GPSmap 60CSx and Garmin TOPO

hey guys,

i just received my first gps today!

i installed the topo software on my laptop, and spent about an hour marking cashe waypoints in various places around the 3 local towns in my area.

so i transfer the data to my 60CXs. Only one of the towns from the topo map software appears on my GPS!

is there a reason why all 3 dont download? :huh:

thanks much for your help. i need to get this solved so i can hit the trails!

hey guys,

i just received my first gps today!

i installed the topo software on my laptop, and spent about an hour marking cashe waypoints in various places around the 3 local towns in my area.

so i transfer the data to my 60CXs. Only one of the towns from the topo map software appears on my GPS!

is there a reason why all 3 dont download? :huh:

thanks much for your help. i need to get this solved so i can hit the trails!

Ok, without more info its hard to know exactly what went wrong so I will give a step by step.

First you have to select the maps to send to the GPS, depending on the version of TOPO you have and the size of your card will limit your selection (60csx is limited to 2025 segments). On mine with a 1g card (have since added a 2g) it would load all of the older TOPO and most of Metro Guide. When you send the maps to the GPS, it will create a mapset then transfer the maps, this may take some time (over an hour here). After the maps are transfered, then send the waypoints to the gps, this should be a quick transfer of less that a few minutes. You can send both maps and waypoints at the same time, but I prefer to do it separately. Once you a mapset on the 60csx, any further maps will erase what you previously sent so be sure to always send the maps you want in the mapset at one time.

When looking for caches, know that only caches that are within a few miles (10 I think??) will show on the list unless you search by name. So it may look like they disappeared but they are there.

Hope this helps, if not PM and I can get you further info.

O Mega,

ok. first off, i have topo canada v2.0

i installed all the drivers that came with the gps and the topo software on my laptop. i have also updated all the software online.

when i open mapsource topo, i can see the contour lines of the city i want(kelowna), and all the cashes that i have added. However i cant add the topo maps to my gps using the transfer button on the toolbar.

whenever i try to transfer data to the gps, it (TOPO)cannot find the GPS. Topo says i need to 'set the interface option to garmin or host' when i hit the find device button. the gps serial data format is set to garmin, but the gps says 'not connected' in the USB garmin data format. when i goto setup> interface, the gps will not allow me to change the USB data format window. my serial data format window is set to garmin. the only other option i have in the interface is for the USB Mass storage button.

Oh and BTW, i have been able to put data on the mass storage card. :huh:

for some reason i cant choose which topo maps to load on my gps. it always chooses the 'salmon arm' map area. :(

something else i have noticed. whenever i power up my gps i have to adjust the backlight; even after i have changes the settings in the setup menu. really annoying.

i have reinstalled the software a bunch of times, rebooted, and even swapped batteries in the gps a few times. :D

thanks for your help.

al

something else i have noticed. whenever i power up my gps i have to adjust the backlight; even after i have changes the settings in the setup menu. really annoying.

thats normal

i installed all the drivers that came with the gps and the topo software on my laptop. i have also updated all the software online.

Does your PC make any noise when you connect it and turn it on, recognizing it?

try installing the USB drivers again.

for some reason i cant choose which topo maps to load on my gps. it always chooses the 'salmon arm' map area.

You can`t highlight any other segments to transfer? Or do you mean you are looking at the map segment on the gps. Mine always says Ashland but all the other segments ( highlighted areas picked on mapsource to send) are there.

when i goto setup> interface, the gps will not allow me to change the USB data format window.

That will change on its own, you cant change that.