Process for here and geocaching.com

firennice

I am getting a cartridge ready. Before they will publish on geocaching.com they need a location, but I also need it to compile the cartridge.

So. Do i need to get approval for the location (we are in a cache rich area) before I compile the cartridge? or do i compile ... upload.. and hope for approval. The guys in this city are puzzle crazy so there are literally 40-60 mystery/puzzle caches laying around, that we run into all the time placing caches too close.

In my state, NC, I can submit a cache for review and ask the reviewer to hold off on publication. He'll tell me if I have any problems once he reviews the cache. If not, he'll mark the cache as disabled and put a note on it. This also "reserves" the area for what I am about to publish.

After that, you can do a final cartridge compile, if you have not done so already, and upload the final version. Continuing my example, I would then post a note to the reviewer or something (I forget which options are available at that time).

You'd probably ask about timing the cartridge release on Wherigo.com with the cache on geocaching.com. There is currently no way to do this. The best you can hope for is a responsive reviewer after you mark the cache as ready for the public; that is when you should release the cartridge on Wherigo.com so it's available as soon as the cache is published. Sure, the cartridge will be available before the cache, but let that be a reward for the few cachers in your area who check the new cartridge page every night.

While the above situation seems ideal, you should probably check with your area's reviewer to see if this is possible. Reviewers have various styles, usually stemming from what seems to work with cachers in their area.

Sure, the cartridge will be available before the cache, but let that be a reward for the few cachers in your area who check the new cartridge page every night.

:D Nobody does that do they?

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I doubt ;) that ever happens but it's a woot if it ever does!

Sure, the cartridge will be available before the cache, but let that be a reward for the few cachers in your area who check the new cartridge page every night.

If you want you could require the player to enter a code into the cartridge before it will start up. That code could be available only on the published cache's page. It would probably be polite to warn people on the Wherigo page's listing that this is the case so they don't rush out, turn on the cartridge, and find they are stuck.

If you want you could require the player to enter a code into the cartridge before it will start up. That code could be available only on the published cache's page. It would probably be polite to warn people on the Wherigo page's listing that this is the case so they don't rush out, turn on the cartridge, and find they are stuck.

Sneaky . . . but I like it. Don't know if I'd do it - but I do like it!