iPhone and conversion of coordinates

Hi everyone,

there are a lot of application for Computer to convert GPS coordinates into different types.

We got new iPhones 3G and find it very useful and have a lot of fun with it. We are using it also for Geocaching. Now we are interested in an Application for iPhone that converts the GPS coordinates as we do it on the Computer. Well, there are sone website where you can do this online but we would like to have this done offline.

Does anyone know if there is such an App available somewhere?

Thanks and Regards

Tarnumhang

Hi everyone,

there are a lot of application for Computer to convert GPS coordinates into different types.

We got new iPhones 3G and find it very useful and have a lot of fun with it. We are using it also for Geocaching. Now we are interested in an Application for iPhone that converts the GPS coordinates as we do it on the Computer. Well, there are sone website where you can do this online but we would like to have this done offline.

Thanks and Regards

Tarnumhang

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to, but I am going to give it a try!

I also have a 3g iPhone. If you download the free application "Here I Am" from the "App Store" it will show you your location in the following general format:

Latitude: 37.xxxxx N

Longitude: 122.xxxx W

I hope that helps.

Barrikady

Edited by Barrikady
...Does anyone know if there is such an App available somewhere?
Not I, but...

There's only one place to buy iPhone apps, the iTunes app store. If I wanted such a thing, I'd go there to search for it, and finding none, look at the closest likely candidates (hint: search for GPS apps on iTunes) -- then email those developers a suggestion.

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions. We have been loocking at iTunes and did not find what we are looking for so far.

We would like to have a little App on the iPhone where you enter GPS coordinate as GG° MM'SS" and it gives back GG° MM.mmm and GG.ggggg°. Hope, this may help to understand.

It seems a good idea to contact an Author of a GPS App.

Thanks again.

Tarnumhang

If you clearly state what you want and why (what are you trying to do with the information?), I'll try and write it if it's not too much trouble and release it as a free app.
I admire your generosity to the OP -- it seems like a lot of work unless you already have all the pieces in place.

I've got a little web app (not GC related, unfortunately) I wrote for myself that I'd love to turn into a "real" iPhone app. But between installing and learning XCode and the iPhone SDK, and then paying for a developer certificate and trying to get it vetted and posted by Apple ... it doesn't seem worth the effort. Even if there was an off-chance of selling a few hundred copies at 99 cents each.

I don't suppose you'd be interest in adapting a score card program that has nothing to do with Geocaching, would you? :sad:

WARNING: Topic drift ahead :rolleyes:

... a score card ... seems like a pretty simple app to write. ... I'm surprised there isn't something out there already....
Agree on "simple" and "surprised there isn't one already." I used to have something quite similar on my Palm. When I couldn't find one on the iPhone, I put together that web app on my lunch hour.

Since then I've found some score card apps on iTunes, but none fill the precise niche I had in mind. I just wish mine was native.

I downloaded Geopher Lite and it works great on my iPhone 3G. It cost $1.99 and saved me hundreds of $ replacing my garmin nuvii 200!

I runs my battery down like mad though and I know Im goig to need to find somethig more accurate, but Goepher Lite is awesome to just stat up and it tells you where the closest caches are to your position and give you their coordinates!

I need to find something to replace my Garmin Nuvii 200 which is more accurate but a pain to use because it doesnt auto update the coords as you move you have to click back then reload after takens a few steps.

Is there an enexpensive gps that you can see your coordinates on with some sort of compas "Arrow" on that shows you which way to walk to get to the coords you type in???

Any help would be super, Im poor so no $500 units for me Im looking as close to $100 as possible

Edited by MrHollick
Is there an enexpensive gps that you can see your coordinates on with some sort of compas "Arrow" on that shows you which way to walk to get to the coords you type in???
Um, well, yeah... just about any handheld GPS made, except for automotive units (which is what the Nuvi really is).

Go to the Garage Sale forum and post a WTB (want to buy) listing, you'll get lots of replies.

Edited by lee_rimar
Is there an app that give your current location coordinates in this format "N 30° 22.828 W 132° 48.428"
The previously mentioned Geocaching Toolkit

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...re?id=290585562

Will convert for you, but does not use the location manager to start with your current location. I just emailed the developer igct@btstsoft.nl offering that as a suggestion: having the coord conversion page query the iPhone's location when it loads, so prior to the user having to tap anything in, the current location is pre-filled on the conversion screen.

If others email the same suggestion, they might do it.

Edited by lee_rimar

Hi everyone,

Thanks and Regards

Tarnumhang

Surveyor's Delight - Fantastic app! Very useful for finding control monuments and staking out locations in various coordinate systems. Best app so far for a Land surveyor in my opinion:

iGeoTrans - GPS + Datum Transformation

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id471312204?mt=8