Vinyl Cache

craazy

I am pretty new at this but I have seen a few "themed" caches around and I was thinking about making a vinyl record type cache. but I was curious since most people dont have their old vinyl should I make it more a a music cache with CD's and what not? Maybe throw in some band stickers and pins and that kind of stuff

What do you guys think?

I have pretty solid case that I can use that should be waterproof and should smash the record close enough to not warp I just have to paint it and make sure I can hide it good
I have several case boxes of vinyl records at home I have been nervous about opening (got packed around 1982). The warping is caused by stresses in the plastic taking over when heat is applied and this can exert some pretty strong forces so if you restrict it from warping when it tries to it's liable to just shatter into pieces or form into some pretty cool shapes...

I like the themed caches and have several out and one in the works. When I was placing one in the woods I stumbled across a large 8mm movie spool reel and was thinking about A REEL COOL CACHE but have yet to figure out how to turn a movie reel into a cache container.

If the sun hits the container, the vinyl will probably get damaged. If you can hide it so that the sun never hits it, then it should be OK even in a hot climate.

As others have said, the theme will not hold up by itself, and given the number of people interested in vinyl, I suspect that you will never see a single vinyl trade (though you might see someone bring their old vinyl and leave it without trading). A few months ago I found a cache with a 4x4 theme in an area now closed to 4x4s though it was open for the first 2 or 3 years after the cache was placed; the magazines which the hider stocked it with almost five years ago were still there. I found another with a Mustang (car) theme -- it's even called Mustang Cache -- and a good bit of the original material was still there, about seven years after the original hide, damaged because both the original and first replacement containers were junk. (I hauled up an ammo can for it.) Mustang mags which had gotten wet; rear view mirror mount with peeling chrome and rust.

Also, make darned sure you know what will be waterproof. Don't count on wrapping the vinyl and cover; even archival plastic covers will allow anough moisture in to get the cover wet and moldy if there's moisture inside the cache container. No container made for food storage will be adequate with the possible exception of a lock-n-lock if you can find one large enough -- remember that this is a case where even a tiny amount of moisture leakage will turn your theme into yuck. I think there's a kind of ammo can which is large enough, but you'll have to do some searching. Perhaps a dry box by Otterbox or S3 (several merchants online, including Austin Kayak and The Waterproof Store).

Edward

I have pretty solid case that I can use that should be waterproof and should smash the record close enough to not warp I just have to paint it and make sure I can hide it good
I have several case boxes of vinyl records at home I have been nervous about opening (got packed around 1982). The warping is caused by stresses in the plastic taking over when heat is applied and this can exert some pretty strong forces so if you restrict it from warping when it tries to it's liable to just shatter into pieces or form into some pretty cool shapes...

I like the themed caches and have several out and one in the works. When I was placing one in the woods I stumbled across a large 8mm movie spool reel and was thinking about A REEL COOL CACHE but have yet to figure out how to turn a movie reel into a cache container.

I'd probably get a film reel canister, figure out a good way to weatherproof it and wrap thin strip of paper around the reel as the log