Seed caches and such.

Some time ago, enforcement of the 'agenda' part of the guidelines was made a bit more rigorous. There have been several threads regarding this.

Seriously?? Soliciting? If that was the guideline in question, why haven't any reviewers pointed that out to the OP or in this thread? I'll ignore the issue of how promoting geocaching could be an agenda not allowed on the site.

As I've said, I'm in agreement that this type of ALR shouldn't be allowed. I just haven't read any guidelines that say it isn't allowed.

... Untill GS Forces all that do the same from the time this un-written rule has been put in place, they will have to let mine stand. End of story.
Thanks for the laugh.

I'm glad you liked it. :laughing:

I have archived the one I was forced to change and re-submitted a new cache, suggesting the placement of new caches with no strings. We shall see what is done this time.

Good lesson here for GS, Some of us are still human. Post all rules so we few that can not read your minds know what they are. Un-writen ones are hard for me to see and I'm sure others have the same issue.

:laughing:

Some time ago, enforcement of the 'agenda' part of the guidelines was made a bit more rigorous. There have been several threads regarding this.
Seriously?? Soliciting? If that was the guideline in question, why haven't any reviewers pointed that out to the OP or in this thread? I'll ignore the issue of how promoting geocaching could be an agenda not allowed on the site.

As I've said, I'm in agreement that this type of ALR shouldn't be allowed. I just haven't read any guidelines that say it isn't allowed.

Are you actually arguing that the idea of requiring people to hide a cache to be able to log a find does not promote an agenda?

Are you actually arguing that the idea of requiring people to hide a cache to be able to log a find does not promote an agenda?

Promoting geocaching agendas are allowed. Requiring cachers to "place" caches is not.

Promoting geocaching agendas are allowed. Requiring cachers to "place" caches is not.
Are you saying that the guideline doesn't apply and that a different one applies, or that the guideline does apply and that some ways to promote geocaching are fine and some aren't. I assumed the latter. Edited by sbell111

...seed caches propagate more unmaintained or "lame" caches that they do quality thought out caches.

Even suggesting that everyone place a cache, although within the guidelines, can be viewed as undue influence on a cacher to do something that they are not ready to do.

As to the first part. WOW isn't part of the caching guidelines and should not be given as a reason to ban a cache type until it is.

As to the second. Since finding any one cache and completing the ALR is entirly optional the logic that someone has to place a cache before they are ready doesn't flow. They made a choice to seek a cache that had an ALR. They were as ready as they can be expected to be when they made the choice.

Most folks accept a caching agenda on a caching site where cachers come to do caching related things. It's more news worthy when caching things start getting banned on a caching site.

Most folks accept a caching agenda on a caching site where cachers come to do caching related things. It's more news worthy when caching things start getting banned on a caching site.
I would think that it would depend on the caching agenda. Like all agendas, some are palatable and some are not. This one, apparently, is not. Edited by sbell111

The first cache I ever found (no, not the first one I looked for) was a ODS cache :laughing:

I think it's a neet idea, but I agree that with so many around now it's kindof a bad idea.

As for me? I have 80 finds and just placed my first hide this past weekend.

Was I ready before? Probably. But it took me a couple of tries at making a cool cache container to come up with one worthy of putting out there (A friend pointing out a cool location close to home didn't hurt). It only took me about a month or so to get burned out on magnetic micros and 35mm canisters in trees. I had thought about putting 'seed containers' in a cache as swag, but I've decided against it based on some of the things already said here. I've really enjoyed the more creative caches I've found and would rather put out and see more stuff like that in stead of caches placed just because there isn't one within 528'.

...seed caches propagate more unmaintained or "lame" caches that they do quality thought out caches.

Even suggesting that everyone place a cache, although within the guidelines, can be viewed as undue influence on a cacher to do something that they are not ready to do.

As to the first part. WOW isn't part of the caching guidelines and should not be given as a reason to ban a cache type until it is.

Your quote is out of context. Please quote the whole thought or do not quote at all. - Thank you.

I couldn't find this cache in the archives so it is difficult to talk to it.

However, what you say is true, caches that require another cache to be placed will no longer be published.

A few years ago, it was a pretty popular idea to place seed caches out there to get more people to place caches. In many areas, caches were scarce and finding caches in a person's caching range were hard to find. After they found the 25-100 caches within 25 miles, they had to go to other cities to get caches.

Times have changed. We don't have the need to fill the area with more caches as they are typically plentiful and seed caches propagate more unmaintained or "lame" caches that they do quality thought out caches.

Starting with the 3rd paragraph. WOW isn't part of the caching guidelines and should not be given as a reason to ban a cache type until it is.

As to the second after the third paragraph. Since finding any one cache and completing the ALR is entirly optional the logic that someone has to place a cache before they are ready doesn't flow. They made a choice to seek a cache that had an ALR. They were as ready as they can be expected to be when they made the choice.

Nothing changed except taking up more screen real estate and making addressing where I didn't agree more difficult. I'm going to stick with good practice next time around. Thanks for helping me see why this is good practice.

Your quote is out of context. Please quote the whole thought or do not quote at all. - Thank you.

See my post above. Context can change meaning but in this case didn't. You clearly don't like lame caches via the seed cache concept. That you think they used to do some good when there were not many caches doesn't change the argument you used against seed caches.

CoastalFinds prophesied that I would indeed one day destroy geocaching.

I would love to have a token from the man who singlehandedly "destroyed geocaching". SASE enroute! :huh::(

Question: If I wanted a specific coin mooshed, (such as a visually aesthetic foreign coin), could I send it along, or would that involve too much work in set up? If so, what dimensions would be appropriate?

Edited by Clan Riffster