Paperless Caching for ipod touch & iphone

I'm really enjoying caching using my 3G iPhone in London especially, in fact this weekendthe iPhonegot signals where my Colo and 60CS couldn't. I'm not sure I would use it for anything other than urban caching though as I tend to get wet and muddy at times!

A couple of problems have emerged since the recent software update though. One is when accessing pages on gc.com and typing into a search box the page scrolls at quite a rate and I have to keep checking it has accepted what I have typed, and secondly,which is more annoying, every time I open the Google Maps feature from a cache page it opens up in the ocean somewhere off the coast of East Africa and I have to scroll it back to the UK

Anyone else experienced this?

I've just downloaded an app called File Magnet from itunes for £2.99. After installing it on my Mac I can connect on the same wireless network to the iphone. I can save the pdf's for the cache listings on the desktop, drag them into File Magnet and they appear on my iphone to be stored.

Probably old news but it's very simple and I love it!

Hi,

I have used FileMagnet as well for paperless geocaching on my Iphone. It works great.

Another possibility is to use Data Case. In this case you can load you pocket query into GSAK, export it as html and then copy the html files onto your iphone.

Robert

every time I open the Google Maps feature from a cache page it opens up in the ocean somewhere off the coast of East Africa and I have to scroll it back to the UK

I get this every time I use geocaching.com/map, I'm dying for a way of getting all that data into the Map application so it can be easily searched but, alas, you can't just point Maps at an XML file and watch the sparks fly!

Anyone else experienced this?

Yes I just tried and it did the same to me.

I haven't had chance to go out caching with mine yet, I usually load info onto my csx through mac caching but I was printing out the pdf sheets to take with me. I tried loading notes onto my ipod nano but it didn't save all of the text, with the file magnet I get the lot.

I've only got the iPod touch so am limited to just a database server but I thought you'd also be interested to hear of this on the way Geode Application. Currently in development but sounds like a beta version might get released soon.

There is also iGeoCacher already available however there is currently a small debate over its compliance with the Terms Of Use re: PQs. Its also £8.99 which is'nt too bad but Geode looks neater so I'll be waiting to see what they are like when both out.

I can save the pdf's for the cache listings on the desktop, drag them into File Magnet and they appear on my iphone to be stored.

Probably old news but it's very simple and I love it!

I have an LG Viewty and I've been paperless caching ever since I got it. Don't need any special software, it's already made to read PDF's. I just save the PDF onto my PC and upload it to my phone via a bluetooth dongle. It's great to be able to pull up cache details when out on the trail and having problems finding that elusive box. And we don't have to tote around a bag of paper anymore, love it!

Hi,

I have had the problem of it opening markers in the ocean as well. I think it is a problem of how quickly the page downloads. It seems to happen in areas of low/poor signal.

I press the little GPS centre button (bottom left of the map), this moves the map to centre your position on the screen before the pin appears and that seems to be doing the trick for me.

As for getting the marker onto the iPhone in the first place... if you click the Google Map link on the cache's page the iPhone will open the app and put the pin in without any fuss (other than the ocean going :cry:).

I love my iPhone, I can get the marker into the map as described above, use the GPS to find it, use 3G to read any more details/clues I need from the site, then report my find and load up the next one while still standing beside the cache. The only thing is I need to find a waterproof cover, just to be safe.

DogHeadGod

Does anybody know if the ipod Touch has a contacts section and does it use the .vcf file format??

It does have a contacts section yes. In terms of vcf import, i'm not sure.

In general you have to add the address either directly to the contacts page or via Address Book (Mac) or Outlook etc (PC) then sync it.

The iPodTouch manual states that the Mail App can handle vcf files so I assume you could load them into the contacts on the fly, but i'm not sure how you intend to use it.

If possible, email one to bambography@gmail.com and i'll try and import in into my contacts and see what happens. If you also let me know how you intend to open/import/use the vcf i'll try it out.

Does anybody know if the ipod Touch has a contacts section and does it use the .vcf file format??

It does have a contacts section yes. In terms of vcf import, i'm not sure.

In general you have to add the address either directly to the contacts page or via Address Book (Mac) or Outlook etc (PC) then sync it.

The iPodTouch manual states that the Mail App can handle vcf files so I assume you could load them into the contacts on the fly, but i'm not sure how you intend to use it.

If possible, email one to bambography@gmail.com and i'll try and import in into my contacts and see what happens. If you also let me know how you intend to open/import/use the vcf i'll try it out.

