Don't you just hate it...

Juicepig

You put all that work into an earthcache writeup with charts, maps images, come up with interesting requirements.. Send it for publishing.. wait..

Few days later you see an earthcache in the place you picked out with the exact wording of a nearby plaque, asking you to guesstimate the width of the river.. from a forigner none the less.. :cry:

Last time I got beaten to something like this I was waiting for approval before sending it off (which I am still waiting for..)

Don't ya hate pants?

That's always a bummer, especially with an earthcache and all the work that's associated with preparing one for submission. Hasn't happened to me yet, but then most of us in my neck of the woods have a gentleman's agreement about just this sort of thing.

So ... hmmmm .... do you suppose this "foreigner" actually visited the site as per Geoaware's latest update of the guidelines?

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I try to work with other active EC placers around where I live in Ky. I check with them and make sure they arent working on the same thing as me.

I used to tell others of my finds and plans for ECs, but stopped doing so because I was almost beat to one location I had been working on.

I now take pictures of each EC location to prove I was there at the site. Its a requirement to of actually been to each one of your own ECs, or at least I am told so...

If your writeup is on a different aspect of the feature you can still get it published.

I worked with another cacher at Devils Postpile to get a couple of earthcaches published a couple of hundered feet apart (plus another couple of hundred vertical feet). She focused on the columnar jointing and I focused on the glacial features. GSA probably doesn't want to make a regular practice of having them so close together, so hopefully you can find another spot a reasonable distance away.

It also turned out that I submitted one for a beach in Santa Cruz that a local cacher had been working off and on for quite a while. He was good natured about it since he didn't really have a plan for when he was going to submit it. After reading what he had wrote (very similar info) I gave it to him. He had done a good job, but his locaiton was about 1/4 mile down the beach and would have had different questions. There wasn't a good way of splitting the discussion to focus on two different elements so he could have published his own.

I still keep track of it with a bookmark and he said he would send me any answers sent directly to him so I can keep working on my paper.

I try to work with other active EC placers around where I live in Ky. I check with them and make sure they arent working on the same thing as me.

I was working with the local cachers, we were discussing it - and i called dibs on this particular feature..

Unfortunately that doesn't quite work when the cache placer is 500 km from their home.

If your writeup is on a different aspect of the feature you can still get it published.

I hope Mr. wonderful-review sees it that way They have it listed as a hydrologic feature, mine deals more with the fault features... Although I will have to change a few of the questions now in the requirements since they copied the plaque which i was using as the text of their page.. ;)

Edited by Juicepig

Along the same line, I got beat out of developing an EarthCache by a few days when I went through the governing body's top level administration division and the other party got permission from the forest technician.

Edited by BiT