Etiquette for Simultaneous Finds

geoingcrazy

Let's say I have found a cache, and have carried the container away a short distance to avoid attracting attention to GZ while I write the log and stuff it with swag. Then another GCer comes along and starts looking. His search is futile because I still have the cache in my hands. Is it proper etiquette to shout out “Cache busy” or “Close enough - you found it”?

What if it’s apparent that the newcomer isn’t looking in the right place?

GC

Been there done that. There are enough cachers in San Diego that it is not rare or suprising to be at a cache at the same time as someone else, especially for a cache that is still new-ish.

Since you asked about calling out to them, I guess that covers the advice of staying close. Depending one who it is, if I know them or not, I ask if they'd like to sign the log with me, or if they'd like to take a walk aorund the block so I can put it back for them to find. I dont think there are too many people that would have a problem with leting them sign, since they did 'find it' in your hands, and the social good of the interaction is good for the caching community. I do know a couple people who still like the opportunity to find it themselves, and might like me to re-hide it for them so they can find it, others ok with signing and seeing the hide when I put it back.

On a related note might be the way groups handle the find when out together. Again, with some cachers it's a group search and when you find it you call out the cacher victory call (Got It...) and with some other groups the understanding is that if you see it, you calmly search away from it, then announce that you saw it and let others continue to search.

So yeah, long babble short, it's really up to the cachers that are there on scene. Have fun, make a friend, and maybe next time instead of meeting at a cache, you can meet then go caching!

In that situation I'd call out to the other searcher and say that I had the cache with me. If it was a standard cache (typical container in a typical place) I'd just say to come sign the log. It there was something atypical about the hide (hard find, excellent camo, trick to the retrieval, etc.) I'd ask if they wanted me to put it back so they could hunt it.

For a similar scenario, I've been involved with a total of two "group hunts" (a large group of people congregating at ground zero and scouring the area for the cache). The last one was a particularly evil nano rated 4-stars difficulty. Many DNF's had been logged. So a dozen people are minutely examining every leaf and twig around GZ with flashlights; the cache owner behind us smirking and cracking jokes; the neighbors (Jehovah Witnesses) had already come out of church en mass to investigate, and a few were still hanging around to stare at us.

We'd been there for 15 minutes when the owner announces "Oh, I guess I should tell you that the cache was actually found about 5 minutes ago". The finder had snagged the container and walked back to his vehicle to sign the log and make absolutely sure he was in the FTF spot, leaving us there to search blindly for a cache that wasn't there.