OK, how do you pronounce 'cache'?

Superdottie

Of course, it depends where you come from. Vowel sounds vary. I was chatting with a custome in Pittsburgh. He said I'd have to talk to Don. Don? I don't know him. D-a-w-n. No. Dawn and Don have two entirely different sounds! Whatever. Cache rhymes with hash.

That's how seems to be in MN too. I grew up in Chicago and it took me a while to distinguish between Dawn and Don. Dawn was pronounced Don.

Of course, it depends where you come from. Vowel sounds vary. I was chatting with a custome in Pittsburgh. He said I'd have to talk to Don. Don? I don't know him. D-a-w-n. No. Dawn and Don have two entirely different sounds! Whatever. Cache rhymes with hash.

That's how seems to be in MN too. I grew up in Chicago and it took me a while to distinguish between Dawn and Don. Dawn was pronounced Don.

OMG that drives me nuts. I work on a small team with a Dawn and a Don and when I take meeting minutes someone always has to correct what I've written down as this one guy always says "Don" regardless of whether he means Dawn or Don. One of them needs to change their freakin name. LOL

That said - cache = cash to me unless I'm in a snooty area and then I sometimes think cash-ay as in Tar-jhay. ;)

OMG that drives me nuts. I work on a small team with a Dawn and a Don and when I take meeting minutes someone always has to correct what I've written down as this one guy always says "Don" regardless of whether he means Dawn or Don. One of them needs to change their freakin name. LOL

That said - cache = cash to me unless I'm in a snooty area and then I sometimes think cash-ay as in Tar-jhay. ;)

Reminds me of one of the sections at work I used to be in. Along with a few other misc. names, we had: Don, Don, Dawn, Larry, Larry, Mike, Mike, Keith, and Keith. You never knew who anyone was talking to or about.

That said - cache = cash to me unless I'm in a snooty area and then I sometimes think cash-ay as in Tar-jhay. :unsure:

Reminds me of one of the sections at work I used to be in. Along with a few other misc. names, we had: Don, Don, Dawn, Larry, Larry, Mike, Mike, Keith, and Keith. You never knew who anyone was talking to or about.

I've got that on my team as well. We've got Paul, Paul, Paula (me), Dawn, Don, and Margie and Marjorie and two Sues. Crazy. It's a wonder we get anything done.

From the archived Locationless cache:

With the accent aigu: cash-AY

Without the accent mark: CASH

This is what I was going to say too! The store is pronounced differently, to fancy it up. Like when the store Target is jokingly called Tar-shay.

Tar-Jay

Tar-jhay LOL :blink: How in the world did all of us from all over the world start calling it that anyway??!!?? That has always intriqued me.

He's pronounced it cash-ay.

Thanks!

For some reason people who pronounce it that way annoy me. So your husband annoys me and I don't even know him.

You know what's even worse? People who say "catch", and worse yet, even type the word catch in catch, I mean cache logs. I'm not imagining this, I've seen this many times.

cache (kash)

n.

a. A hiding place used especially for storing provisions.

b. A place for concealment and safekeeping, as of valuables.

c. A store of goods or valuables concealed in a hiding place: maintained a cache of food in case of emergencies.

2. Computer Science A fast storage buffer in the central processing unit of a computer. Also called cache memory.

He's pronounced it cash-ay.

If he's a computer geek wait until he complains about his PC, and then ask him if he's cleared his cash-ay.

When he corrects you on the pronunciation, say HA! in your face geek-boy!

or something like that. :sad:

I agree that "cache rhymes with hash", but as for the other: where I live, "Don" and "Dawn" sound exactly alike :laughing: (The "o" is like the "o" in "pond").

Tar-jhay LOL B) How in the world did all of us from all over the world start calling it that anyway??!!?? That has always intriqued me.

Probably for the same reason we call it "Jhissy Pinay" B)

(JC Penney)

For some reason people who pronounce it that way annoy me.
Same here. Like when the weapon is pronounced "NEW-kyu-luhr" :laughing:

When my youngest son was small, he pronounced queue as "kwee" B) I explained it was pronounced like the letter "Q". He asked "Why does it have all those extra letters, then?" I couldn't answer him B)

I say cash my husband thinks I'm wrong. Are there different ways?

Cash. It's hard for me to type Cash now. It always comes out cache.

