Shy about Event Caches

TropicalParadise

There is an event cache nearby here and I was thinking about going but I'm not sure what it would be like. I don't know any other cachers and while I'm trying to get involved with the local groups here, I'm still nervous.

So you just walk up and make friends and that's that? I wouldn't know anybody!

What was your first event cache like? Did you bring along a buddy to ease the nerves?

Also do most of them have liquid courage or is that shunned?

There is an event cache nearby here and I was thinking about going but I'm not sure what it would be like. I don't know any other cachers and while I'm trying to get involved with the local groups here, I'm still nervous.

So you just walk up and make friends and that's that? I wouldn't know anybody!

What was your first event cache like? Did you bring along a buddy to ease the nerves?

Also do most of them have liquid courage or is that shunned?

Just go, don't be afraid and have a good time. Most (all of them that I've meet) geocachers are very eager to meet and help a geocacher that they haven't met and that's what events are all about really - getting together and putting faces to names and real names to handles. A lot of them have never met in person either if it is anything like the first event I went to.

It was a pot luck and it felt more like a huge family reunion and just like a family reunion there were people there I didn't know, in fact out of the 60+ people there, I only actually knew 5 of them. Many people didn't know everyone there. This was a day event and was a family event so there wasn't any alcohol present and that has been true with all the events that I have attended since then. They are avery family oriented.

Don't be shy, just go and have fun you'll be surprised how easy it is.

It really depends on the event. Looking at some of the upcoming Nova Scotia events, I see a BBQ, a "get together for a warm drink" gathering, a 3-star terrain hike, and a day trip to an island by ferry.

Some of the event caches I've been to have had organized activities, but most have been social events: sign the log, fill in a name tag, and start putting faces with the names you've been seeing in cache logs.

Before you go, you can read the event cache's "Will Attend" logs. If you recognize any of the names, then you can say "Hi" at the event, and mention that you love their hides, or that you love their sig items, or that you've seen their name in the logs for a lot of the caches you've found, or whatever.

Just go.

Everyone at event caches recently (in the last 1-5 years) attended an event for the first time. So don't feel like you are an outsider. You are not. You belong to the great geocaching club. you are a member because you search for a cache and made it to the event.

You will most likley have more in common with people at the event than anywhere else you have ever gone with the exception of a family reunion.

Edited by weathernowcast

You'll enjoy yourself. Event caches are the only places where everyone has caching in common, and no one looks at you like this :blink::blink: when you mention hunting tupperware in the woods.

We traveled about an hour and a half away for our first event, so we REALLY knew no one. We picked an event where we knew there were going to be temporary caches, because we were nervous about just sitting around staring at and talking to people we didn't know. The temp caches really helped to break the ice, because we met people while finding the caches. Now, we just show up, and don't worry about it. After 5 years of caching, most people in the area know our name either from our local group, the Groundspeak forums, our coins, or our caches.

Have fun!

I agree with the others, Go and have fun.

There is usually a sign in table or some other sort of central gathering spot. This is where you might want to go first. The host or hosts of the event will most likely be there. Just introduce yourself to them. There might be name tags, put one on and start to wander around the area. You will start to notice names that look familiar from on line log entries in your area. If you see a familiar name, go up and say "Hi". You might find yourself talking about your favorite cache find or hide, different types of cache containers or just about anything else geocaching related. For me time seems to fly at events and I find myself looking forward to the next one.

Depending on the type or theme of the event, you might go with a group of cachers to find some caches during or after the event. Some events are meet and greets where you sit around at a restaurant for a few hours talking. Other events might have you out finding caches, either hiking or a road rally.

As for the liquid encouragement question, most events are family oriented so use your own judgment on that one.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Chris-Team Shydog

Haven't been to an event that I didn't like. By all means go and enjoy yourself you will find that cachers are pretty down to earth people. It is also very cool to put a name with a face from people who you read about regularily.

Bring a friend if that makes you feel better and don't be surprised when others come up and introduce themselves. We do like to socialize.

-HHH :blink:

Edited by Headhardhat

I remember that feeling. I even had post a note on an event that I ended up not being able to make it to asking if this was open to everybody and since I was new I really didn't know what to do/bring.

I got about a dozen e-mails within the next 24 hours answer all my questions and beening encouraged to show. I don't attent many events but when you go to your first you'll walk away wondering why you where nervious. :blink:

As for the liquid encouragement question, most events are family oriented so use your own judgment on that one.

Oh yea, I didn't mean that I was planning on getting totally trashed. Puking on everyone's shoes and then needing to get carried home is probably the worst way to make a first impression. I wanted to determine what TYPE of event the are. So these will be more like family days at the park vs. campfire parties.

Will I be out of place because I'm a teenage girl? Most pictures of cachers that I have seen have been middle-aged men, but of course, that could just be the ones that post pictures.

I'll bring my boyfriend, who could make a friend out of a boulder. The one that I was thinking about going to is a barbecue so I'm hoping it'll be relaxed.

I'm a little shy about the whole 'HEY THERE I'M TROPICALPARADISE WHO ARE YOU', but I think I'll suck it up and go to the event!

Thanks for the encouragement = ) :sad:

How much of the normal meeting people off the internet rules should apply?

ie.

Always bring a friend, make sure it's a public place, have cell phone, don't go in dark alleys with the person, tell somewhere where you're going etc.

- most events are already in public places (my first event was at a AA ball game, second was at a packed burger joint, etc.)

- there will likely be several people there (if only one other person shows up, well, maybe worry a bit then)

- post a "Will Attend" log, so if you disappear people will know where to look

- Sure, tell other people where you'll be and carry a cell phone

- I assume you've found a few local caches, so you've already seen the names of some of the locals (cache owners and "Found It" logs). This is your chance to put names with faces.

- Have Fun!

Bring along a friend of family member. And just be yourself.

and dont drink the kool-aid

I think the OP is way too young for understanding the kool-aid reference. :sad: Did anyone mention this? I don't think anyone did; there are almost always nametags worn by attendees at events. Not at the last one I attended, but that's besides the point. :sad: So walking up to someone and saying, "oh, you're so and so" isn't a problem. I actually didn't attend my first event for over 2 years, and I was quite well known by many by then, so I can't really give any views from experience there.

If you are new at an event, here are a few topic starters.

Walk up to a likely cacher. (Dirty, sweaty, carrying a pack, maybe even holding a gps)

Hi! I'm (cacher name) [They don't care about your real name]. I'm from XYZ location.

I was wondering, do you have any suggestions or advice on:

1. cache locations

2. a new GPS

3. hunt techniques

4. muggles

5. DNF's

6. meeting other caches on the trail

7. caching clothes

8. paperless

9. equipment

10. "ANYTHING relating to geocaching"

They will talk your ear off for an hour, say it was great to meet you, and mean it.