GPS with maps

screech20

Do GPS units already have topo maps installed in them? For instance, I am going to get the Garmin 60cx. Will I need to purchase software to download the geographic area I am caching or can I just download that info from somewhere?

Thanks

Most car GPS's come with 'Street Maps'.

Most handheld GPS's come with a minimal basemap of major highways.

Additional software is needed if you want Topt, particularily on the 60CSx. I got a copy of that old MapSource Topo real cheap. My GPS is a Magellan and I also got a copy of that Topo real cheep when the new version came out.

Others will say that maps are not necessary, but they are definately nice to have.

Do GPS units already have topo maps installed in them? For instance, I am going to get the Garmin 60cx. Will I need to purchase software to download the geographic area I am caching or can I just download that info from somewhere?

Thanks

Most car GPS's come with 'Street Maps'.

Most handheld GPS's come with a minimal basemap of major highways.

Additional software is needed if you want Topt, particularily on the 60CSx. I got a copy of that old MapSource Topo real cheap. My GPS is a Magellan and I also got a copy of that Topo real cheep when the new version came out.

Others will say that maps are not necessary, but they are definately nice to have.

You may well find that you can get good topographical mapping of your area from OSM4You

Also be advised some Garmin maps require unlock codes - you'll want to avoid purchasing them from eBay for other online vendors. Generally, the auto-routing maps require unlock codes (one license per GPS). Non-auto-routing maps such as Topo and MetroGuide do not, as of yet, require unlock codes. That means you can install the maps on multiple GPS devices and purchase them online with relative peace of mind.