Geocaching dogs

Firstly - this isn't an anti-dog thread and I have no objections to dogs logging my caches - but....

What's in it for the dog? Obviously they enjoy the walks to the caches - but what do they get from the logging of caches? What's the point of it all? Just wondering...

and yep a special "Woof" to the Wheelybarrows collection of lovely Corgis - who bought the question to mind.

Firstly - this isn't an anti-dog thread and I have no objections to dogs logging my caches - but....

What's in it for the dog? Obviously they enjoy the walks to the caches - but what do they get from the logging of caches? What's the point of it all? Just wondering...

and yep a special "Woof" to the Wheelybarrows collection of lovely Corgis - who bought the question to mind.

Oh yes... Those very polite corgis have been up here logging our caches too! :laughing:

MrsB

I used to have a dog, so I suppose I am kind of qualified to answer...

I think dogs are as important part of a family as (dare I say it...) children.

I know kids log caches cos one day they will be old enough to fly the nest and cache on their own with their own families, and dogs won't, but as part of the family, why not? :laughing:

I see no harm, afterall, this is a hobby that ALL the family can enjoy, die hards that only do BIG rugged mountain top caches to those of us that hate hills ( :D ) so why not doggies too?!

When I go out caching at the weekend I've normally got the dog with me, and do mention her in logs sometimes, particularly if she enjoys the walk, or finds the cache (which does happen!).

I do however, stop short of having an account for the dog, what's the point?

It is a bit twee, but harmless enough... unless the cachers and their dogs are both logging their cache finds separately, which will fill your inbox and push perhaps more helpful logs down the page (and off a PQ?). Could this be one of those 'everyone plays the game their own way' things, but with 'everything' rather than 'everyone' (Dogs aren't people, no matter how much you might want them to be your 'furbabies')

Dogs having their own accounts don't need to have a reason :D as it's all part of the reason for going caching having Fun :laughing: it just adds a bit more to the experience.

And yes I have 2 both with their own accounts :D

Just to make it clear it's part of the FUN and the dog owners get FUN out of it. Thats F U N :D:D

Deci just one of the many Dog owners who love having FUN and being a little bit mental :D

As Hollys Hikers, Holly is obviously the team leader, but she isn't too great with the spelling and these keyboards are just not paw friendly so I get the job of logging the team finds!! :D:laughing:

She is a part of the family for us and loves the walks. She also has been known to find several caches, a pivital role as far as I'm concerned!! :D

Dogs having their own accounts don't need to have a reason :D as it's all part of the reason for going caching having Fun :laughing: it just adds a bit more to the experience.

And yes I have 2 both with their own accounts :D

Just to make it clear it's part of the FUN and the dog owners get FUN out of it. Thats F U N :D:D

Deci just one of the many Dog owners who love having FUN and being a little bit mental :D

So you have to log every cache 3 times? - see I wouldn't find that fun! But whatever floats your boat...

Caesar, like Holly, has found several caches himself ... he is particularly good at finding lunchboxes and ones which contain tennis balls!

He doesn't have his own account as he is part of the team ... besides he is much too busy doing other things; his job keeps him busy, and then there's the daily paper, all his online friends to keep up with, yada, yada, yada.

If others have dogs who do have the time to log their own cache finds, tis fine by us! :D

Edited to add: Caesar has asked me to state that he is a dog, not a child substitute and vehemently disagrees with the term furbaby. He is, after all, 98% wolf!

P.S. A very worrying thing happened this weekend when the sweeper up outside the County Hall branch of MacDonalds asked me if Caesar was a tiger, yes, a tiger! I replied of course he's not a bl***y tiger, if he was a tiger he would have stripes, any old fool can see he is a lion! :laughing::D

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

We have fed our Westie called Bobbie by putting his food in an old ammo box and his water in a tupperware box, but it has not taught him to find the elusive caches when we are out caching. He will still walk straight past them and then wonder why we have tried to hide from him in a hedgerow or at the base of a tree!! He has actually accompanied us on every cache that we have done, loves the walks and really seems to enjoy it and meeting other geocachers and dogs as well..... He does not have his own account though and will not be getting one either as he is simply part of a team, plus his spelling is awful!! :laughing::D:D

Well as long as they play their part in finding the cache, and sign the log book, I can't see any reason why they shouldn't also be allowed to log them online...... :laughing::D

...but not being a doggy person, I can't really see any other reason than to give a record of when their owners have had the dogs with them when they've been caching...

