Explorist 210 and Mapsend Topo 1.0

Meckers

I bought an explorist 400 which came with a new (but old version) of Mapsend Topo 1.0. I didn't keep the 400 but did keep the Mapsend for use with my Explorist 210. The old Mapsend was originally for the Meridians and Sportraks but the box was stickered "Also for explorist receivers." However, when I try to transfer small regions (well within the 210 memory) to the 210, the Topo is looking for a serial (comm 1 or 2) port whereas the 210 uses the USB. I saved the region to disk first but can't overcome the roadblock of the comm port.

I then copied the two files (.rgn and .img) to the "Detailed Maps" of the 210 just using windows copy functions. When I tried to turn on "Detailed Maps" in the GPSr, it didn't show any maps in the folder.

Maggie support is closed now so I was wondering if anyone's been down this road and has a solution? Thanks.

Edited by Meckers

I bought an explorist 400 which came with a new (but old version) of Mapsend Topo 1.0. I didn't keep the 400 but did keep the Mapsend for use with my Explorist 210. The old Mapsend was originally for the Meridians and Sportraks but the box was stickered "Also for explorist receivers." However, when I try to transfer small regions (well within the 210 memory) to the 210, the Topo is looking for a serial (comm 1 or 2) port whereas the 210 uses the USB. I saved the region to disk first but can't overcome the roadblock of the comm port.

I then copied the two files (.rgn and .img) to the "Detailed Maps" of the 210 just using windows copy functions. When I tried to turn on "Detailed Maps" in the GPSr, it didn't show any maps in the folder.

Maggie support is closed now so I was wondering if anyone's been down this road and has a solution? Thanks.

The Explorist line will only use the Topo 3D for topo maps. The older topo's are said to be incompatible.

Older Magellans (Map330, Merdian, SporTrak) used a different file format for maps than the Explorists. Older maps had an extension of IMG and the newer ones use IMI files. Versions of MapSend shipped before the release of the Explorists had no way to create an IMI file.

I might be wrong about this (and I was, see later messages), but... I think the "Magellan Conversion Manager" program is on your Explorist setup CD and can translate the maps you made with older Mapsend to the newer format.

Edited by lee_rimar

Thanks Lee but when I run the Conversion Manager, it looks for .imi or .mgi files only. It won't recognize .img files. I wonder if I have the option in Mapsend to "save as" an .imi file. I don't remember that option. I'm about to give up. It really isn't a "must have" for me by any stretch.

Topo3D should work with your 210. The program knows which kind of detail map format to use from the serial number you have to enter when generating detail maps. Make sure you use the number from the About screen on your 210...not the one in the battery compartment.

Conversion manager can help in moving the file from the computer to the GPS...Topo3D didn't have USB communication capabilities built into it. But you can also use Windows Explorer for that, if you know where to look for the files and where to send them to. Conversion Manager makes it a little easier.

But that doesn't solve the file extension problem.

Oddly, the serial numbers are identical except that the battery compartment number has an additional zero in the front and an extra digit at the end.

Thanks guys. As I said, this isn't a must have but I'll call Magellan on Tuesday anyway.

IIRC, the Explorist requires an .imi extension. If you have an Explorist serial number entered for the generation, it should give you an imi file. I think that anything else would give you an .img file, for the older Meridians and SporTraks.

For it to work, you need the correct extension and the correct serial number matchup.

I don't have my Explorist 500 anymore, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I think the rgn files are used only by the Mapsend program you have to define the rectangular region boundaries.

So...be sure you have the right serial number and look for an imi file in the images folder. If you get that into the maps folder in the 210, you ought to be able to activate it and use it.

I don't think that you even need to have the eXplorist 210 Unit connected to the computer to generate maps using MapSend. For whatever reason, MapSend v. 1.00, while compatible with the 210, cannot actually transfer map files to the GPS Unit itself. So you just need to type in the serial number, as embra said, and then transfer the files later. This thread also seems to confirm that only the serial number is important.

As long as you always choose 'Store on Hard Drive' when asked "What would you like to do with this region?" in the Upload to GPS Wizard when using an eXplorist 210, the *.imi files should be created.

After choosing 'Store on Hard Drive,' click Next and type in the target serial number (from the About menu.) Since you're not transferring files directly to the GPS Unit, you can ignore the COM ports and Settings and Connect buttons and just click Next again to get to the Upload Wizard - Ready to Upload Dialogue. Make sure that you have enough available space, and then click Finish.

Meckers, were you able to get this far? I know that I can do all this with my eXplorist 210 turned off and disconnected, but I don't remember if I had to do anything fancy to get started the first time 2 years ago. It sounds like you tried something similiar, but ended up with *.img files instead of *.imi files? On my Windows XP machine, the resulting *.imi files are located in C:\Program Files\Magellan\MapSend Topo 3D USA\Export\Images

If you were able to create *.imi files, there are two ways to transfer them to the GPS Unit.

The easiest is to connect your GPS Unit to the computer with the USB cable (with the wire from the USB connection pin running down the back of the unit, and not upside down.) The *.imi files can be dragged and dropped into the Detailed Maps folder just like you tried.

Another method, and one that I usually use, is to use software that should have come packaged with the eXplorist 210: Magellan Conversion Manager. On my machine, the short-cut is located in the Start Menu -> Magellan -> eXplorist 210 -> Magellan Conversion Manager. Once you open up the Conversion Manager, it will ask what you want to do. Select 'Transfer Map Regions' and click Next. Follow the on-screen directions by connecting your GPS Unit, turning on the Unit, and choosing "File Transfer" on the GPS Unit itself. Your saved *.imi files should all be present in the Region List, but you can use the magnifying glass icon to browse for them in a different folder if need be. Select the regions you would like to transfer, confirm that your GPS Unit is using the correct drive and click Next. (My unit switches back and forth between using the E:\ and F:\ drives, so I always have to check that.) You will now see the Map transfer screen, which will take several minutes. Once the transfer is completed, click Next, and then Finish. Now you're done, and the maps will show up on your GPS Unit.

Best of luck - hope you get this sorted out in the forums; calling any Help Hotline is never fun :unsure:

Shellfish, I think Meckers has all of that information already in hand. Just sounds to me like he (or the program) are confused about the serial number so it's generating an older IMG format file instead of the IMI he needs.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but: DON'T ENTER THE LEADING ZERO OF THE SERIAL NUMBER! ... or as others have said, enter it as it appears on the GPS "About" screen, not in the battery compartment sticker.

I just tried it in my MapSend Topo. If I enter the leading zero of my serial number, it assumes it's an older unit and I get an IMG file. Enter the s/n correctly and I get an IMI.

Case closed?