Coveted a Groundspeak Volunteer Geocoin?

theUMP

G'Day

Well, this is your chance to own one without needing to impress your local reviewer!

To help raise some funds for a new server for our local geocaching forum (etc.) site, I've put a small number of my volunteer coins on eBay for you to buy.

Here's the listing

It's on ebay.com.au, because that's where my account and reputation resides, but it should be available from anywhere in the world. (If that turns out to be a problem, do let me know.)

No, I won't give you the activation code, but I'm happy to activate the coins at any time and adopt them to you so you can get the rare and exclusive icon for your collection.

Please email me via my profile with any queries.

Rgds,

Ian, theUMP.

Volunteer Reviewer for Australia

...No, I won't give you the activation code, but I'm happy to activate the coins at any time and adopt them to you so you can get the rare and exclusive icon for your collection....

That seems strange, unless the activation code is the same for all coins. If it were, then that's wise.

Yes, the activation code is the same for all the volunteer 2008 coins.

...No, I won't give you the activation code, but I'm happy to activate the coins at any time and adopt them to you so you can get the rare and exclusive icon for your collection....

That seems strange, unless the activation code is the same for all coins. If it were, then that's wise.

Am I missing something here, why would it be wise, the tracking numbers are unique to each coin -without a tracking number you can't activate a coin, and if the activation code is the same for all of these coins then that code is already widely known.

Am I missing something here, why would it be wise, the tracking numbers are unique to each coin -without a tracking number you can't activate a coin, and if the activation code is the same for all of these coins then that code is already widely known.

That's a good question. If you see a coin or even guess the tracking number though you can activate it becasue while the tracking number is unique the activation code isn't. If both were unique theUMP could give the coin and the code to the auction winner and give that onwner the choice of when and if to activate instead of a one time deal that can't be transfered to a 3rd owner. Of course TPTB could generate a new activation code for the ones being sold, and maybe for the volunteer coins it's worth it. For the two bits they make on a standard coin it's not worth their time.

Edited by Renegade Knight

wow thats a cool coin but it`s $103!

New collector i take it? ;) Have a look what they have gone for in the past....supply and demand.

Anyway, some of the bidding with these coins may be due to where the money is being donated to....not everyone may be bidding for these coins soley for their metal value. :D

mm