Of course - if one of the doggy's ended up winning COTM one month questions might need to be asked..... :D:D

Edited by keehotee

Oh yes... Those very polite corgis have been up here logging our caches too! :laughing:

MrsB

its as bad as a sad donkey logging caches

I know there are logs by dogs of woof, howl and stuff.

But I do like the logs by Tashinton. These logs are in English and also written by Tashington (I assume :laughing:) and from the perspective of Tashington. Hence notes along the lines of "I was tired after reaching the top of the hill, but I could not understand why my human's were scrabbling around under the rocks at the edge of the cliff" type of thing.

Good creative fun.

Totally pointless.

I for the most part bring my Dogs for cover and when the whole family are going out.

I have asked them both if they want a geocaching account and due to a lack of response I have decided it would better not to.

The dogs enjoy running around the 'walk' caches but other than that it can be quite annoying to be putting them in and out of the car with out a proper walk.

Each to their own

P.S. A very worrying thing happened this weekend when the sweeper up outside the County Hall branch of MacDonalds asked me if Caesar was a tiger, yes, a tiger! I replied of course he's not a bl***y tiger, if he was a tiger he would have stripes, any old fool can see he is a lion! :DB)

Wendy you owe me a glass of wine I have just spat all over my keyboard and screen.... :D

That was just toooooo funny :laughing::D:D

M :D

I know there are logs by dogs of woof, howl and stuff.

But I do like the logs by Tashinton. These logs are in English and also written by Tashington (I assume :D) and from the perspective of Tashington. Hence notes along the lines of "I was tired after reaching the top of the hill, but I could not understand why my human's were scrabbling around under the rocks at the edge of the cliff" type of thing.

Good creative fun.

Tashington's write ups are fab and soo funny too :laughing:

M :D

Westie usually gets a treat when I find a cache, however as a caching buddy she does not pull her weight and has only ever found the 1 cache which she was sitting on when I got around to the other side of the bush!

Westie usually gets a nice walk and my caching name gives her enough credit, a cute dog usually means that you waste a lot of time chatting to muggles when you should be caching. Westie gets enough credit from my name and the couple of TB's that have been sent out in her name.

When she finds a cache by herself and signs the log I will give her credit however the new stamp that I have ordered also contains a westie so I think that she gets all of the Kudos that she deserves.

Westie walker

Forgive me for introducing an element of sanity into the proceedings, but pretending that your dog 'logs' caches is utterly cringeworthy and embarrassing.

Oh now come on, life wouldn't be much fun if we were all sane! And I can see writing "proper" logs from your dogs perspective must be a great creative writing exercise and as Deci says "It's fun!"

Possibly if a dog goes caching with various cachers, maybe Mum and Dad one day and an older child with their own caching account, then I can sort of see a point.

What I don't understand - and hence why I asked the question.... is...

If I had a dog (and I'd like one, I just don't live in a suitable property to have one) Then I may well cache as "Birdman and Rover", what I don't think I'd do is to have a separate caching account for "Rover" - so thats why I was asking why does your dog get from having their own account?

Its not an anti dog question, I've met some lovely "Geodogs", namely "The Caching Corgis" and "The Fluffy Detective" and loads of others...

I'm just trying to understand - that's all..

Oh now come on, life wouldn't be much fun if we were all sane!

True enough.

And I can see writing "proper" logs from your dogs perspective must be a great creative writing exercise

It is theoretically possible that a literary masterpiece will be produced by a cache-logging-dog. But I'm not holding my breath...

what does your dog get from having their own account?

Nothing. Zero. Nada. Niente.

Its not an anti dog question

It's not an anti-dog answer either, though it may be construed as an anti-dog-owner answer.

'm just trying to understand - that's all..

This I admire, though I fear you are looking for wisdom in the wrong place. Tawdry sentimentality is what you'll most likely find. :cry:

Forgive me for introducing an element of sanity into the proceedings, but pretending that your dog 'logs' caches is utterly cringeworthy and embarrassing.

Oh now come on, life wouldn't be much fun if we were all sane! And I can see writing "proper" logs from your dogs perspective must be a great creative writing exercise and as Deci says "It's fun!"

We recently set a dog themed cache and wrote the page from Clova's prespective. It was great fun writing the cache page and a couple of cachers have also logged it from their dogs view on things which is fun to read.

I dont think we would go all out and make a seperate dogs account (after all Clova is our team leader..) but for the occasional log it is FUN and as Birdman has said a great creative writing excersise.

