Stealing? Or just not being logged?

Cryptosporidium-623

On Friday I found a GeoCoin that hasn't been logged since March 2008. When I got home and looked it up, it turned out that the cache I retrieved it from was its final destination. (oops!) Needless to say, I need to go put it back and LOG that it's there so the owner can pick it up, but it had me wondering:

1. Why/how was this NOT logged for so many months? Surely someone with the experience to log/grab a coin had touched it within that period of time, right?

2. For GeoCoins that go "missing", is it possible that a many of them are still out there but simply not being logged for months at a time or is this considered more of a happy (and rare) coincidence?

Thoughts?

Its very possible that someone found this in the bottom of their bag, under the car seat etc and was too embarrased to log that they had it so long but was able to get it to its destination. I know at big events there are always several tbs and coins that haven't been seen for a while that turn up there.

Also sometimes coins turn up that haven't been seen in over a year but sadly that doesn't happen often enough.

um...... is it possible that the coin has been dropped off recently, but the cacher / visitor has not yet been able to log their visit?

This is often the case for international cachers, or those on a long trip.

Perhaps they too found it elsewhere, and have yet to log it's retrieval.

Or perhaps they retrieved and dropped it off without noting down it's tracking number... that's common. Especially with those cachers that just go out with a list and check it off, or go paperless.

I know at big events there are always several tbs and coins that haven't been seen for a while that turn up there.

Also sometimes coins turn up that haven't been seen in over a year but sadly that doesn't happen often enough.

I know exactly what you are talking about, On 10/7/08 I went to a cache site "overlook park" to pick up a "Blue Buzz" that had finally made it back to its home state after completing its mission. It had been dropped there 12/30/07 Sadly it wasn't there. I researched the logs and on 2/29/08 there was a comment on the bug just barely fitting in the cache, but no log of it being taken.

Then 7/27/08 someone logged that it is no longer there.

I got an update on 10/12/08 that "Blue Buzz" was now picked up at a caching event. And based on the buzz log, the person that had it at the caching event visited the "overlook park" cache on April 4, 2008.

But here is the twist, the person that visited the cache on April 4th has over 3,000 logged caches.

Long story short, "Blue Buzz" was roughly 30 miles from being reunited with his owner when he was at the "overlook Park" cache.

Now, While in KY he is roughly 240miles from home now. The person claiming to have him lives in TN and traveled to KY to attend the Cache event :)

Edited by Brassine Family