Thanks for sending me that vcf file. When coming I'm via email it was very quick. As I use the built I'm mail app I opened the attachment an it asked if I wanted to import all the contacts or individual listings. It then asked if I wanted to create them as new or merge with current which is a little odd as o didn't have either before.

They are now in are contacts app listed as their GC code they show their coords and them the description as a note. The only slight hiccup is that there are mo line breaks showing and therefore it's not clear where some lines end and things like the hint begin. Otherwise successful from this end. I'll try and post some shots of it all tonight if you are interested.

I'm overseas for the next week or 3, but fully intend to go the iphone (plus my trusty gps ) route when I return!

I've had a good look at GC.com plus the Google maps and I can't see anything beating it.

I've missed out on too many close caches while out and about.

I've even cancelled my Sky TV subscription to pay for it. :anibad:

For what it's worth, I've been using iGeoCacher on the iPhone 3G and it's great. Being able to go 'caching in areas without good mobile phone reception is simple and the interface is clear and logical.

One feature I'd kill for is a way of tracking my movements in the Maps application. I used to use SmartCom GPS on a Nokia 6680 and it was one feature I liked because I could see my trail on screen and work out which way I should be heading.

Build this into iGeoCacher and it may well be perfect!

All I need to do now is invest in a zip-lock bag to keep the miserable British summer out of my iPhone...

Cheers,

Stuart

I use the iPod Touch with the iGeocacher app along with a Magellan 210. The iGeocacher app works great. I also use GeoJournal on my laptop. The way I use it is to get a weekly pocket query that updates all the geocaches within about 15 or 20 miles radius around where I live. (or where I am going to be) I then import the gpx files into my laptop with the GeoJournal app. Then I can sort them into different catagories etc. I then export the whole lot into my Magellan 210. I think it will only handle 200 caches at a time so I have to upload into separate files. Anyway I keep about 750 caches handy on there at any one time. I then upload the whole gpx file to my iPod with iGeocacher and all the same caches are on my iPod. Then whenever I want to look for a cache, I turn on the GPSr and see what is close to me. I then do a quick search in iGeocacher and look up the same cache for all the details. Works Great. Before that I was doing the FileMagnet deal and that worked but was very tedious and laborious. I only kept the appropriate files for caches that I knew that I would be looking for in my iPod. There was no way to keep 750 cache files in one FileMagnet PDF and be able to find the cache later, no way. The Geode app looks like it will be great also, Can't wait to see that. But for now iGeocacher is the premier way to go paperless.

upnatom

I went to cache in Dover yesterday afternoon as we were passing close by on a job. I only had my iphone, no gps but thought I would give it a go. We pulled up in the beach car park and a text came through....

"Welcome to France" from OrangeFr, data roaming was off and would cost an arm and a leg to switch on at French rates, no matter where we moved we couldn't pick up on O2.

I think the iphone is a useful tool, especially in urban areas where the signal or the gpsr is poor or non existent, however, in more rural areas, the phone coverage can be patchy so it isn;t a one stop solution for going paperless.

I am using my iphone for urban stuff and a Colorado for out in the countryside. PLUS, with my recent smashing GPSr experience (got it caught in a wheel as I tubled out of my wheelchair) I wouldn't really want to muck up my iphone in that way, being without a gpsr is bad enough, but my phone, ipod and mobile internet as well ... that really would be a high price to pay! :rolleyes:

But it does have a very useful LED light and a good version of snake game.

Snake game? That's so last week when you can use your phone for caching :)

You might also want to check out the Nokia 95 cos I seem to recall that some folks on this forum use them and swear by them.

It's horses for courses really, in a built up area the iphone wins hands down ... I just don't trust myself in all the mud and gunge and rough and tumble of countryside caching with my phone and as has been noted, the signal in some parts of the UK for 3G is still patchy.

I've begun exploring the use of the iPod Touch as a paperless cache method. I have run into the fact that the GPX file produced by a pocket query is based on location from the search point. As best I can tell, it is sorted by distance from search point. To get it on my iPod, I convert it to HTML with GPSBabel and transfer it with FileMagnet (both great little apps).

The issue is that the source file was sorted by location. This file then converted only results in an HTML page of caches in the same order. My hope was to somehow sort the caches by GC#. This would make finding them in the HTML file easy. You would think that the PQ could sort the found set by GC#...

The other option is using vcards- but I have not looked at that yet (really don't want to have to go that way and trash my address book)

Your thoughts, advice, and warnings are all welcome.

Tad