And as for introducing sanity into the procedings? We search for plastic boxes full of tat using multi million pound satellites just so we can scrawl our alter egos name on a bit of paper..... Is there any sanity involved??? :cry:

Edited by Team Clova

You have of course the set of caches "Westies Walks" etc which have gained much thanks from fellow dog walking cachers who appreciate a decent stroll to the prize and itis nice to get praise and thanks from them.

Locally Uncle E has done a series called Border crossings, The shortest of these Multis is about a mile and a half, Westie had great fun bullying ducks int the water, however more recently she was frightened off by some nasty hissing swans.

To get to what I am always saying to Mrs W.W, "she is not a person in a furry suit, dogs need to know their place" says the person who nearly lost the dog who chased a deer in the New Forest recently and had to call the Fire Brigade when they lost their Terrier down a Badger Set.

To go caching with your dog is taking company with you, they are hopeless at finding caches and if you own a Terrier you definatley need a sense of humour.

More recently in my local area the trend has been to set micros in trees or nanos on street signs, at least if a dog walker has set a cache then you will get a decent walk, proper cache and somewhere that you just might return to (ok you might have to look where you are walking!)

John (W.W.) :cry:

I look out for logs that are dog and kid friendly, so I find it useful if dogs post. Mine are useless at caching, but they enjoy the trip. I leave them at home if I'm not sure if the caches are dog friendly.

I'm sure other dog owners do the same.

Tara & Pip our two geohounds come out whenever they can, they are brilliant at keeping look out for muggles, when one comes in sight they bark to let me know. They also provide an excellent cover when a muggle passes by, no-one questions it when when you're in the middle of a bush when you have your dog with you. several times i've had to say to them "looks like we've lost your ball then!" But, what cover do you use when your out on your own in this situation? Apart from look slightly guilty and somewhat awkward!

I' think there should be a Geodog Smilely as well.

It's annoying to see a "dog log" knock a useful cacher log out of the recent five in a PQ.

I didn't realise "dog logs" could be annoying, perhaps I'll tell Roxy Bullie to just write "TNLN T4TC" in future. :)

We created her account because my wife thought it would be a fun thing to do and that is a good enough reason. We try to write her logs to match her character and usually find it harder to compose her logs than our own.

A bonus locally is that we have put our two caches in Roxys and my name, neither of which would have been placed if it were not for her. One is specifically aimed at canine cachers and the other was set on a new walk we were trying out.

I have to admit that she doesn't sign the book herself. Either myself or the wife will sign the log for both of us, just the same as many cachers who enjoy a day out together will do. She also cannot quite manage the keyboard yet :unsure: .............BUT

she does her share by doing all the driving.

drive.jpg

It's annoying to see a "dog log" knock a useful cacher log out of the recent five in a PQ.

Not being elite members :) we can't do PQs anyway, so we either check out previous logs before leaving home (whilst slowly downlaoding waypoints to the GPS one by one...) or go with the exciting frisson of not knowing what the last 5 people thought of the Cache (and bearing in mind that I reckon only about 10% of people ever log a DNF I am probably not at a huge disadvantage there anyway...)

That said, Kai only logs events. She has her own account because there isn't enough room in my logs on events to be apologising for her behaviour and thanking everyone who threw things for her, played footie with her or gave her a tummy rub! She also has her own geocoin collection, as she is trackable! She also has her own Cache, placed at one fo her favourite swimming spots :unsure:

She's on our stamp (which says TFTC - bikermel76 schnarff & Kai found this Cache) because we almost always Cache with her, and we took up Caching because of her - it gives US something to do whilst out walking, trying to wear out our boundless-energy-Border Collie! :)

(Anyway, puppymonster is only a member, not a premium member, and is therefor one of these parasitic cachers I used to hear about before I became a PM... :ph34r::rolleyes::lol: )

OK, after seeing my GPS was a bit chewed on, I was wondering what the deal was with him. I noticed this topic and saw that I had let his membership lapse on 8-23. I wondered why he was giving me that "look". Fortunately, I noticed the error when I read this topic and now have him restored him to his former "Charter Membership" status since the error was caught quickly. You are right in a way. He was never a "Premium Member", always a "Charter Member". Don't worry though, he is a happy dog and does not look down on poor "Premium Members". <_<:unsure:

For what it's worth, he was also the first "Platinum Member". That's another story though. :anibad: