WAP interface

geowas

Hi,

the recent changes to the WAP interface make it unusable for me. With the built in browser in my NOKIA 2630, I can't "find caches" any longer since it now allows me to enter numbers only in the coordinates field, no dots or blanks as before. Can this be changed back, please?

By the way, why does the same dialogue use ZIP code as default, and not coordinates. As long as the ZIP code functionality only supports very few countries, I think it would be more valuable to most of us to have coordinates as default selection.

Thanks,

geowas

By the way, why does the same dialogue use ZIP code as default, and not coordinates. As long as the ZIP code functionality only supports very few countries, I think it would be more valuable to most of us to have coordinates as default selection.

I don"t think that the number of distinct, self-governing entities is the issue... about 60% of caches are in one country and the Zip codes work pretty well there, so as a customer service decision, having Zip codes makes sense if a reasonable percentage of US cachers prefer it.

Of course, 100% of caches can be found by coordinates, but that's more typing, plus you don't always have your GPSr handy (or you don't want to put it into dd.ddddd mode). So although I'm not a big fan of postal code lookup in general, this case seems reasonable to this European.

Hi,

the recent changes to the WAP interface make it unusable for me. With the built in browser in my NOKIA 2630, I can't "find caches" any longer since it now allows me to enter numbers only in the coordinates field, no dots or blanks as before. Can this be changed back, please? [...]

Thanks,

geowas

With my Siemens M65 smartphone it's exactly the same, and I heard this as well about a Nokia 6233.

I would be very glad, if wap.geocaching.com would be changed back!

Mythenmetz

None of the phones I tested on showed this behavior. I've removed the Numeric only tag and will try to get this released today.

-Raine

Any fix for the login problem? I experienced both problems as stated in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3622419

(I can also provide the full error report from my phone, if needed, but I won't post it here on the forum.

Anyway it was very similar to that one already posted.)

I tried to use this today, and it wasn't quite working right - the numbered choices on the side of the list were unusuable by keyboard - I was able to click on them, having a touchscreen, but the new functionality is much more difficult to use. Please change it back or fix it!

I'm using a Treo 755p through Verizon.

@Raine and colinwi:

the recent changes to the WAP interface make it unusable for me. With the built in browser in my NOKIA 2630, I can't "find caches" any longer since it now allows me to enter numbers only in the coordinates field, no dots or blanks as before. Can this be changed back, please?

I tried it today with my Siemens M65. It's still the same.

Mythenmetz

I was thinking it was just me a few nights ago, luckly i was able to hit a wifi spot and get what i needed. when i try to log in from my samsung phone (which did work a few months ago) I get a message that says...

Server error in '/' application.

valuditeon viewstate mac failed. if this application is hosted by a web farm or cluster ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationgKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster..... it continues on for awhile.... including a paragraphs that starts with DESCRIPTION, EXEPTION DETAILS, SOURSE ERROR, STACK TRACE and VERSION INFORMATION

@Raine

I tried it today with my Siemens M65. It's still the same.

Now it is working again - thank you very much!!

Mythenmetz

the numbered choices on the side of the list were unusuable by keyboard
I have the same phone (a Treo 755p) and the numeric choice keys don't work. They do work on the New York Times site. Here's the difference:

wap.geocaching.com uses some funky java script:

<a href="java script:__doPostBack('lnkViewCache','frmEnterWpt')">1</a>-View Cache

mobile.nytimes.com gets there with plain old HTML and the accesskey modifier. Also, the entire line is a link, which makes it easier to hit on the teensy screen with a stylus if you're so inclined:

<a accesskey="1" href="/article?a=243816&f=19">

Signs of Easing Credit and Stimulus Talk Lift Wall Street

</a>