Can I paperless cache on an ipod? please help

themohak

I've just started caching and i am hooked. I'm real sick of printing out a dozen caches before I go out for the afternoon. Is there anyway I can download the caches to my ipod? I own a ipod video 60g 5th generation and also the newer video 4g nano. I'm not super tech savvy, so if someone could please email or post step by step of how to do this if it's possible would be greatly appreciated. oh and my operating system is windows xp. thanks so much.

Edited by themohak

this is just a theory and its gotta be quick because im getting off work soom but you could write up the cache description in a text doc and then using ebookhood.com convert it to "apple note" format then put it on your ipod. This seems like it would be a crude way of doing it and again its only a theory i havent tried it myself but it seems like it should work. maybe someone else has a better way.

you could go on ebay and get a old palm pilot for 10-20 bucks then get cachemate and run a pq. (forum search on how to do it)

From my experience w/ Ipods I don't think you would be able to get any detail even if you could export the logs and import them into the ipod. Perhaps w/ contacts somehow? Not sure you'd be able to read all the description and notes though. You might try searching for apps for the ipod and see if one might be a fit.

Likely an iphone app is more appropriate. If they don't already have them, I'm sure they are in the works.

I've just started caching and i am hooked. I'm real sick of printing out a dozen caches before I go out for the afternoon. Is there anyway I can download the caches to my ipod? I own a ipod video 60g 5th generation and also the newer video 4g nano. I'm not super tech savvy, so if someone could please email or post step by step of how to do this if it's possible would be greatly appreciated. oh and my operating system is windows xp. thanks so much.

I havent seen any solution on the 5'th generation iPod yet. But if you plan on replacing that 5'th generation with the new iPod Touch then there is a solution. I have not yet experienced it for myself, but its called iGeoCacher.

http://www.ayefon.com/geo/index.cfm

I am not aware of its use, but I think im putting a iPod Touch on my wishlist if it is possible to go paperless without any hassle.

-Kulmosen

I'm the cacher that was out with SigsPig the other day. I use an Ipod nano. I'm not sure if Cache Magnet has a Mac version, you could always contact them and ask. However, if your Mac can emulate Windows you should be able to run the program.

You will have to be a premium member. If you are then here are the steps.

Load the program on your PC, it will ask for another Windows file, pick it up from Microsoft and load it as well.

Create a folder, perhaps under Document, called eg Geocaches.

Start Geocaching.com and pick the cache that you want to find. Press the GPX Exchange file button and save the cache in Geocaches. Close and go to the next cache, repeat steps.

Start Cache Magnet, it will open with a blank database. Under Waypoint, choose Import, highlight the caches in Geocaches and enter. You should see a line per cache on the database.

Save database

Under Devices import to your Ipod and GPS. (Assuming you have the cables already hooked up from PC to device.)

Ipod has to be configured for disk through Itunes once.

On the Ipod Cache Magnet comes up under Extras, Notes, Cachemagnet. The cache information should show up by waypoint. Hints are on a separate line and Logs are on a separate line also.

If you want to have a list, then there is a report facility. I usually print the index, short description and 2 logs.

Hope that helps.

I just downloaded GSAK today, imported the 500 closest caches from a Pocket Query, and downloaded and ran the iPod macro. The 500 cache pages loaded onto our 30GB Video iPod flawlessly (under 1 minute). Access to the decscriptions, logs, hints, etc. through the Notes functionality of the iPod works great. These 500 cache pages only represented 1.16 MB of space. You are not limited to 500 pages, just that each pocket query is limited to 500. I'm a happy paperless geocacher! I would recommend this to anyone who has an iPod.

Glenn.

so does that men it is for windows not for OSX?

Yes, that is correct. It is for Windows, not for OSX.

So is there an OSX program that could help my ipod touch go paperless without purchasing the over-priced app "igeocacher"? Is there any chance that someone is going to create another app as an alternative to iGeoCacher? I think it would be incredible to see if someone can get a program made up that is a GPX reader and can decrypt hints. The screenshots, reviews and tutorials are a real turn off for iGeoCacher, and I can't use PC apps like GSAK or CacheMagnet.

Mac users, unite! When's our time?!

SWEET!! Thanks SO much for bringing this topic up, and for all the responses, though the GSAK Macro for Ipod is KILLER!! I can't wait to get home and try it out!!

I love my 76GSx and have been debating getting on of these newer Garmins to replace it (it's only a few months old but I'm also sick to death of printing all this crap to take with me) in favor of the paperless caching.

THIS solution is PERFECT!! I'm so excited, thanks again and can't wait to weigh back in and let you know how it worked!!!

Oh yeah, on an off-topic sort of note, but noteworthy anyhow, for those with an iPod, windows, and who want an AWESOME itunes replacement with so many improvements I can't even begin to list 'em all, look into Anapod Explorer, google it. I bought it a few years back when I first got my 80G iPod Video, bought it sight unseen to replace itunes. Best $20 I spent for my iPod, and I bet you will too. I've turned so many folks onto this program they should send me dividend checks, but the reality is that anyone who sees it typically buys it because let's face it, iTunes sucks outloud for windows users.

Peace, and thanks again to all for this awesome, AWESOME, life-changing (ok, maybe not life changing, but paper saving for SURE thread!!!)

K

Just had a chance to run this iPod solution and it is amazing! Thanks for the GREAT tip Gamakite!! I find something new and cool nearly everytime I use GSAK. Registered it because it simply does everything I need. It seems like everytime I need to do something new or more complex with geocaching, the solution is in GSAK, and it's always straightforward and works perfectly. This solution with the macro is absolutely perfect, paperless caching with a 76CSx and an iPod video! SWEET!

Thanks again!

So is there an OSX program that could help my ipod touch go paperless without purchasing the over-priced app "igeocacher"?

In my travels around the web looking for such a thing for my brother I found the following program.

MacCaching GeoCache Manager for Mac OS X

It is sort of like GSAK for the mac. It looks pretty slick. If I was a mac user I would give it a try myself.

From its website, it supports the following methods of paperless caching.

- Place cache information on your iPod’s “Notes” section

- Export directly to CacheMate (for Palm)

- Put Cache Info in a cell phone or iPod Contacts list (vCards)

It costs $15 to register but can be used without registering. As I said my brother is just starting to try it out. Once I get some feedback from him, I can post what he thought.

Hope that helps.

Check this out! Looks like iPhone has a functional App option coming out from Groundspeak itself! I've also looked into iGeocacher, and its functionality off-line with gpx files makes it an ideal paperless option. The setup sounds rather tough, but it looks like if you have a Mac computer and and iPod Touch or iPhone, you can set it up in a couple of clicks.

If I didn't have the Touch, I'd get MacCaching, but it looks like there are some great paperless options coming out for iPhone and Touch now. (about time!!)