Topo 24K Northwest versus Topo 2008

Hi,

I just bought an Oregon 300 and I am planning on loading some Topo Maps. I am mainly using the GPS for Paragliding so in reality the area of Washington (where I live) and Oregon will suffice. But my questions is can you really see that much detail on such a small screen? I could get the entire US for $100 on DVD which I can load on my computer at 100,000 or I could get the 24,000 topo on a micro SD which probably won't be loadable on the computer and only for Washington and Oregon for the same $100. Is it worth the extra quality and detail of the 24,000? Can it really be appreciated on the Oregon 300 screen?

Thanks

I have the CA/NV 24K Topo microSD. For some reason it isn't really advertised, but these microSD cards also come equipped the City Navigator (maybe version 2009). I really like having both topo and streets combined without having to hide one set of maps behind another as you would with seperate mapping programs.

As far as I can tell, the 24K topo has great national parks coverage just like in the Garmin National Parks DVD sets. It doesn't however do as great a job with showing existing trails in the rest of the state. I would say the topo lines are much better than the 100k scale of US Topo 2008.

Another great feature is the trails are routable just like the roads. I'm looking forward to using this feature on my next visit to Yosemite.

There is no lock code involved so you are free to transfer the microSD card to other units. You cannot copy the microSD card (a copy won't work on another unit) or display the maps in Mapsource.

I'm very happy with this microSD card and have shelved my City Navigator and US Topo 2008 software.

Hi,

I just bought an Oregon 300 and I am planning on loading some Topo Maps. I am mainly using the GPS for Paragliding so in reality the area of Washington (where I live) and Oregon will suffice. But my questions is can you really see that much detail on such a small screen? I could get the entire US for $100 on DVD which I can load on my computer at 100,000 or I could get the 24,000 topo on a micro SD which probably won't be loadable on the computer and only for Washington and Oregon for the same $100. Is it worth the extra quality and detail of the 24,000? Can it really be appreciated on the Oregon 300 screen?

Thanks

Yes, the detail is much better than Topo 2008. Not only do you get better topo data but you also get poi's that City Nav has like shopping, entertainment, restaurants etc. And you can street route in either 2D Or 3D.

The only downside that I see is the fact that you cannot plan outings on the pc.

I took back my fourth Colorado 400t to REI and exchanged it for an Oregon 300. With the left over money I bought the 24k Topo. I think it was a great investment BUT I already have Topo 2008 because I couldn't stand not being able to see where I was going on the big screen first when planning back country outings with the 400t. So now I use Topo 2008 on the pc only and 24K on the Oregon. I even prefer to route with it more so than with City Nav NT. Now I only use 24K on the gps as it does it all.

Edited by Warriorrider

I have the CA/NV 24K Topo microSD. For some reason it isn't really advertised, but these microSD cards also come equipped the City Navigator (maybe version 2009). I really like having both topo and streets combined without having to hide one set of maps behind another as you would with seperate mapping programs.

Would you clarify the above paragraph please? What GPS do you have? To my knowledge the new Topo 24K MicroSD series does not include City Navigator--CONFUSED. Further, with my Colorado 400t I learned early on that I could not use City Navigator 2009 and the Topo 24K for the Northwest at the same time and get topo information. City Navigator will mask the Topo 24K where you will lose contour and icon information. I've been advised by Garmin to only select and use one at a time. That said however, it doen't seem like I lose much city street information if I have only selected the MicroSD Northwest Topo 24K map.

Even if it turns out true having City Navigator on DVD means I can plan trips with it on the PC first. It will be interesting to hear how well the vertical speed indicator works and helps gliding.

Edited by Ratsneve

Would you clarify the above paragraph please? What GPS do you have? To my knowledge the new Topo 24K MicroSD series does not include City Navigator--CONFUSED. Further, with my Colorado 400t I learned early on that I could not use City Navigator 2009 and the Topo 24K for the Northwest at the same time and get topo information. City Navigator will mask the Topo 24K where you will lose contour and icon information. I've been advised by Garmin to only select and use one at a time. That said however, it doen't seem like I lose much city street information if I have only selected the MicroSD Northwest Topo 24K map.

Even if it turns out true having City Navigator on DVD means I can plan trips with it on the PC first. It will be interesting to hear how well the vertical speed indicator works and helps gliding.

I have a 60CSx. To help clarify the microSD card has both 24K topo maps integrated with City Navigator, but only for two states. My CA/NV microSD does not show topo or street info for the other 48 states (unless it's on your basemap). Before I purchased this microSD card I used US Topo 2008 and City Navigator DVDs, and I had to tell my GPS to hide City Navigator in order to see US Topo 2008. Not so with this microSD card, as both programs are combined as one and share the screen simultaneously. Edited by Low Bat