wanting to put a cache near a cache I already have published

garynlyssa

I placed a cache in a park and i wanted to place another one but it is only 276 feet away from the first. Is is possible instead of having it published to just add it as a special find on the first cache i had placed. Does anyone ever do this or do I just have to find somewhere else alltogether?

I placed a cache in a park and i wanted to place another one but it is only 276 feet away from the first. Is is possible instead of having it published to just add it as a special find on the first cache i had placed. Does anyone ever do this or do I just have to find somewhere else alltogether?

You could make it part of a multi, otherwise you'd have to archive the first one and place the second one.

What do you mean by "a special find on the first cache"? I think as the guidelines say a minimum of 528 feet, that's what they'll use to decide whether to publish the new cache.

Maybe you could place a clue to the second (new) cache inside the original cache and make it like a multi. But the second cache wouldn't be a separately published cache.

We had the misfortune of finding a cache listed as a regular-sized traditional one. We (well I) misread the description that mentioned there was a "special cache" (a clear glass jar) in a way too obvious spot along with the primary cache somewhere else. There was no mentioned in the special one indicating you must continue on our search. We just found the "special one" Anyway, because of time and cost (a $14 ferry ride) we simply posted the find as a note and never went back to find the primary one.

IMO, the best thing is not be cute and make it a multi cache.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. Cachers sometimes place "mystery coords" into traditional caches where when you find the traditional, you can go find the other cache, but to be listed on GC.com, it has to be 528 from your first hide.

If you just want people to find the extra container and don't care if it's listed online, you can leave it there, but I think you'll find that most won't look for something they're not going to get credit for.

Edited by Skippermark

Yes, you can hide another cache in the park, but it isn't likely to be published here because of the proximity issue. It would be considered a bonus cache for those who found the first one. You can also allow finders of the bonus cache to log the first cache a second time if the smiley count is more important than the experience and the journey. That starts down a slippery slope that is discussion for another thread-and has been discussed many times already.

But the real question is-is there no other cache worthy location in this part that meets the minimum 528' separation, and is this second location only a long punt return away really so special it merits a cache placement? :laughing:

You could make it part of a multi, otherwise you'd have to archive the first one and place the second one.

I wonder what the limit is. I learned that a local landmark of some fame is 40' - 100' from one of my other rather permanently installed caches.

We have visited quite a few caches where there is a notable feature or item a short distance away. One of our own caches has such an unusual item to visit - a sandstone war memorial with unique carvings.

The cache description mentions this (together with coords) and many cachers have stated that they have gone on the short distance to have a look at the figure.

Frequently there is more than one way to achieve your desire to get cachers to visit another nearny location.

As for logging the cache twice to increase your smiley count - NO. You have only found the one official Groundspeak cache.

I think what the OP is asking is whether henshe can hide a cache close to the first and allow finders the opportunity to get a bonus smiley on the first cache.

I believe that the answer to this question is 'yes'.

I'm not so sure about this as most reviewers would see it as an obvious attempt to circumvent the guidelines.

Frequently there is more than one way to achieve your desire to get cachers to visit another nearny location.

The additional waypoints feature is tailor made for this.

Edited by briansnat

I don't know if this sounds stupid but I would put a little lnote with the log letting people know that there is a little bonus find in the same area and if they would like to look for it that would be great and i would leave the coordinates with the note. It is a large pill bottle with log book and a few small trade items. I don't know, I don't want to get in trouble or anything. It is just such a cool little spot but I can't put an ammo box there, that is why i chose the other spot.

Why not make it a multi and make the pill bottle stage one at the cool spot and the ammo can the final 276 feet away?

Multis tend to get less action than a traditional, but if the cache description mentions that the final is a short distance away, it would probably get quite a bit. People like finding short multis. At least around here.

Edited by Skippermark

I don't know if this sounds stupid but I would put a little lnote with the log letting people know that there is a little bonus find in the same area and if they would like to look for it that would be great and i would leave the coordinates with the note. It is a large pill bottle with log book and a few small trade items. I don't know, I don't want to get in trouble or anything. It is just such a cool little spot but I can't put an ammo box there, that is why i chose the other spot.

Shouldn't be a problem, however since it won't be listed here, it really shouldn't be logged. While allowed, it would be poor etiquette.

Edited by baloo&bd
I wonder what the limit is. I learned that a local landmark of some fame is 40' - 100' from one of my other rather permanently installed caches.
There is no limit for minimum distance between stages of a multicache. I know of a cache where the first stage and final stage are right on top of each other. Apparently, the system wouldn't allow them to have the exact same coords, so they are off by .001 minutes west from the posted ones.

Edit: I guess that means the limit is actually 1/1000 of a minute...

Edited by Too Tall John

There are a number of "bonus caches" in my area. It's a multiple logging thing. Find the cahce, log the find. GO to the trouble of finding the bonus, log it again.

Are you saying the second cache isn't listed online but people find it and log 2 finds on the first cache?

I've never heard of that.

I've seen caches where you find one or two and get coords to a real bonus cache that's listed online. You find the one and then the bonus and log each one once online.

There are a number of "bonus caches" in my area. It's a multiple logging thing. Find the cahce, log the find. GO to the trouble of finding the bonus, log it again.

Are you saying the second cache isn't listed online but people find it and log 2 finds on the first cache?

I've never heard of that.

I've seen caches where you find one or two and get coords to a real bonus cache that's listed online. You find the one and then the bonus and log each one once online.

Yes, that's what he is saying and will probably turn this thread into a war of opinions. It is a common practice in certain sections of the country.

Oh, I see where this is heading. Let me head off any potential silliness and say that in my opinion, I think you should list that second cache on a seperate website, then nobody will be offended.

And subsequently only post your log on the separate site since it does not meet the minimum requirements of GC.com.

Back to the OP;

-It can be listed as a multi, this would be the easiest. The only issue you may have here is with previous finders. If it were me and I chose this, I would email the hint or coord to all the previous finders since it was not available to them originally or, since they already have find credit it may not really be an issue.

-You could list it as a bonus cache, just not have it logged here or as a note. This allows people to have a running log of their "finds" and is quite common in a lot of areas.

-You can ignore accepted etiquette and let the bonus cache be logged here. There are no cache police with the power to boot you for it. Admittedly, north of where I live this is a common way to circumvent the system, usually with temporary caches that do not meet the intent of permanence requirements intended to boost numbers..

I think most would agree #1 would probably be the least painless..