IGeoCacher Native iphone app

peteostro

Theres a native iPhone version of IGeoCacher out! Looks good. You can grab GPX files and import them. Once you get them on the phone you can then get info on the cache's offline. Use iPhones gps to find where you are relative to the cache, open it up in the native google maps app, also sort caches by your location. Looks pretty nice but its $15 so I have not bought it any one else care to post a review?

You can see a video of it here: http://www.ayefon.mobi/geo/movies/igc1.m4v

Here's the itunes store link (you need itunes installed) http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/W...34%2526mt%253D8

Edited by peteostro

Has anybody figured out how to set it up? Its definitely not user friendly in that regard.

Then again, I've been trying to set it up while on the phone with Verizon about some of our work phones so I can't concentrate on it.

EDIT: OK, I've got it now. Finally got Verizon off the phone B)

Edited by team140

15$ is really high priced. For that price I'd expect it to have a lot more depth and be a lot more user friendly. I'll wait for Geode to come out, and see how things balance out then. I was all ready to get this, but sticker shock stopped me - there are a lot of apps coming out now, and this is the most expensive one I've considered, but i'm going to have to wait - there are other viable alternatives that cost considerably less.

edit - I just watched the video for this app - why not use the same lat/long format geocaching.com uses?

Edited by sduck
15$ is really high priced.

With iPhone apps, the updates seem to be free, so if you assume that the app will improve over time, it's not outrageously expensive, plus the market for a geocaching app is MUCH smaller than, let's say for example, a video game app, so you have to factor that in.

I think I will probably end up writing my own, since anything anyone else writes won't do everything I want it to do.

--Marky

Yes, you're probably right - compared to many other apps like gsak and such it's probably not that bad a price. I still think I'll wait - the interface still sems awfully clunky to me, and I'd like a paperless addon to my 60csx that doesn't require the lat/long conversion.

15$ is really high priced.

With iPhone apps, the updates seem to be free, so if you assume that the app will improve over time, it's not outrageously expensive, plus the market for a geocaching app is MUCH smaller than, let's say for example, a video game app, so you have to factor that in.

I think I will probably end up writing my own, since anything anyone else writes won't do everything I want it to do.

--Marky

Marky,

I've been working on an app similar to this but more fully featured, and if you have any feedback that'll help make it more usable and more what you are looking for, I'd love to incorporate it. We've got a page with the features we have in development up at www.geodeapp.com, as well as a demo video. We are currently working on two versions - one 'Geode Companion' version that'll leave out the maps and compass and work for paperless caching (even on the iPod Touch), and a full featured version with all the features described on the site. Let me know what you think. The price range we are shooting for will be somewhere in the $5 to $8 range.

--matt