TOMTOM

freanne

TomTom's smap to roads, so any cache not near a road, will be very difficult to find.

Furthermore, TomTom's are not made to walk/cycle around with, they're hardly rugged and/or waterproof, so if you stumble into a situation where the device can get wet and/or dropped, you may well be risking a rather expensive device.

Consider getting a Garmin eTrex, a Magellan eXplorist 100 or Geko 101/201 instead, they're quite affordable, while being more of an outdoor device.

Welcome.

We did our first 50 or so with a tomtom and it works fine, occasionally do the odd one now with it.

As others have mentioned:

they are not designed for walking around in the rain with.

Near to roads they will always snap to it (programming makes them think they are on the road when close to one.)

They do not refresh as fast as a hand held so you could be 10 yards away then suddenly you have passed it.

You can download a programme for Tomtom's called Offroad Navigator (search on google its free) that does work mine is very temprimental.

I recently used a Tom Tom ONE (other brands of SAT NAV are available...) to trak down a cache.

I was not far from a road so was good to get me close. As I entered the park where it was located I swopped from the usaual screen into a screen in the help section that then displayed my long / lat in deg.dec format.

I found this to be very accurate and soon found what I was looking for.

Hi

I used a Tom Tom one for quite a long time before getting my Garmin handheld GPS,

The way I did it was by going to "Navigate To" and then to "Latitude Longtitude" and entering the co-ordinates for the cache then going to the satilites page which will change the co-ordinates as you get nearer the cache, in this way your not following any roads so you can go as far as you want just watching the sats screen

Hope this helps

Fremde