A local example of mispronouncing. Garden City, ID has a road. Chinden. It's a contraction of Chinese Gardens. You say it Chin, Den. Exactly like it's spelled. Folks insist on calling it "Shin Den" as if Shinese Gardens was the contraction. When it come to po dunk downs in Idaho they are pronoced like you are a backwoods hick. Say it correctly and the locals will look at you funny because, well, you are wrong. I get corrected a lot. Then they drive me nuts by saying "Mute Point" IT'S MOOT DANG IT IF I SAY YOUR TOWN WRONG ER...RIGHT WILL YOU CALL IT A MOOT POINT?

Cash Aye has Euro roots. Maybe the French call it that.

...When my youngest son was small, he pronounced queue as "kwee" B) I explained it was pronounced like the letter "Q". He asked "Why does it have all those extra letters, then?" I couldn't answer him :laughing:

You have a smart son. Alas the real answer is that english is retarded in the real sence of the word. The printing press fixed the language into a mess before it could evolve into some nice simple spelling rules that applied to everthing. Webster made some progress in the USA but since the rest of the English speaking world didn't follow his lead we now have two ways to spell a lot of words. Color and Colour (or is it Coloure?) for example.

some people seem to think that making things sound french confers a certain cachet (which IS pronounced "cash-AY").

la cache, c'est cachée là-bas.

similarly, "forte", as in "it's not my forte" is properly pronounced "fort". it is from the french meaning "strength". idiots confuse this with the italian "forte" (for-tay), meaning "loud", or they just simply think everything with a terminal "e" needs the accent aigu.

it's kind of like the ever-increasing tribe of illiterates who think every terminal "s" must have an apostrophe near it.

and it's "a-POS-tro-fee, not 'a-pos-TROFE".

idiots.

tact is not my forte; grammar is.

...(for-tay),...

Um... Whoops.

Heheh, yes, it is indeed pronounced for-tay for that definition:

forte [for 1, fawr-tey]

1. a strong point, as of a person; that in which one excels: I don't know what her forte is, but it's not music.

flask was hoisted by his own petard with that faux pas. :lol:

...(for-tay),...

Um... Whoops.

forte [for 1, fawr-tey]

1. a strong point, as of a person; that in which one excels: I don't know what her forte is, but it's not music.

wrong again, bucko.

it has become an accepted pronunciation rather than smack the illiterates upside the head with it, just as in "nuke-you-lar".

look it up.

you will find i am not "hoist by (my) owne petar"...

i don't know what your forte is, but it's not grammar.

similarly, "forte", as in "it's not my forte" is properly pronounced "fort". it is from the french meaning "strength". idiots confuse this with the italian "forte" (for-tay), meaning "loud", or they just simply think everything with a terminal "e" needs the accent aigu.

I always thought it from from the Latin "fortis"... Which is pronounced exactly the way you think... (fort-iss). And in that case English can pronounce it however it wants since it's spelling it wrong anyway :lol:

it's kind of like the ever-increasing tribe of illiterates who think every terminal "s" must have an apostrophe near it.

and it's "a-POS-tro-fee, not 'a-pos-TROFE".

I agree with the first, that habit annoys me to no end. Although I've never heard anyone pronounce it "a-pos-TROFE." That would be... odd. :(

...(for-tay),...

Um... Whoops.

forte [for 1, fawr-tey]

wrong again, bucko.

it has become an accepted pronunciation rather than smack the illiterates upside the head with it, just as in "nuke-you-lar".

look it up.

you will find i am not "hoist by (my) owne petar"...

i don't know what your forte is, but it's not grammar.

You are the one who is wrong, for indeed I did look it up before I posted. Sorry that you do not like it, but it is so.

Cheers

P.S. Here's a link to Forte in the Oxford English Dictionary, with pronunciation:

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/500887...hilite=50088788

Edited by UncleJimbo

You are the one who is wrong, for indeed I did look it up before I posted. Sorry that you do not like it, but it is so.

i'll bet you say "nuke-you-lar", too.

it'd figure.

Why would I use an incorrect pronunciation? :lol:

That's enough feeding the "trolle" for me for today. :(

because it's every bit as acceptable as the other two pronunciations you seem to think are OK.

it's simple deduction. if you accept two on the grounds that some sources are now shrugging their collective shoulders and listing them rather than making an issue of declining literacy, then you have no grounds rejecting "nuke-you-lar", which has been listed as an alternate correct pronunciation since the early '80s.

it's all right. not every one can make sense. why should you aspire to it?