Is your area cached out?

Noddy

Yep, know how you feel...... :blink:

Nearest 28kms, next 63kms, next 64kms (in Swaziland).

But we're not whining - we've actually got 11 to find within 80kms, which is much better than none!!

For several months last year, we had zilch - then the system says "Sorry, there are no records in this view" when you ask for unfound caches from home co-ords. :blink:

However, with current fuel prices, a little way seems like a long way now... :blink:

Our home town is Ermelo. The nearest accessible cache at is at 86.4 km. But it is not worth doing as there is only one available. There is a multitude of other caches in all directions not worth doing unless you are passing by on your way to somewhere.

Therefore the nearest cluster of caches is at 142.4 km. We will normally start to hunt for caches if there is a minimum of about 6 caches in close proximity unless it is a FTF or a special cache.

The best area with the correct options starts at 180 km with other words we have to do caches in Gauteng (220 km) or we have to the caches in Nelspruit (212km) or we have to move more south to Ladysmith area (682 km) or we have to move to Swaziland.

When we started doing geocaching it was easy and a lot of caches were available. The challenge to find them is now with a two way approach.

• If we are somewhere for business we will hunt them in that area – this is our top up approach.

• Our second strategy is to select one weekend of a month for caching. We will leave on Friday night. On Saturday morning we will start our hunt and we will only complete it when the sun is gone. Same applies for Sunday. We will normally try to select an area which is unknown or a challenge to us. This weekend trip is normally more than 600 km. We will only select an area where there are good quality caches and the owner is showing responsibility for his caches. If a particular area is showing a high amount of DNF we will bypass this area. Normally we select a target of 30 to 15 caches for this weekend.

Our favorite areas are the following. This is good locations with good caches and a lot of challenges. I personally prefer the ones in the open and away from the concrete jungle.

• Sabie at 272 km.

• Tzaneen at 446 km.

• Drakensberge at 306 km.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

ah, some people caught on and some missed the boat. We are talking about caches that we still have to do? Obviously if you have caches that are close to you, you are very lucky - go find them quick.

For some of us they are a little further away.

Edited by Noddy

We have about 38 to do in the entire Western Cape.

Fortunately over the weekend 2 new caches were placed faily near to us (30km's +) but in totally different directions, otherwise the next nearest is in Hermanus and then basically everything else is on top of mountains in the Cedarberg or George! Those of course mean having to spend long weekends in those areas and only managing one or two caches while we are in the area. There also aren't that many long weekends !! :blink:

My nearest not yet found is about 8km from home. But for that you have to get your feet wet so I'll do that in he summer.

I'm fairly new in this game and have only 84 found and I'm lucky for living in White River. When I started out there were 284 caches in a 100km radius, but this reduced to just over 200 after finding a few aswell as Fish Eagle's maintanance.

In other words, I still have a lot of caching to do in my own backyard before I could start to complaining.

But there's no rush. I enjoy every cache on my time.

There are so many places in Oudtshoorn to plant caches. There is Rust and Vrede, many dams, ostrich farms, 4x4 roads between George and Oudsthoorn, CJ van Langenhoven’s house, Crocodile farm, Adventura, Meiringspoort, Swartberg and walking trials, Swartberg 4x4 routes, Ox wagon trials on the way to Mosselbay, military training ground (Leopard) where the last “vuurdoop” has taken place, Zebra crossing 4x4 trials, winery farms on the way to Calitzdorp, the old walking bridge in Outshoorn, route 66, etc.

The problem is that only a few cachers are active in this area. If I should list all the possibilities near George, Mosselbay and Outshoorn it would probably take me a day.

I would like my brother to comment. He is at present in Groblershoop. There is nothing – nearest place that is worth going to in probably Bloemfontein/Kimberley.

Not much we can change – except to plan well and to hit more than one in a go or else the fuel price will kill you.

Gerhard

My nearest not yet found is about 8km from home. But for that you have to get your feet wet so I'll do that in he summer.

I'm fairly new in this game and have only 84 found and I'm lucky for living in White River. When I started out there were 284 caches in a 100km radius, but this reduced to just over 200 after finding a few aswell as Fish Eagle's maintanance.

In other words, I still have a lot of caching to do in my own backyard before I could start to complaining.

Ha-ha, the "wet feet" cache...... :blink:

But, there's more that you don't know about it yet......

I'm the "official maintainer", and I haven't been back there since we found it over 2 years ago - sies!! :D

I've got a long-outstanding request to rescue the traveller in it, and I've been dragging my heels - sorry, my Cape friends, but maybe this is the prod I needed...!!!

Bouts, ya wanna do a joint effort?

It's easiest right now, before the rains come.

If you're interested, call a date and time, and I'll join you. :blink:

BTW, if you're into fishing, I'm a keen "papgooier" and could spend a few hours there too!! :blink:

I'm the "official maintainer", and I haven't been back there since we found it over 2 years ago - sies!! :D

I've got a long-outstanding request to rescue the traveller in it, and I've been dragging my heels - sorry, my Cape friends, but maybe this is the prod I needed...!!!

BTW, if you're into fishing, I'm a keen "papgooier" and could spend a few hours there too!! :blink:

Wow! Sounds good to us!!!

Wow! Sounds good to us!!!

Most outstanding caches are in the region of 40+ km, except quite a few puzzle caches which I am too stupid to solve (maybe also do not have the time, but this should not be an excuse), have you tried the ones from Donkasand or some of River God.

Waiting to have a cluster of +- 6 cahces if more than 30 km away, also not too pushy for FTF anyway.

Greetings from Cache Fan

Well, here in london my nearest unfound cache is 3.5km away - which in fact was hidden by a South African, but I don't think I have the brain power to solve that puzzle.

Within 80kms of my house are 7250 unfound caches, but its pretty hard to get to a lot of them without a car!

Perhaps i should by an old claptrap, but the insurance sucks!

Well, here in london my nearest unfound cache is 3.5km away - which in fact was hidden by a South African, but I don't think I have the brain power to solve that puzzle.

Within 80kms of my house are 7250 unfound caches, but its pretty hard to get to a lot of them without a car!

Perhaps i should by an old claptrap, but the insurance sucks!

Wow!!! If you've got a room, we'll get a car. ;)

By comparison - in Qatar there are 80 caches. 50 are mine!! The rest I have found already. ;) If I want to find any more it is a 45 minute flight west to Bahrain or a 50 minute flight east to the UAE. Venturing south to Saudi is not advisable and then the caches are VERY spread out over vast distances of desert - quite frankly not worth th ehassle of visas, sponsorship to get the visas, high risk of driving on Saudi roads. etc. ;)

I wait until I am in SA or elsewhere to do serious caching. I will continue to place caches here though as long as there are people to hunt them. I get as much pleasure out of placing caches as I do in hunting them.

The joys of caching in the Middle East!! :D:D