Travel Backpacking Stoves

Metaphor

OK, here's a challenge for all the gear gurus out there-- I only do carry-on luggage, and can backpack as an extreme minimalist. What is the best non-petroleum based fuel stove out there, that I can carry on board for flight -- trans-Oceanic or domestic? My criteria: fairly efficient heating, does not need to be used for a long cooking duration, but may need to be more than a heat water to boiling, dump packet, stir and serve stove, and needs to be able to use natural fuels, not prepared combustible mixtures that may or not be available at the start of the destination, and definitely wouldn't be allowed on board an airplane.

Whatcha got out there?

Edited by Metaphor

OK, here's a challenge for all the gear gurus out there-- I only do carry-on luggage, and can backpack as an extreme minimalist. What is the best non-petroleum based fuel stove out there, that I can carry on board for flight -- trans-Oceanic or domestic? My criteria: fairly efficient heating, does not need to be used for a long cooking duration, but may need to be more than a heat water to boiling, dump packet, stir and serve stove, and needs to be able to use natural fuels, not prepared combustible mixtures that may or not be available at the start of the destination, and definitely wouldn't be allowed on board an airplane.

Whatcha got out there?

So, help me out here... what is it, exactly, you'd like your stove to burn? Wood?

Have you seen how much extra they're charging for baggage lately?

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

Sounds like an alcohol stove would be a good fit (best fit). Trangia makes a nice one, as does Brasslite, not sure about the new players but they all should do what you want. But better yet, build your own! :):unsure:

Fuel is available almost anywhere (they'll even burn rubbing alcohol in a pinch, or Bacardi 151 rum for that matter... :) ) Here's a link to get you started, google away though, there's tons of info out there on these.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

So, help me out here... what is it, exactly, you'd like your stove to burn? Wood?

Have you seen how much extra they're charging for baggage lately?

michelle

There used to be two things about checking baggage that I didn't like -- waiting for it and having too much of it because I could check it. Now, there is a third -- having to pay to check it.

I've heard of battery powered fan stoves that burn twigs and chips, the alcohol option given in the list below, and other innovative stoves that I could bring in carry-on luggage and would not get me placed in the "special" line before I boarded my plane. The fuel just has to be readily available at the other end, whether it be Colorado or Croatia.

I'm open to all suggestions.

The biggest problem you're going to have is transporting the stove once it has been used. All airlines will refuse it. Postal service has strict guidelines to follow for shipping used stoves. Your best bet is to wait till you're in the local area and find out what is most popular there. Yes, it is an expense, but it gets past the used stove transport problems which are a huge headache and you can always gift it to a local person there.

You might also check the local sports stores and see if they rent them.

The biggest problem you're going to have is transporting the stove once it has been used. All airlines will refuse it. Postal service has strict guidelines to follow for shipping used stoves. Your best bet is to wait till you're in the local area and find out what is most popular there. Yes, it is an expense, but it gets past the used stove transport problems which are a huge headache and you can always gift it to a local person there.

This is what I was afraid of...

Thanks for all the replies and links-- I'm looking into them.

The last time I backpacked a stove on an airline was around 1980 on a trip to the Rockies -- my SVEA 123 with a half-liter of fuel in carry-on, though the bag was oversized and checked, no questions asked, in the forward cabin compartment with the businessmen's suit bags. (I think it was a United flight.) And the drinks were free. I've flown a lot since then, but not with a backpacker's backpack, instead with a more touristy backpack, doing the gasthaus and pensione circuit.

Hmmmm...

You can buy a Snow Peak Giga Power stove w/o a piezo for $39 bucks. Pocket Rocket is the same. Cheap Cheap. Tranga or Varga alcohol stoves are around $29 bucks.

Know anyone where you're going? (Geocachers are everywhere... so are hikers. You just have to find one!)

Howabout making an alcohol stove and taking it with you? You can buy the fuel when you get there (almost anywhere), and you'd be good to go. It won't hurt to have to leave it behind because they're dirt cheap to 'buy' and put together.

You may need to work on your design so you don't have to test each and every stove you make before you put it in your luggage.

I don't think they're quite as nice to 'cook' on, but it might be ideal for your traveling and inability to take a 'used' stove with you on your return. You might have to rethink your food though. (Personally, we eat quite well with a little pre-hike prep and the just-add-boiling-water method.)

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

What is the best non-petroleum based fuel stove out there, that I can carry on board for flight -- trans-Oceanic or domestic? My criteria: fairly efficient heating, does not need to be used for a long cooking duration, but may need to be more than a heat water to boiling, dump packet, stir and serve stove, and needs to be able to use natural fuels, not prepared combustible mixtures that may or not be available at the start of the destination, and definitely wouldn't be allowed on board an airplane.

Whatcha got out there?

Try the Sierrra Zip battery powered stove. It burns pine cones, twigs, etc., (cow chips too if you are so inclined :ph34r: ) with the kick in heat coming from a small battery powered fan. The heat is amazing - just make sure you have a good pile of fuel before you start, as the fuel will be converted to BTUs in nothing flat. The stove will blacken the bottom of pots, so be prepared for a bit more mess than with a gas or propane stove.

I did learn that these things are considered to be "open fires" and are not subject to exclusion from campfire bans like gas and propane stoves. Fortunately, we had our trusty MSR with us too that trip.

There is nothing in the stove that is dangerous (except for perhaps a few ragged rivet heads and sharp edges), but you might have some explaining to do when you try to carry the stove on board a plane, especially after it has been used. The sniffers is use today might flag the ash profile for "special attention from TSA."

http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html