Another Cacher Already There

Chaircity

We have just joined the hunt in the past, but now that I think about it we should ask if they mind if we join them. I don't think we offended any of those whose hunt we joined, but it is something to think about in the future, particularly in areas we are not 'local' to.

Edited by bettsbugs

Hi and welcome to the forums, I see that you are from the Triad, a notoriously unfriendly part of the geostate of NC. If I were you I would run away as fast as possible if I encountered another cacher on the trails-especially a creacher.

Nah-just kidding, he's harmless. Here's the official greeting you should use:

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

But if that doesn't work, and they don't run from you-just try bing your normal as possible self and make introductions. Most cachers are pretty social people. B)

Just look at how fast you have gotten some replies in the mostly anonymous forums. B)B)

Haven't had this happen yet but what is the proper thing to do if you arrive at a cache location and another cacher is already there. Should you leave and return later or introduce yourself and join the hunt? What are some thoughts and opinions on this?

1) introduce yourself and join the search

2) walk away and come back later

3) prettend to be a non cacher and hang out close to the other cacher until they give up and leave

4) Pretend to be a homeless person looking for you pet rabbid squrial

5) Pretend to be a junkie looking for a lost kit

6) watch from a distance, once the other cacher has found the cache and leaves you could then locate the cache after he/she has done all the work.

Hi and welcome to the forums, I see that you are from the Triad, a notoriously unfriendly part of the geostate of NC. If I were you I would run away as fast as possible if I encountered another cacher on the trails-especially a creacher.

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

But if that doesn't work, and they don't run from you-just try bing your normal as possible self and make introductions. Most cachers are pretty social people. B)

Thanks for all the replies. I kind of think wigglesworth's approach (post2) sounds like the best. I'm not so sure about the New Jersey method. It might get you locked up around here. B) Funny you should mention creacher. I have found several of his hides. As soon as I see it is his, I know about what to look for. B)

Edited by Chaircity

Lot's of great advice here, especially that of Wimseyguy.

Creacher's are notoriously grouchy cachers. :laughing:

(and apparently I need to change up my hide methods!) :laughing:

Seriously though, some great advice has been offered. If I walk

up on another cacher already in the hunt, I usually just introduce

myself and ask if they mind me joining the hunt.

Like others mentioned above, I have met some awesome people this way!

Hmmmm. I thought the standard protocol was to (once you KNOW they're caching) approach innocuously and watch them sidelong as you close the distance. Be ready for their noticing you approach, and the instant they do, point emphatically at the nearest person & yell (don't scream) as loudly as possible, RED HANDED!!!

If you can remain hidden until the last moment (ie while you're still just out of reach & safe from a 'wild swing'), and can 'spring' it on them, so much the better. This one's particularly effective when done from a vehicle - sliding sideways to a stop amidst a cloud of dust & flying gravel, & yelling it out the open passenger-side window. (Just ask WW8Ball & SSGeo) *heh heh heehhhhh*

Of course, if you haven't found the cache before, you can just stand around making GC chitchat (acting like you already tagged it) and let them do all the work.

That's a lot funner than just "going away 'til later". For the only-few times you'll get the opp for a good laugh, don't let it escape!!

~*

This has happened a lot to us. Quite fun meeting other cachers.

Recently, I was acting nonchalant, and a girl biked by and yelled "Geocachers!".

Also, I had finished checking one of my hides once, and along came a guy and his grandson. Said they were looking for "Unhappy Elmer", my cache. I didn't fess up, but I noticed they didn't find it. Oh, well.

Hmmmm. I thought the standard protocol was to (once you KNOW they're caching) approach innocuously and watch them sidelong as you close the distance. Be ready for their noticing you approach, and the instant they do, point emphatically at the nearest person & yell (don't scream) as loudly as possible, RED HANDED!!!

If you can remain hidden until the last moment (ie while you're still just out of reach & safe from a 'wild swing'), and can 'spring' it on them, so much the better. This one's particularly effective when done from a vehicle - sliding sideways to a stop amidst a cloud of dust & flying gravel, & yelling it out the open passenger-side window. (Just ask WW8Ball & SSGeo) *heh heh heehhhhh*

Of course, if you haven't found the cache before, you can just stand around making GC chitchat (acting like you already tagged it) and let them do all the work.

That's a lot funner than just "going away 'til later". For the only-few times you'll get the opp for a good laugh, don't let it escape!!

~*

But if that doesn't work, and they don't run from you-just try bing your normal as possible self and make introductions. Most cachers are pretty social people. :(

Just look at how fast you have gotten some replies in the mostly anonymous forums. :D:huh:

Be careful when taking advice from that 'wimseyguy', I hears he hasn't been quite "right" :D since his reptile encounter.. But the Yaba daba baba. He, he, he part... works every time :D

Met many of my caching friends while on the trails...

-HHH :o

Yes, I think it's important to mention "geocacher" as one of the first few words you say to someone. A fellow CT cacher had a misunderstanding with a person while looking for a cache. Each asked the other if they were "looking for something," but one was looking for a geocache and the other was looking for something else. If the cacher had said, "Are you a geocacher," the other person would have been like, "Huh..." and the misunderstanding would have ended right there.