Viewing Archived Cache Pages

geobobb16

The other day I happened to walk by a spot where a geocache was previously hidden. I looked for it a few years ago, when it was still active, but failed to find it. When I walked by it, however, I spotted it even though it was archived a while back. I'm curious to know if there's any way to view an archived cache page besides looking by user name or by personal finds or DNFs. Thanks!! :huh:

The other day I happened to walk by a spot where a geocache was previously hidden. I looked for it a few years ago, when it was still active, but failed to find it. When I walked by it, however, I spotted it even though it was archived a while back. I'm curious to know if there's any way to view an archived cache page besides looking by user name or by personal finds or DNFs. Thanks!! :huh:

If you know the cache owners name, then go in and search their hides. It will be in there as showing archived.

Otherwise you will need the GC # and or contact your local reviewer with COORDS.

Yes. If you had logged your DNF, you could use that to find the cache page. And, having found it, you can still log it, even though it is archived (in most cases.) We logged one that was archived two days before we found it, working from a week old cache page.) You can check the stats pages for local cachers who might have found it.

Mere mortals cannot freely search for an archived cache.

But mere mortals CAN:

- go directly to the page if you know the waypoint ID

- lookup previous find, DNF, note, etc. logs made by youself and link to the cache page from the log (ALWAYS LOG DNFs)

- lookup all caches hidden by any specific cacher (you must know cacher's name)

- contact your local reviewer and ask (NICELY) if they'll look it up for you using the coordinates

- post the coordinates in the forums and maybe a friendly lackey will look it up for you, or maybe people can check other listing sites in case the cache was relisted somewhere else

In addition to J-Way's suggestions: look at logs on nearby caches which were active when you know that cache was active. Look back to the date you think it was active. Look who found it then. Look up their other finds on that date. Very likely someone also found the cache you are interested in. Click link.

Edward