Is this a type of Benchmark?(photo included)

JP09876

Is this a type of benchmark?

I found this on a residentual street.

Laguna Hills, CA 92653

intersection of Talega Ave /Rio Grande Ave

Near Mandeville Park

N 33, 35.005

W 117, 41.825

I didn't measure it or include anything for a reference , but I think it was about 6 to 9 inch diameter

EDIT

Sorry--I could not upload the photo(Is there a way to upload a photo in a post?)

what this marker said was

"ORANGE COUNTY SURVEYOR"

Edited by JP09876

You can only link to a photo that has been uploaded elsewhere on the 'net.

You can use one of your own caches or any of the photo hosting sites like Picasa (et al.).

Sounds like a benchmark alright.

Also, it sounds like a benchmark that isn't going to be in the database here or in the one at the NGS.

You could create a waymark for it, though.

Being that large in diameter it is probably the lid of a monument box. Inside would probably be a monument set to mark the centerlines of the roads for the subdivision. Different jurisdictions have specific monumentation requirements for things like that. If you went to the County Courthouse and try to see or get a copy of the subdivision plat, it will probably show it as a monumented point.

That area has google street level photos, but I can't see the thing very clearly using that.

- jerry wahl

Is this a type of benchmark?

I found this on a residentual street.

Laguna Hills, CA 92653

intersection of Talega Ave /Rio Grande Ave

Near Mandeville Park

N 33, 35.005

W 117, 41.825

I didn't measure it or include anything for a reference , but I think it was about 6 to 9 inch diameter

EDIT

Sorry--I could not upload the photo(Is there a way to upload a photo in a post?)

what this marker said was

"ORANGE COUNTY SURVEYOR"

Hi JP09876:

I'm one of your "neighbors" up in North Orange County (CA). I've been "hooked" on Benchmarks hunting for quite a few years. I agree that 6" to 9" does sound rather large for a benchmark. Could it have more like about 4"? Maybe look like this?

81f45f0e-f289-4de3-abef-b14632fc728a.jpg

Here is a website that has ALL the Orange County Surveyor's benchmarks. You can probably "step down" through the map levels to find "your" benchmark. It's a little clunky, just experiment a bit and be patient with it. Only SOME of the Orange County's Surveyor benchmarks are in the NGS database (and hence the Geocaching database). Feel free to shoot me an email through the geocaching website if I can help you out.

-- Klemmer

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama