Null input to number crashes emulator

Geofellas

I am trying to get a user to input a value into a numeric variable and compare it against the value of another variable. This works fine provided a number is actually input but if the user enters nothing at all (in the emulator), it barfs. Both CheckValue and CorrectCode are numeric.

function zinputSecretCode:OnGetInput(input)
CheckValue = tonumber(input)
if   CheckValue == CorrectCode then
Wherigo.Dialog{{Text=[[OK - that looks good - ]] .. CheckValue ..[[. Carry on and good luck finding the cache :)]],},}
end
end

So I thought, lets make these string variables instead. But then the compare doesn't return a "true" even when correct (as I have been able to determine is the case with some debug messages).

I am also worried about using a numeric variable anyway - what if the user enters a non numeric character?

Edited by Geofellas

I am trying to get a user to input a value into a numeric variable and compare it against the value of another variable. This works fine provided a number is actually input but if the user enters nothing at all (in the emulator), it barfs. Both CheckValue and CorrectCode are numeric.

function zinputSecretCode:OnGetInput(input)
CheckValue = tonumber(input)
if   CheckValue == CorrectCode then
Wherigo.Dialog{{Text=[[OK - that looks good - ]] .. CheckValue ..[[. Carry on and good luck finding the cache :)]],},}
end
end

So I thought, lets make these string variables instead. But then the compare doesn't return a "true" even when correct (as I have been able to determine is the case with some debug messages).

I am also worried about using a numeric variable anyway - what if the user enters a non numeric character?

OK - always the way - post a question then figure out the answer. I needed to test for CheckValue == nil before displaying the dialog (setting it to 0 in that case)

Still not sure why the string compare doesn't work

Also if you enter a non numeric, tonumber(input) seems to return either null or 0

Edited by Geofellas