Cache near railroad tracks ?

I'd like to hide a cache at the bottom of a road bridge with a set of tracks overhead! the tracks are about 30 or 40 feet above you and not really accessible from the road. It's an old limestone block bridge out of town. I wanted some opinions on this before I submitted the cache for review. Thanks cachers :cry:

First. Caches near road bridges on busy roads are not a good idea and may cause your cache to not be approved.

Second. Often the RR came first and the road second. That normally means that even though the road doesn't have access to the RR if you are under the RR you may be on RR right of way and the road itself had to have permission.

Caches are generally not allowed on RR property.

That's two potential strikes against this cache already based on your

description.

Find out who your reviewer is and talk to them. They will better know the area and the answer to any specific question that you may have.

I'm only going to say this once... HORRIBLE IDEA!

Your messing in terms of FEDERAL LAW issues here.

Especially if the route is what they call "Mainline"

Yes, I worked for the railroad. Its just not a great idea to do it...

Plenty of other spots! Plus I believe any good reviewer will deny you INSTANTLY as they should for that type cache!

Aside from trespassing and "danger" (I personally think cars are more dangerous as trains tend to stay on tracks) if you got permission to plant a cache there, it would create immense pressure on reviewers as to which train caches were allowed and which weren't.

I know of a cache that was placed within about 20-25 feet of an extremely busy rail line (passenger and freight). I was surprised as I thought that was against the rules. ??? I thought about how many fast and inquisitive little kids go caching...

Aside from trespassing and "danger" (I personally think cars are more dangerous as trains tend to stay on tracks) if you got permission to plant a cache there, it would create immense pressure on reviewers as to which train caches were allowed and which weren't.

I know of a cache that was placed within about 20-25 feet of an extremely busy rail line (passenger and freight). I was surprised as I thought that was against the rules. ??? I thought about how many fast and inquisitive little kids go caching...

If you cared about those kids, you would have posted an SBA.

Yes, really you would.

But, nobody wants to be the snitch...

Yes, I was expecting the pounce. There's always someone wanting to yell at you without knowing all the facts. :unsure:

Actually I did go speak to the person who's property it was on (with permission). While she knew it was there, she had kind of forgotten about it. She had recently seeded some bare spots around the cache area to get grass to grow. She asked me if I could contact the cache owner to ask it be removed so her new grass wouldn't get trampled. And I did. I contacted the owner and politely conveyed her request making sure the owner understood he could place the cache somewhere else on her property if he wanted to...just not THAT area near the train tracks.

So...mission accomplished without an "SBA", thereby retaining a cache at a really cool place. There is more than one way to skin a cat. :)

Disaster with children averted!! Seeee...I really DID care about the little children. BUT...did the reviewer????

There are a few cache series around here themed after the local light rail line or commuter rail line. The caches in these series are hidden near stations, but never on the tracks, on the RR right of way, or in the station. They also have big disclaimers at the beginning of the cache description telling you that the cache is not hidden on the tracks, on the RR right of way, or in the station.

But YMMV, since existing caches don't establish precedent for new caches.

Once when benchmarking I had to wait for a freight to pass so I could cross the tracks. I love watching trains pass (from a safe but close distance). I think that as long as you are off the right of way it should be fine. IMHO just ask yourself "Is this reasonably safe?" If so good to go. It is impossible to make anything totally safe. Some idiot will always find a way to get themselves in trouble no matter what you do.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location. However, if we see a cache description that mentions ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing may be immediately archived. We also assume that your cache placement complies with all applicable laws. If an obvious legal issue is present, or is brought to our attention, your listing may be immediately archived.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

As someone who ran them for a living I will say, I was never "easy" feeling when I saw someone along the tracks just standing there, unless they are a railfan taking pictures of the train.

People do dumb things, and I've seen people do life ending things out there.

Most generally the railroads own 50 to 100 feet from the center of the closest track. Distances will vary, but it isn't a good idea to even go close to a railroad bridge. There are plenty of locations to place a cache away from the tracks.

If you do place it within eye shot of the tracks/bridge make sure it has GEOCACHE stickers on it.