clearly noted "a guy lives in the bushes here and uses this place for his bathroom"".

I make a note of the last few finds/DNFs on caches I attempt, and if there is a long time, multiple posts for need maintenance and the cache really needs it (like a cracked lid) I just pull the cache. With "needs maintenance" postings and multiple months from the last find it is obvious it isn't going to get fixed, so I pull it. I try my best to recycle the cache contents and save the wet log book.

At the moment money is extremely tight so I don't always have stuff with me. About 40-50% of the caches I've found recently needed some sort of attention but weren't getting it. Mine own caches have been frequent issues although I do maintain my caches. Around these parts it is becoming a chronic problem.

What I've recently learned from my own experiences caching and with my caches is that a quality container is needed. The Glad/rubbermaid repurposed lunch meat containers are not good enough, they fail within months of placement, especially in winter conditions and temperatures. LockNlock seem to fair much better and ammo cans are best....although they are apparently now prohibited in our parks (where 90% of non-micro/nano caches are).

I do know there are some really nice cachers around though because on multiple occasions I've gone to refresh my caches and found a new log book already in the cache. I think in one cache I have never actually replaced the log book myself. Of course others have sat, no attention, no help, and I was not able to get to them. I had to archive a few for this reason.

It is mixed, and I'm always appreciative of those that help, and try to help when I can.

I've never seen a post that I agree with more. Well actually I have, but those are the ones I write.

I carry new waterproof baggies for logs, and some various tapes and things that can sometimes do the trick. I realize that not everyone who participates in this activity can get to their cache right away, and I would rather think that if everyone helps a bit, everyones' jobs will be easier, and more caches will be around for me to hunt.

I've never seen a post that I agree with more. Well actually I have, but those are the ones I write.

Heh heh. You have fallen into my trap.

As I always say. Everyone comes around to my way of thinking, eventually.

;)

What would be the opinion of those on this cache:

The Old Farm

I did removed the cache (container and log was all that was left). I did put a maintenance post but haven't yet asked for archiving. I figured since I did just find it I shouldn't request for archiving, to give the cache owner a chance to revamp, even though the logs clearly stated the problem and it was months between my find and the last finder before me.

What would be the opinion of those on this cache:

The Old Farm

I did removed the cache (container and log was all that was left). I did put a maintenance post but haven't yet asked for archiving. I figured since I did just find it I shouldn't request for archiving, to give the cache owner a chance to revamp, even though the logs clearly stated the problem and it was months between my find and the last finder before me.

The cache owner seems active. At least he's logged onto the site recently but he hasn't responded to to 6 months of complaints about the container. I'd offer him the old container, but if you don't hear back from him in a month or so then a NA would be appropriate.

If you are maintaining it because the owner won't, then the cache should be archived

For the most part, I agree with this sentiment. For me, there are a few exceptions, but they are pretty rare. If a cache holds a special place in my heart, I'll do what I can to keep it alive, even if the owner no longer plays. One example that comes to mind is a cache by a friend who died. His passing was unexpected, and those who would like to adopt them are prevented from doing so by Groundspeak policy. (not that I blame Groundspeak) Delaying the inevitable? Probably. But I can live with that. ;)

I have a repair kit that I always carry with me. I usually have extra bisons, matchstick containers, baggies, pencils, zip ties, notebooks.

I have had about a 90% of cachers being thankfull for helping their cache out. I have replaced a few caches that have gone missing that I had found previously but now get DNF's. I replaced the container and the owner logged that THEY did maint and is good to go. :P

Still a newbee, but saw a great location that was muggled and not replaced. So I made the offer to adopt the location and place one of my own. This will keep that great location in play.

You don't really adopt a location. You adopt a cache. If there is no cache there, then there is nothing to adopt. In that case the missing cache should be archived, then you are free to place your own there.

I usually carry the usually goodies with me to help a cache in need of maintance if I find it. Personally I'm not a big fan of replacing the container cause how do I really know it's gone. But if I see a torn ziplock I'll swap that out for some one. If the log book is getting full but still has some left to go, I'll usually make a note of that in my log just to give the cache owner a heads up. I've added a log book or two as well when I have one with me if I see one that is full. I don't take the old sheet though unless I know I can get it to the cacher.

If I come across a leaky container I'll try and clean it up as best as I can but do let the owner know the container is leaking and if I know why I tell them , like the lid wasn't closed or the decon strap was snapped in the lid when last closed or if there is a crack or something.

I find most cache owner's really appreaciate it when you take a little bit of time to help clean and make sure there cache is in good shape.

Just for conversation sake, I think the poster you're responding to meant replacing a damaged container, not replacing a missing container. I've learned that "replacing" missing containers is actually considered a faux pas.

I remember going after a cache because two finders had said that the ammo can had been stolen, but the big ziploc with all the logs and swag was still there. We brought a replacement container and the CO was very happy.

I do have a cache repair kit in the cache bag - the missus laughed at me for spending 20 bucks for the pre-assembled one, but it's been worth every penny :P

Just for conversation sake, I think the poster you're responding to meant replacing a damaged container, not replacing a missing container. I've learned that "replacing" missing containers is actually considered a faux pas.

Not always.

I was thanked for replacing a missing cache container. Funny thing is I was there on a FTF attempt, found no cache, placed my own there and the CO thanked me.

It seems he forgot the cache he placed there a few months earlier was given to someone else and when he published the cache, there was no cache there.